Thread: Possible Vacuum Leak?

My Cars
    Recovering Boost Junkie...

Possible Vacuum Leak?

Maybe FI crowd could give me an insight.

When my car was at a shop, they said they found a vacuum leak at the "sucking jet pump" area and fixed. Over the weekend, as I was going through the car in detail, I heard faint "sheeee" noise at the sucking jet pump area (Please look at the diagram, #1, hose that goes to brake boost pump).

Question, is that supposed to make that faint & hit pitched "sheee~" noise? I tried tightening all the hoses around that area with no difference in result. I already ordered a new part from BMW because I have a strange feeling that the vacuum leak issue is still present. Any input?

The car holds its idle well, and part & WOT throttle seems spot on, LTFT stays the same. Maybe the noise is normal. Or maybe it's such small leak that the car adjusted to it already. I would like to verify that this air leaking noise is normal for sucking jet pump before I pay $70+ to replace it with a brand new one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2008 X5 4.8i
    2003 330xi -sold-
    2001 X5 4.4i -sold-
    2001 M5 -sold-
    2001 M Roadster (SCed, Highly modified) -sold-
    2000 M Roadster -sold-
    1995 325is -sold-

My Cars
    Honda
    try spraying some carb cleaner in that area to see if your revs surge. That usually works in some cases.

My Cars
    977rwhp SAE and 821
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerpwr
    Maybe FI crowd could give me an insight.

When my car was at a shop, they said they found a vacuum leak at the "sucking jet pump" area and fixed. Over the weekend, as I was going through the car in detail, I heard faint "sheeee" noise at the sucking jet pump area (Please look at the diagram, #1, hose that goes to brake boost pump).

Question, is that supposed to make that faint & hit pitched "sheee~" noise? I tried tightening all the hoses around that area with no difference in result. I already ordered a new part from BMW because I have a strange feeling that the vacuum leak issue is still present. Any input?

The car holds its idle well, and part & WOT throttle seems spot on, LTFT stays the same. Maybe the noise is normal. Or maybe it's such small leak that the car adjusted to it already. I would like to verify that this air leaking noise is normal for sucking jet pump before I pay $70+ to replace it with a brand new one.
    The noise you hear is in the manifold, kind of a suction sound, thats normal, you car is drive by wire ant little leak will affect drivability and WOT maps.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPORTEDCARS
    The noise you hear is in the manifold, kind of a suction sound, thats normal, you car is drive by wire ant little leak will affect drivability and WOT maps.
    It is definitely not from the manifold...The noise is very faint yet high pitched "shee" noise coming from *sucking jet pump* area. This is the very spot that a leak was found and fixed...

When I put my fingers over different areas of sucking jet pump, the noise faints even more or gets back to its normal pitch. If that says anything...

Anyways, until someone with S54 Roadster puts his ears right at the sucking jet pump and verify that the noise is normal, I guess I will have to replace the part...
    2008 X5 4.8i
    2003 330xi -sold-
    2001 X5 4.4i -sold-
    2001 M5 -sold-
    2000 M Roadster -sold-
    1995 325is -sold-

My Cars
    i put in the new part yesterday and it makes the same sound, from inside of the *sucking jet pump*, no leaks, just a suction sound inside of the pump.
    2008 X5 4.8i
    2003 330xi -sold-
    2001 X5 4.4i -sold-
    2001 M5 -sold-
    2000 M Roadster -sold-
    1995 325is -sold-