Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 318is supercharger?

My Cars
    Toyota Pickup

Question 318is supercharger?

i was wondering what companies make a supercharger or a turbocharger for an 318is, its a 91 and im haveing trouble finding any kind of super or turbo kit

My Cars
    318iS 91 - x3 05 - m3 97
    there's only one turbo/supercharge kit for the 318is E30 known to man

Before you get all exicted it's 3k gbp

there you go ---> http://www.tdi-plc.com/bmwE30318iS.htm

My Cars
    1991 318is
    yo I'm breaking down and writing these guys to find out some folks who have the kit installed...

I think I can speak for, um, M42 nation that we wanna know the real deal with their kits.

I'm giddy... like geraldo!

My Cars
    90 325iS50, 98 Jetta :-/
    Well, has anyone over here cut their M42 to the 2 liters? If it gives you 170 bhp just by increasing it that much, why don't more people do this? It doesn't seem like it would be that much trouble, seeing how many people around me bore out 8 cylinders like there's no tomorrow. If you could take it to say a 2.2, how much power do you think would be kicked out with minor mods?

My Cars
    1991 318is
    well, this guy did it to his e36 m42

http://bimmerforums.com/forum/showth...t=built-up+m42

increasing the stroke yields about 2130cc and around 170hp, up to 200hp with some flow work and other stuff...

someone needs to jump in!

My Cars
    90 325iS50, 98 Jetta :-/
    I really want to build my M42!!!! I've seriously been considering rebuilding it for all motor power. I want to do it so bad, I just need the money. I would love to not have FI, or a swap, but be able to take on things that most E30's couldn't. And then when people ask, I could tell them I just have the M42. Man....I'm dreaming now. Maybe after I come back from the military or whatever I end up doing I can try it.

My Cars
    89 325is
    ive had my m42 for a while now the balance is great but its not enough power. if you want easy power buy a 325i, chip it, intake, exhaust. simple.

My Cars
    1991 E30 318is, 1956 2dr belair
    Quote Originally Posted by Prozak
    ive had my m42 for a while now the balance is great but its not enough power. if you want easy power buy a 325i, chip it, intake, exhaust. simple.
    noone said they wanted an m20, get your uncreative ass out of here.

My Cars
    91 318is, 92 m-technic
    whenever someone asks about moding the m42, someone always chims in with the argument that with the amount of $$ your gonna spend, you might as well do a swap. cost wise, its just not feasible. And then the discussion dies down. I would like to see someone bore thier m42 to 2 liters. I think 2.2 is cutting it really close.

My Cars
    91' 318is
    This whole problem is in the crankshaft and not the pistons needed or the rods. you cant get enough displacment with simply boring the block. A longer strock is needed and there is only two ways to do this, buy a longer strock crank or get yours welded and reground with a longer strock.

A welded crank is not a good idea for the revs these little motors run, and buying a crank is going to require buying it from europe or have one machined out of billet.

These are all pricey ideas but not impossible. There is a possibility of having some one like scat make a crank if there was enough of a market.

I too would like to keep my engine 4 cyl. only and not do some conversion. I just want more NA power, I have no interest in forced induction of 6 cyl, if I did I woudl have bought a 6cyl. car and not a 4.

My Cars
    What's a strock? You mean stroke?

Anyway, looks like a crank from a diesel M43 would work to increase displacement (see the thread posted above). However, the cost estimates that guy has aren't relevant in the US since labor costs are higher here than in South Africa.

The Downing Atlanta S/C is a bolt on kit for the e36 M42, so it would go on pretty easily in an e30 I would think. However, the lack of knock sensors in the e30 make that risky.

I think either Grassroots Motorsports or Wayne Dempsey's new book is going to cover an e30 M42 supercharger installation. I know I just read about somewhere but can't find the link now. I'll post again when I have more info.

My Cars
    91 318is, 92 m-technic
    the DA supercharger is made for the m44 engine b/c theres no knock sensors in the m42

My Cars
    BMW. BMW. BMW. Chevy
    Jesus Christ guys, get your facts straight will ya?

The DA will fit the M42 (92-95) and M44 (96-99) but it will not work on the 91 318is (M42) because it doesn't use a serpentine belt. To make it work you need the harmonic balancer, AC compressor clutch/pulley and 92-93 fuel rail. Then it "could" work.

To reply to the "no knock sensors"... people have been supercharging motors (car and planes) since the 30's and they didn't have knock sensors. Come on people, haven't you ever seen a 50's Chevy with a blower (same as a supercharger) ?

I've been looking real close at my cars (98 318ti - supercharged, 91 318is - NA). The hurdle I keep running into is room. It looks like one may need to relocate the brake booster and master cylinder to make room.

Just in case you are curious, Grassroots Motorsport (mag) picked up a 91 318is and is looking into doing these mods...stay tuned...

Sheridan
    "It's better to be blown than stroked."
    98 supercharged 318ti Sport (track toy)
    04 325i Sport Wagon (5spd, her toy)
    91 318is (daily fix)

My Cars
    91' 318is
    I have been thinking about forced induction in my 318is and was thinking of a rotrex. I am not looking for huge power and a rotrex would fit the bill. I think a piggy back fuel management would be able to deal with 6psi of boost and so would the engine even if it does not have a knock sensor.

I am of the same opinion that a knock sensor is not a required part of the equation if there is plenty of fuel and a good sized intercooler.

The knock sensor is a car manufacturers safe guard for stupid drivers since they have been extending power train warranties. It is not a requirement just a safe guard.

I would like to find a rotrex for cheap if some one has one. I now that is probably not popssible but if some one runs across one I would like to try this installation.

My Cars
    E36,Ram 1500,07 M50
    Quote Originally Posted by mk-ultra
    there's only one turbo/supercharge kit for the 318is E30 known to man

Before you get all exicted it's 3k gbp

there you go ---> http://www.tdi-plc.com/bmwE30318iS.htm
    Do you guys know anyone who has actually tried the supercharger? It sounds like an awesome ride.

ಠ__ಠ''

My Cars
    1990 BMW 535ia
    Quote Originally Posted by ADRNLN_ti
    To reply to the "no knock sensors"... people have been supercharging motors (car and planes) since the 30's and they didn't have knock sensors. Come on people, haven't you ever seen a 50's Chevy with a blower (same as a supercharger) ?

Sheridan
    Very true, however most of those cars were not already running premium. It takes only a small amount of chip tweaking to require 93 octane in an m42.
    These motors are pretty close to the edge.

We have a poor cmbustion chamber design (compared to Honda's) and a high compression. Both equal death for a motor unless you are extremely carefull.

This is not a Honda, there is no such thing as "bolt on" horsepower.

Also, your statement regarding 30's vehicles is a bit missleading. Fuel improved at an alarming rate allowing for adding lots of boost since the engines were so low on compression to handle it. This continued into the 60's.

Up until computer control, engines had lots of leeway in compression, especially as gas development progressed. You could put just about anything into a 30's engine and it would burn. The M42, does not have this advantage. It was high strung then, just as it is now.

My Cars
    91 318is, gmc suburban
    i shouldn't post this here because this is an old thread but i though it belongs here because its relevant. this is a up close shot of my car that has what i think is most of the downing Atalanta kit on it, its been converted to serpentine and all that and was running pretty well. i bought this project from a friend of mine, it is extremely cobbled together and is driving me mad right now here is a pick or two. its a 91 318is with 73,644 miles

My Cars
    1984 BMW 318i
    Looks great
    Self Taught Moron.
    M10 FOR LIFE!

My Cars
    1989 BMW 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by kowalski

noone said they wanted an m20, get your uncreative ass out of here.
    And this is why I hate the internet. It's full of illiterate morons who think they need to swear at someone at every given time. The guy had a decent suggestion for someone who is on the cheap, stop being a child.

My Cars
    supercharged 97 m3
    http://www.koperformance.com/BMW/tur...harger_kit.htm

My mechanic bought a z3 with this kit. Nice reliable package, good power for a small fun car...

This supercharger system provides excellent low end torque...

Not pushing KO, but the system works..
    Insufficient funds...

My Cars
    325i Cabrio,
    Quote Originally Posted by off center View Post
    i shouldn't post this here because this is an old thread but i though it belongs here because its relevant. this is a up close shot of my car that has what i think is most of the downing Atalanta kit on it, its been converted to serpentine and all that and was running pretty well. i bought this project from a friend of mine, it is extremely cobbled together and is driving me mad right now here is a pick or two. its a 91 318is with 73,644 miles

Once you get the bugs worked out I bet that thing will be a blast! I had an 04 mini Cooper S with a lot of mods (225HP Total + Carbon fiber Bonnet and Hatch) and my favorite part was the formula 1 sounding super charger. I'll take that whine over a turbo woosh any day

My Cars
    91 318is, gmc suburban
    yeah the car does sound great, and its a blast to drive even not running perfectly. the whine reminds me for a 70 chevelle ss i had with the m22 rockcrusher 4spd of course this is much more pronounced.

My Cars
    1986 325es
    Quote Originally Posted by WSchnitz

And this is why I hate the internet. It's full of illiterate morons who think they need to swear at someone at every given time. The guy had a decent suggestion for someone who is on the cheap, stop being a child.
    Not to mention cursing isnt really allowed in this forum. Noobs need to read the rules before they think they are all that. The best thing to do when you join a forum is to lay low for a while and learn the ropes before you hotrod it.

My Cars
    86 325e
    I put a webber carb kit on a M10 and it was a world of difference. Once the jets were right. Carb the sucker and boost it.
    1986 325e coupe
    1987 325i sedan sold
    1985 318i sedan sold
    1985 318i sedan sold
    1984 318i coupe sold
    1967 C/10 SS 383 M21
    2006 KX250
    horsepower sells cars torque wins races. "caroll shelby".

My Cars
    Supercharged '91 318IS
    Sorry to dig up an old post but I have a 1991 318is WITH the DASC supercharger kit on my m42, all installed properly and everything runs great, but the PO turned the boost down to 5 PSI. The car is a dream to drive and a blast compared to my first stock 318is, but I'm getting boost hungry. Anyone know how high I could turn this thing up reliably? And most of all I just want to hear the S/C. Right now you can't hear any whine from it, it would be nice to have a little sound and added power. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast