Thread: Body Flex and Creaking/Cracking Noises

My Cars
    E39

Unhappy Body Flex and Creaking/Cracking Noises

Hey all! After having our e39 for over 2 years, I’ve noticed that our car is making a lot of noises whenever the body “flexes.” This usually happens at slower speeds on uneven pavement while turning… especially onto a steep driveway or when it stops from slow speeds. The source of the cracking and bending noise seems to resonate around the door area.

Does anyone know if this is a normal thing with BMWs? Can you guys and gals do me a favor and be really observant and listen carefully while you drive? Do you think I’m just too picky of a passenger… or will I just have to live with it? Any suggestions on how to fix it? Thanks!

Maybe I should try to record the noise or something...

- m i k e

I get alot of creaks also...but i have a full suspension and aftermarket shock mounts so i expect it a little. I have actually been noticing it more lately. Anyways...just turn the radio up a little louder. A stock car though should not have those types of noises...especially a five series.

My Cars
    miss my rieger 3, but love my new S2000!
    yeah i get them too sometimes...and they are mostly in the same circumstances that you described too.
    i am going to order an xbrace soon to resolve the problem though

i would suggest an x brace to you too, but i don't know if 5 series utilize them?
    ...'Cause every hand's a winner and every hand's a loser.
    And the best that you can hope for, is to die in your sleep'

My Cars
    95 m3, 03 X5, 06 X3
    xbrace won't fit a 5series only 3 series or z3's. you might want to check the little plastic door panel fasteners. they tend to break as the car ages.
    #71 SM
    04 Silver Grey M3
    95 Arctic Silver M3
    03 X5 3.0L Titanium Silver
    07 GX470- Silver

Molon Labe...
    Excellence is a habit, not an act.

My Cars
    miss my rieger 3, but love my new S2000!
    Originally posted by BJO
    xbrace won't fit a 5series only 3 series or z3's. you might want to check the little plastic door panel fasteners. they tend to break as the car ages.
    that's kind of what i thought. i don't ever remember hearing about an x brace on a 5er.

would have been a nice solution though
    ...'Cause every hand's a winner and every hand's a loser.
    And the best that you can hope for, is to die in your sleep'

My Cars
    E39
    Thanks for the suggestions!

My Cars
    88 M5 FOR SALE, E92 335i
    The E39 is the stiffest chassis available on the market. The creaks are all of the leather parts rubbing each other, not the chassis flexing too much. Try some leather treatment (e.g. Lexol) to reduce creaks. Also, use some "Gummipfledge" on all of the rubber door seals, available from the dealer. This should reduce the creaking noises.

Also, check for any loose interior trim panels.
    James Muskopf
    RRT Racing
    DC Metro's premier BMW service and racing facility

My Cars
    '02 530i, Alpine White, Xenon Lights, S/P Packages
    Mike, I'm new to this forum but I know all to well what you're experiencing. My car has that cracking sound as well. I still have warranty so I took it to the dealer and they replaced a calapsed boot on the drivers side front wheel. After a few days the noise returned. This time I'm going to another dealership before my warranty expires. I'll keep you posted.

My Cars
    5/94 Euro 325i coupe
    I know what you're talking about, I started to get a lot of noises whenever the body flexes after I put the 450/550 springs but I wouldn't trade the handling for anything

Quote Originally Posted by ClintonM3 View Post
    the Audi A4 is a tweaked, cosmetically enhanced, cross platform, put-together overnight VW.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeuser528e View Post
    Staggard setups are for cars that you park at show meets. They go well with 5 screens and 3 12"s.

My Cars
    M2CS
    Could need new door seals also.
    M2CS 6-spd

My Cars
    M2CS
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesM3M5
    The E39 is the stiffest chassis available on the market. The creaks are all of the leather parts rubbing each other, not the chassis flexing too much. Try some leather treatment (e.g. Lexol) to reduce creaks. Also, use some "Gummipfledge" on all of the rubber door seals, available from the dealer. This should reduce the creaking noises.

Also, check for any loose interior trim panels.
    Wouldn't the E60 be stiffer as I would imagine BMW progressed from the last model?
    M2CS 6-spd