Thread: Swapped "HID" H1's in to my fogs, now 15/20a fuses blow but 25a works, this safe?

My Cars
    99 Z3M Coupe

Swapped "HID" H1's in to my fogs, now 15/20a fuses blow but 25a works, this safe?

Has anyone had this problem before? I put in my 9005/9006 "HID" bulbs along with my H1. Day later I took out the 9005/9006's (Both at stock wattage, 55/65w) and had to fix them because of the focal point (I fitted 9006/9005's in to a set of Depo Ellipsoids). Anyways, after fixing and putting them back in, my fuse for the H1 fogs were blown. I checked all my wires and couldn't find a pinched wire or short anywhere, so I put a 15a back in and it blew it out immediately. I swapped in a 20a and turned them on and they shorted immediately. I went back again and looked for a pinched wire or something and couldn't find anything.

Then I put a 25a fuse in the spot and turned on the fogs and it works fine. Is this normal when installing the "HID" style bulbs, even though they're the same wattage as the stock H1's, or do I have a short somewhere and the 25a hasn't blown yet but might cause a fire? I went back out after putting in the 25a w/ the fogs on and wiggled all the wires around everything and nothing shorted.

Cliffs: Put in 9006/9005/H1 "HID" style bulbs. Worked for a day then after taking headlights back out/in, the fogs started blowing fuses. Checked for short but couldn't find one. Put in 25a fuse in and lights work, but do I risk starting a fire now?

-Jonathan
    Last edited by pelotudo; 02-18-2006 at 01:01 PM.

My Cars
    Hellrot
    probably might start a fire or melt wiring/housing

the bulb you have is actually an overrated bulb. From 55/65 you went to a 110 or above bulb and the wire is not meant to handle that load or the fuse for that matter (althought the wire may you need to check on that).

Id just splice in a new fog wiring harnes with a relay from the + terminal in the engine bay and use the existing fog switches as a on/off switch.

My Cars
    99 Z3M Coupe
    I bought 65w fogs though, which should be the same as the stock ones. Is it because they're the 5000k lighting and the stock ones are only like 2500k or something?

These are the ones I bought: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=8000342570

My Cars
    Boosted 96' 328is
    5000K has nothing to do with it, thats just the color. Its the wattage that blows the fuses.

DIY: $5 o2 simulator VORTECH 13PSI + AFTERCOOLER + METH

My Cars
    99 Z3M Coupe
    So if they're the same 65w as the stock ones, they're blowing the fuses. So there really is a short somewhere?

My Cars
    Hellrot
    you should using the term hid, because those are not hid.

Hid would include ballast and an ignitor not a bubl alone. So that is basically a regualr bulb coated blue and supposedly with xenon gas (although xenon only acts as a igniting gas for true HId bulbs)....

Just swap them with regular h1 bubls off the rack at pepboys and see if it still blows the fuse if so you need to check the wiring if not toss them in the garbage or keep them change to a higher fuse and return the oems to pepboys. I would still suggest that you upgrade the wiring if the fuse is blowing everytime, but only a suggestion.

My Cars
    1998 328i
    i believe I am using a 15 a fuse with my hid fog set up and it's fine. It even worked with the stock fuse (8 A?)