Thread: Need help removing front bumper cover e39

My Cars
    2000 E39 528

Need help removing front bumper cover e39

Does anyone know how to uninstall the front bumper of a e39 or can anyone post or send me the uninstall steps?

Thanks!

My Cars
    2000 E39 528
    C'mon guys. anyone have a bentley they can scan

Dan is offline My real name is Charles
    My Cars
    E39 540i/6, Galant VR4
    1. REMOVAL

Using a flathead screwdriver or equivalent, remove center portion of pop rivets (2 per side) attaching left and right bumper grille inserts (adjacent to the fog lamps), pull/pry downward to remove rivets, and carefully remove plastic inserts.

Remove hex head screws in right and left fender wells - 3 per side along the middle, roughly at the same height as the center of the wheel. There should be 2 more screws in each fenderwell along the bottom, but my fender skins were broken in this area (courtesy of bumper damage caused by a parking block).

Using T50 socket and ratchet handle, remove long screws holding bumper. These screws are located in/above the (removed) bumper insert area.

Pull bumper straight forward and unplug fog lamps.
    more literature here

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 98 528i, E30
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    That's pretty much it. I've had to remove my front bumper more times than i can recall for various reasons and here is what i would add to the above instructions. Take the extra 5 minutes and remove the headlights, your life will be much easier. Also, as you probably know, make sure you use a 1/2" drive ratchet and a torx SOCKET to remove the 2 torx bolts securing the bumper to the supports. Do not cheese out and try to use some torx drives or some multi-use tool, because those 2 bolts are going to be tight and they need to go back in tight also. BTW, this is one of those times when you'll need an extra set of hands around before you attempt to remove and especially when you reinstall the bumper.

Hope this helps, fabby.

My Cars
    2000 E39 528
    Quote Originally Posted by fabby318
    That's pretty much it. I've had to remove my front bumper more times than i can recall for various reasons and here is what i would add to the above instructions. Take the extra 5 minutes and remove the headlights, your life will be much easier. Also, as you probably know, make sure you use a 1/2" drive ratchet and a torx SOCKET to remove the 2 torx bolts securing the bumper to the supports. Do not cheese out and try to use some torx drives or some multi-use tool, because those 2 bolts are going to be tight and they need to go back in tight also. BTW, this is one of those times when you'll need an extra set of hands around before you attempt to remove and especially when you reinstall the bumper.

Hope this helps, fabby.
    Thanks fabby!, I appreciate it. my wife rear ended someone, and according to her the bumper looks OK. it's a little off, I was going to try try to re-align it.

My Cars
    2000 E39 528
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    Thanks Dan! much appreciated.

My Cars
    E28, E32, E39, E53, E90
    For those searching and arriving here, I made a DIY front bumper removal video guide in 4K resolution here:

link: https://youtu.be/DBJrYMj5gi8

My Cars
    various
    This is great. Now if it was in the E39 sub forum.....

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    moved from E34 to E39 forum
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!