Thread: How to check if 540i HFM is in working order?

My Cars
    95 M3 & 98 M3 Sedan

How to check if 540i HFM is in working order?

Guys,

well, my 540i HFM has just arrived. since my car does not have the software yet for the larger HFM, how could i check to see if the HFM is working? I was told to measure the resistance? how to do that and what is the required ohm readings?

the only thing i check was the part number on the HFM, it matches. it's a 4-wire connector. 1-702-078 and it's a Bosch HFM, etc. etc.

It's clean, the grills are in place, no cosmetic damages what so ever. just kind of dusty...since it's been sitting in a salvage yard's counter.

also what should i use to clean it up, inside/out. air compressor? water? anything ideas would be appreciated.

TIA

M3jokster
    2008 Honda Odyssey Touring
    1998 Arctic Silver ///M3 Sedan (Bone Stock )
    1995 Arctic Silver ///M3 3.2L OBD1-Vortech SC Stage 2 w/ Schrick Cams, Aftercooler, and FMHE. Aquamist 1S, 3.38 LSD, AA Gen III exhaust, BMW OEM X-brace, //M Motorsport Brace, Front Euro Floaters w/ Ultimate Axxis, Koni Sports w/ H&R sport springs, Eibach Sways, UUC Evo3 SSK w/DSSR, Euro clear all around and Ellipsoids, Alpine CDA-7864 w/ Blaupunkt Amp JL stealth boxes, Forged LTW Staggered Rims.

The Forced has been Introduced!
    Euro 6spd Gear box - Installed!

98M3 OBD2 parts, Intake manifolds, Reducers, etc etc.......Click here to email me

My Cars
    95 M3 & 98 M3 Sedan
    could anyone that has a 5-series bentley manual, please scan the resistance requirements on the HFM. thanks

i only have a 3-series manual.
    1995 Arctic Silver ///M3 3.2L OBD1-Vortech SC Stage 2 w/ Schrick Cams, Aftercooler, and FMHE. Aquamist 1S, 3.38 LSD, AA Gen III exhaust, BMW OEM X-brace, //M Motorsport Brace, Front Euro Floaters w/ Ultimate Axxis, Koni Sports w/ H&R sport springs, Eibach Sways, UUC Evo3 SSK w/DSSR, Euro clear all around and Ellipsoids, Alpine CDA-7864 w/ Blaupunkt Amp JL stealth boxes, Forged LTW Staggered Rims.

98M3 OBD2 parts, Intake manifolds, Reducers, etc etc.......Click here to email me

My Cars
    '95 M3, '91 Miata, '05 SV650S
    I think I recall hearing that the check listed in the Bentley manual was bogus and could not be trusted for the HFM. I think Brett Anderson commented on this a while ago if memory serves....

My Cars
    95 M3 & 98 M3 Sedan
    i checked the archive.......nothing with brett and the hfm?

My Cars
    '95 M3, '91 Miata, '05 SV650S
    Sorry...I don't believe I read it in this forum....I think it was in the back of the Roundel or perhaps it was in the UUC digest. Just something I recall.

My Cars
    2005 M3
    This may not be easy for you, but if you have a good local BMW shop that you trust, take it by them. They should either know how to test it, or even better, have an e34 540i in the shop so they can test it in the actual car. From what I was told by some BMW mechanics I know, the HFM either works or doesn't and you would know as soon as you turn on the car. That is what I was able to do.
    James
    2005 Imola Red M3 - VF Stage I Supercharged Street/Track Car
    E46 M3 VF Engineering Stage I Supercharger DIY

Are you planning to run the HFM w/o software?

Are you planning to run the HFM w/o software?

Wondering if that will cause any damage? Cause the car to run lean?

Nick

My Cars
    95 M3 & 98 M3 Sedan
    no, i will run the HFM w/ software.......since i don't have the software yet, and i have 90 days warranty........i just want to know if the unit is in working order........they say it works........but then how do i know? It did came from a salvage yard.