Thread: Considering buying this '92 325i M3 conversion, thoughts?

My Cars
    524td, 533i & '92 325i

Considering buying this '92 325i M3 conversion, thoughts?

It's listed on autotrader here.

The S50 engine upgrade
    The tan interior.

Dislikes:
    I don't care much for the M3 body parts
    The clear signal lenses, and
    BLACK is my least favorite color.

But I'm posting here to get your thoughts...

Some more information from the seller:
    "It's a 1992 BMW 325i body and frame. The engine, transmission, rear differential, rear brakes, engine accessories, a/c, wheels, side skirts, front spoiler, rear bumper, trim, side mirrors, instrument cluster, shift knob, ebrake handle, have all been changed to 1995 M3. The engine is right at 100K miles, as well as the M3 components that go with it. There is also a sway kit, strut bar, performance chip, cold air kit, rear spoiler, 20% window tint, CD player, and alarm.

The vehicle needs new tires and didn't pass emissions. The CO2 was high.

Other than emmissions, he car runs great and drives even better. It's pretty quick and has a nice overall appearance. Very clean. The ebrake is inoperative as well, not because its broken, but because the rear rotors and calipers have been changed to M3 and the ebrake pads don't reach the inside of the larger M3 rotor. Other than what has been said so far, the car as far as I know has no mechanical issues and runs fantastic. As far as history, I bought the car three years ago from a motorsport shop owner . He did the entire mechanical part of the conversion and mods. I did the asthetic parts to finish making it look like an M3."

Pics for those you don't like clicking links:

Last edited by mrdane; 02-21-2006 at 11:20 PM.

My Cars
    '12 135i
    If you don't buy it, I will.
    -Jeff
    '12 135i (Space Grey): Stock
    '98 323is (Schwartz II) (Sold ): UUC SSK w/ clutch stop, UUC UDPs, Cosmos short ram intake, Fan delete, M3 cats and exhaust, M50 manifold, CDV delete, H&R Sport + Bilstein sports
    Smoke corners, clear sides and tails, rear lip spoiler, Umnitza depo euro ellipsoids w/ DDEs, Apexcone DDM HID 6000k, black grills, M3 front bumper, mirrors, and rear diffuser, CSL reps

'04 M3 (Estoril) (Sold ): SMG, Meisterschaft SUS exhaust, GC coilovers, Hotchkiss sway bars, Brembo BBK w/ Estoril calipers
    Estoril side reflectors & headlight trim, Rep Strassentech front lip, Vorsteiner CSL trunklid and rear diffuser, ACS roof spoiler, automatic rear sunshade, HRE 545R

My Cars
    2004 M3
    I don't care much for the M3 body parts, the clear signal lenses, and BLACK is my least favorite color
    2004 SilberGrau M3 Coupe 6MT No roof No Power or Heated Seats No Nav

My Cars
    2006 Toyota Tundra
    have it checked out and you should be fine. it looks good but make sure that a good mechanic checks it out.

but if you dont like black i would save up for what u exactly want

My Cars
    '12 135i
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbone325
    +1
    -Jeff
    '12 135i (Space Grey): Stock
    '98 323is (Schwartz II) (Sold ): UUC SSK w/ clutch stop, UUC UDPs, Cosmos short ram intake, Fan delete, M3 cats and exhaust, M50 manifold, CDV delete, H&R Sport + Bilstein sports
    Smoke corners, clear sides and tails, rear lip spoiler, Umnitza depo euro ellipsoids w/ DDEs, Apexcone DDM HID 6000k, black grills, M3 front bumper, mirrors, and rear diffuser, CSL reps

'04 M3 (Estoril) (Sold ): SMG, Meisterschaft SUS exhaust, GC coilovers, Hotchkiss sway bars, Brembo BBK w/ Estoril calipers
    Estoril side reflectors & headlight trim, Rep Strassentech front lip, Vorsteiner CSL trunklid and rear diffuser, ACS roof spoiler, automatic rear sunshade, HRE 545R

Mitch is offline for science, you monster Secret Santa Deadbeat
    My Cars
    cars
    Well, for whoever gets it, find out who did the conversion, call them, and if possible check them out yourself. Potentially a great car. Potentially a nightmare. Best of luck.

My Cars
    2004 M3
    Car looks pretty good. No e-brake is pretty gay, but poor emissions could be as simple as (as it was in my case) bad O2 sensor ($65) or maybe cats.
    2004 SilberGrau M3 Coupe 6MT No roof No Power or Heated Seats No Nav

My Cars
    95 M3
    Thats really cheap, pick it up while you can.

My Cars
    92' 325is, 99' Maxima
    I agree with you on the black aspect...too many out there. I disagree with you on the mods though. If you want a sports car, buy a sports car. If you want a luxury car, buy just that. There is no point to buying a bimmer and making it look like a benz.

Many people cannot afford the M, and rightfully so. So, they mod their car to emulate the M without the hefty insurance cost.

IMHO...I cannot make my car look like an M fast enough. gl

My Cars
    97 M3, 98 328i, 13 Cruze
    You can buy it and trade for a green 325i

My Cars
    Anthracite 2000 540i/6
    as long as it doesnt have an ///M badge.......

1994 325iC/5 Sport
    1999 323i/5 Sport
    2000 540i/6 Sport... Pics to come

My Cars
    E36!

+2

My Cars
    88' Audi 80 Quattro
    Quote Originally Posted by yuck
    Many people cannot afford the M, and rightfully so. So, they mod their car to emulate the M without the hefty insurance cost.
    That is exactly why I purchased a 328. Insurance was half the cost of the M. Plus, I get to do the fun mods to convert it to an M or better!!

My Cars
    moded e36 4 banger
    have it checked then go for but overall sounds good to me
    coul

My Cars
    early 92 325i E36
    That car looks pretty slick. How often do you find a 14 year old car that looks that good for that price. Emissions e-shmissions. Move to SC and never worry about an inspection again. We have the most dangerous and un-roadworthy vehicles in the US driving every day. I'm no emisions pro, but could be as simple as increasing fuel octane, running the car on the highway to get the cats super hot first, or making sure they measure it as a 3 liter motor raather than 2.5 (if that makes a diff. I would think they have diff standards for a 1.6 honda and a 5.6 liter dodge)