Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: does anyone have a custom subwoofer box? is it worth it?

My Cars
    '11 M3 Coupe

does anyone have a custom subwoofer box? is it worth it?

some guy I met last night told me he'd build me one for 300. Is it worth it? He had a 325is with orion speakers in it and it sounded great...does a custom box make that much of a difference? is it worth 300? or can I find it cheaper?

My Cars
    99 M3, 90 535iA, 89 325is
    What do you mean by "custom"? Most subwoofers require a box of a specific size. Some subs can be loaded into different size boxes. Going to Best Buy and buying a generic box of an unknown internal volume won't cut it. Then again, if this guy doesn't follow the specs, the sub can sound like crap, too. A custom box with proper internal volume built usin high quality materials is the best you can get. His price is a little high, though. Does his price include the subs? If so, it might be a good deal.
    bmwpower / bmwcca 147895 / 05 X5 / 99 M3 / 90 535i / 89 325is track project

My Cars
    2017 530i M-sport
    The benefits of a custom enclosure are:

1) Use of better materials to build the box (minimum 3/4" MDF). 2) Exact airspace for your woofers and their intended use (SPL or musicalness). 3) Woofers wired and loaded, using polyfil, to perform at their peak. 4) Best use of space available to minimize wasted trunk space. 5) Ability to do custom work like integrated amp racks, etc. and to use carpet that matches your trunk.

Our store charges $150-200 for a dual woofer custom enclosure. Certain applications, integrated amp racks, frenched amps and woofer covers, and show type boxes are more expensive.

I'd say $300 is too much unless he's doing some real custom work. Of course, if this includes the woofer(s) it may be a good deal.

Jay

From wannabe to has been in a few short years..... the older I get, the faster I was

Saint Peters, Missouri, United States of America
    My Cars
    993, XK8, RR, Merkur Scorpio
    Dude don't waste your time with that guy. Almost any stereo store can build you one for less and they know what their doing. If you need a custom box for the 325 I'd go with the professionals.

Later,
    Tom
    <font size="1"><center>
    ChongusM3: Tom is the original smooth operator.

"The reward of suffering is experience" - Aeschylus (Killed by a falling tortoise.)
    BMW Cigar and Gun Club Member # 1
    325is Dude: I tend to attract retards. </center></font>

My Cars
    '11 M3 Coupe
    thanks for the info...it's just the box...and custom I guess is for those speakers...but I'll prob go and find a premade box...like the JL stealth boxes...those any good?

My Cars
    miss my rieger 3, but love my new S2000!
    Originally posted by toofast4U
    thanks for the info...it's just the box...and custom I guess is for those speakers...but I'll prob go and find a premade box...like the JL stealth boxes...those any good?
    stealthboxes are a great audio upgrade...you will like those more than you would like a box setup in the trunk methinks
    ...'Cause every hand's a winner and every hand's a loser.
    And the best that you can hope for, is to die in your sleep'