Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drifting question??

My Cars
    SOLD

Question Drifting question??

so we got a light snow covering and i went to an open parking lot and wanted to have a little fun with my car. I would cut the wheel and give it gas and the whole car started vibrating? and like the ass doesn't want to kick out like it should, it normally does, but i have never tried to have the car sideways? I then stopped because i didn't want to hurt anything, and tried again and the same thing? what could cause this? it felt like maybe the front tire was being pushed sideways, but i dont think it would shake like that..i was only going like 20mph.. also my car is a 5 speed if that makes a difference and the traction control was off.

could it be cause i have an LSD? but im almost positive my car didn't come with one... 98' 328

any help would be great!!

My Cars
    2007 328i, 2004 R1150r
    maybe you were in too high of a gear?

i've done the same in my mom's '06 325xi, and it messes around in the snow really well.

but yeah, too high a gear is the only thing that i can think of.

My Cars
    you didn't have the rear end sliding... the rear end was gripping, creating the vibration. you need to shock the rear wheels loose with either proper technique or a clutch-kick. you weren't hurting your car, though.

try a 2nd gear clutch kick while turning at about 20 mph. if the vibration continues badly while you are drifting, i wouldn't do it for very long.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    unless you changed your diff or a previous owner did, you dont have lsd. so the vibration was probably the tire that wasnt spinnig hopping, it wasnt slippery enough out. If you had LSD you wouldnt have this problem because both wheels would be spinning

My Cars
    2006 Toyota Tundra
    i think its cause you dont have an LSD cause in the snow these cars loose traction pretty easily

My Cars
    very fast bicycles
    do you have traction conrol on? abs will do that when you go sideways sometimes.

My Cars
    v8 rx7, turbo cosworth rx7, ae86, yzfr6 on the way
    I get tire hop due to a bad diff.

Also you have to break traction. For low speed drifts I think that revving it up in first and then shifting quick to second and popping the clutch.

Probably your car is just starting to break but the lsd wont let it.

As long as the tires are moving faster than the ground under them, you can just whip the wheel around all day long.

My Cars
    325ix, 951, RX7 Racecar
    The car was shaking in fear of its doom at the hands of a poorly skilled driver trying to drift.
    Dave Heinz
    McB Autosport Data Coach
    www.datacoaching.com
    My Flickr

My Cars
    2006 Toyota Tundra
    Quote Originally Posted by D.R.
    The car was shaking in fear of its doom at the hands of a poorly skilled driver trying to drift.
    you have to start somewere. snow would probably be easier than rain or straight up dry

My Cars
    v8 rx7, turbo cosworth rx7, ae86, yzfr6 on the way
    I remember the days of learning:
    So wait, all I do it turn the steering wheel?
    No you need to pull the ebrake
    ooohhh ok here we go

all on dry. Im on my third set of tires in 6 months.

scariest thing ever is having your tire pop off of your rim while doing a 180. Or better yet doing a 180 to turn around on a large road and stalling because your car just decided to idle at 500 this month...

My Cars
    2006 Toyota Tundra
    Quote Originally Posted by photopaintball
    I remember the days of learning:
    So wait, all I do it turn the steering wheel?
    No you need to pull the ebrake
    ooohhh ok here we go

all on dry. Im on my third set of tires in 6 months.

scariest thing ever is having your tire pop off of your rim while doing a 180. Or better yet doing a 180 to turn around on a large road and stalling because your car just decided to idle at 500 this month...
    are u serious?

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe
    Very simple: your car was vibrating because it was understeering. Understeer is when you turn the wheels and the car continues to go straight, rather than follow the arc that the wheel angle would suggest. In contrast to this is oversteering wherein the car rotates more than the arc of the wheels, brining the back end around; this is what you're trying to do when you talk about drifting.

From the sound of it, you were going much to fast for the conditions. I'm not talking about safety here, I'm just talking about drifting. The way you want to initiate a drift is to begin turning, just like you normally would, and once the car begins to turn *then* you add some power, pull the e-brake or drop the clutch to get the rear end to break loose. From there you can keep the rear end hangining out by using the throttle to keep the wheels spinning as needed. Make sense? See if you can find the video "drift bible" it's an OK intro to drifting.
    Drew | Dinomite.net
    1997 Boston Green ///M3 Coupe Lightweight wheels, non-luxury, no sunroof.
    1994 Volvo 940 Race Wagon

My Cars
    e30 M3, e39, Cappuccino
    Quote Originally Posted by dinomite
    Very simple: your car was vibrating because it was understeering. Understeer is when you turn the wheels and the car continues to go straight, rather than follow the arc that the wheel angle would suggest. In contrast to this is oversteering wherein the car rotates more than the arc of the wheels, brining the back end around; this is what you're trying to do when you talk about drifting.

From the sound of it, you were going much to fast for the conditions. I'm not talking about safety here, I'm just talking about drifting. The way you want to initiate a drift is to begin turning, just like you normally would, and once the car begins to turn *then* you add some power, pull the e-brake or drop the clutch to get the rear end to break loose. From there you can keep the rear end hangining out by using the throttle to keep the wheels spinning as needed. Make sense? See if you can find the video "drift bible" it's an OK intro to drifting.
    thats what i was thinking, my car understeers badly, and thats what it does, it doesnt turn much at all, and it vibrates, also to add on the the drift bible thing, it also helps to, i dont remember what it's called, but to turn one direction, and then quickly turn back the other direction. Get the drift bible if you want to learn. i can't do it because my cars low powered with no lsd, and it understeers

My Cars
    E93 M3, E21 320is, Jeep
    Quote Originally Posted by theflyingcow40
    i dont remember what it's called, but to turn one direction, and then quickly turn back the other direction.
    its a feint, and about the only way to to drift an underpowered car in the dry. in the snow, i dont know if it will work, because it sounds like his car just wants to understeer either way. A clutch pop wont work, cuz he will find himself spinning out very easily in the snow if he does this. drifting without an LSD is just not gonna work properly without perfect conditions.

My Cars
    Whether it's an open diff or an LSD has nothing to do with it.

My Cars
    92 240sx FB
    Oh jesus... I'm suprised nobody has suggested to pull the e-brake. Understeer=pull e-brake

Clutch kick would be fine depending on how much u gas it and how fast you're going. If the rpm's aren't too high when u clutch kick, the shock to the rear shouldn't be as bad.

My Cars
    red poopbox
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwretard
    Whether it's an open diff or an LSD has nothing to do with it.
    sort of.....

its very hard to drift without LSD

Element Tuning - 2008/2009 NJMP Redline Time Attack/Formula X Champions [Street & Modified]
    RightFootDown

FS: E36 OEM fogs | UUC Chromoly RLCA's

My Cars
    92 240sx FB
    Quote Originally Posted by orijinal poser
    sort of.....

It's not too hard w.o an LSD if it's wet out or in his case icy.

My Cars
    '05 s2000
    I drift quite easily in my 1999 323is w.o LSD, even on dry. Though far easier on wet, I just start moving in first, keep it in first until decent speed, then turn sharp and gas it, and voila, lots of tire screetch and sideways motion with rear coming around first, then do countersteer and regain control and shift as redline approaches. Then again, I have all-season tires, so perhaps they don't grip the road as well and thus make it easier? You tell me, I dunno.

Save it.

My Cars
    1994 325is
    You still had traction and there probably wasnt enough snow on the ground.

You need to have a pretty decent amount on the ground to snow drift..

and with an open diff it will work fine, an lsd is better, but using a faint style drift by throwing the car into a slide will work fine.
    1994 325is - s50/zf trans/TRM chip/s52 headers/21.5lb injctrs/3.5 HFM/M3 brakes/billy sports/hr springs/reinforced subframe/camber plates/adj ctrl arms/3.15 LSD
    2004 Volvo s40 T5 - Daily
    2000 GMC k2500 5.7 - 33's/frame off resto'd
    1989 Chevrolet k2500 5.7 rclb

My Cars
    sort of.....

um... no. it actually happens to be quite easy.

an accurate statement would be: "it is slightly more difficult to powerslide without an LSD when in a low-hp car."

My Cars
    '01 Mcoupe / '16 Golf R
    It's gotta be the DSC. I have NO problem drifting heavier and less powerful RWD cars inlight snow w/ winter tires. There shouldn't be too much resistance there.

My Cars
    red poopbox
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwretard
    um... no. it actually happens to be quite easy.

an accurate statement would be: "it is slightly more difficult to powerslide without an LSD when in a low-hp car."
    yea, but true drifting does not = powersliding.

when you start to do REAL drifting and start doing combos (linking the turns) and other combinations, open diff will not be enough. 2 way LSD owns in the drift world.

Element Tuning - 2008/2009 NJMP Redline Time Attack/Formula X Champions [Street & Modified]
    RightFootDown

FS: E36 OEM fogs | UUC Chromoly RLCA's

My Cars
    '03 M3, '92 525i
    sort of.....

its harder to maintain a drift, just as easy to initiate one....
    '03 E46 M3 - "Brittney"
    '92 E34 525i - "Ivanka"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast