Avus Autosport
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIYers - stay away from calabasas bob smith BMW

My Cars
    see sig

DIYers - stay away from calabasas bob smith BMW

I don't know how their service dept is so if you are under warranty or have lots of money for service then you many not care.

bob smith used to be a tiny dealer in the low rent area of canoga park. now they are in calabasas where the money is. they don't even have a parts counter. just counter space next to the receptionist.

I call tues to order a few parts. guy (name withheld) told me they have to order it but it'll arrive today. I repeatly ask him if I need to come down to start the order and he told me no. I went to pick up today and they didn't even place the order. did I mention they charge FULL retail for parts? we have 3 bmws and I work on cars all the time.

where's my middle finger?
    Alan

2006 325i
    2015 M3

My Cars
    E36 M3
    mthreesome worked there

My Cars
    E46 M3; Triumph TT600
    I've never had a problem with Bob Smith BMW, we take the 540 there all the time for warranty work.

My Cars
    98 M3 Coupe
    I haven't had any problems with Bob Smith since they've moved.

My Cars
    M3
    f*ck bob smith bmw, those were my parts that should of been in

on a brighter note i saved 50 bucks thru a friend who has a discount on parts

My Cars
    06 M3 ZCP, 08 335i
    Service is fine. The counter you describe is the parts counter. However, their prices are crazy. Parts are 30-40% higher than Pacific or Steve Thomas, Rusnak parts are high too. Another example, alignment on my E36 -BS wanted $225 and Rusnak charged $125.

When it comes to dealers you must call around for parts or non-warranty work.

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by Hit_Apex
    Service is fine. The counter you describe is the parts counter. However, their prices are crazy. Parts are 30-40% higher than Pacific or Steve Thomas, Rusnak parts are high too. Another example, alignment on my E36 -BS wanted $225 and Rusnak charged $125.

When it comes to dealers you must call around for parts or non-warranty work.
    everything is more expensive in calabasas.

My Cars
    '05 Ram 1500
    Who the hell goes to the dealer to buy parts?

My Cars
    whatever is there
    u drive a bmw and u are worried about the price. german cars arne't for poeple who don't have chips
    This shop ripped me off and they'll rip you off too!
    ~~~> Autobahn EBAY ID: 1autobahn1
    444 Vernon Way, El Cajon, CA 92020
    619-444-2290

My Cars
    '05 Ram 1500
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbonBlkE36
    u drive a bmw and u are worried about the price. german cars arne't for poeple who don't have chips
    Yea right, I'm poor as dirt and I get by just fine.

My Cars
    I think most of us fail to still notice that not everywhere will be a internet checkout. dealers and a lot of german retailers will still charge the bmw price. shops of a higher grade and location will charge more. shops like this just don't have time to deal with small purchases.
    Last edited by auto3251; 02-17-2006 at 12:22 AM.

My Cars
    2004 M3
    I got charged full price on a couple of things and there parts dept. is weak. Rusnak is cool, most know me there and hook up list price.

Some parts you have to get from the dealer, but I try to get most from online.

SQ Bimmer, are you running 255 all around? What are your profiles front and rear and they are 18" right? thanks
    2004 SilberGrau M3 Coupe 6MT No roof No Power or Heated Seats No Nav

My Cars
    '05 Ram 1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbone325
    I got charged full price on a couple of things and there parts dept. is weak. Rusnak is cool, most know me there and hook up list price.

Some parts you have to get from the dealer, but I try to get most from online.

SQ Bimmer, are you running 255 all around? What are your profiles front and rear and they are 18" right? thanks
    255/40/17, 43 offset wheels, no rubbing except when going over bumps at weird angles.

My Cars
    2004 M3
    Cool thank you, is this on a 8.5" wide rim? If so, does the 40 profile feel a bit thin, is the ride too bumpy?
    2004 SilberGrau M3 Coupe 6MT No roof No Power or Heated Seats No Nav

My Cars
    '05 Ram 1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbone325
    Cool thank you, is this on a 8.5" wide rim? If so, does the 40 profile feel a bit thin, is the ride too bumpy?
    Oh yea I forgot to toss in the wheel width - it is 8.5". Ride is not bad at all on stock 95 m3 suspension.

My Cars
    E46, S2000
    I can't understand your complaints for being charged retail. get a cca membership if you want to save money.

Forum Rules___Info for New Members___Teen Driving School in So Cal
    "It's the internet by my rules."--Kevlar

My Cars
    BRG M3
    The only thing I ever payed full price for was some Molding Clips at the Stealer, I was pissed and the lady at the counter was like "This is BMW" (with sass mind you) I replied with an O RLY and handed her my food stamps.

CCA discount and friends at Sterling FTW! Also Online sources tend to be a bit more fair if they provide decent shipping.
    3.2 obd1 kenobi | built head | tubi exhaust | koni race coil-overs | gc race plates | ma shaw ltw wing | rieger ltw splitter | oem bmw roof rack | oem recaro gt3's | BBS RS...

My Cars
    06 M3 ZCP, 08 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by SQ Bimmer
    Who the hell goes to the dealer to buy parts?
    WTF would you go for a Vader seat motor?

My Cars
    2008 E92 M3 6spd
    I am a parts manager at a Volvo dealership and retail parts is where we make our money. It is all supply and demand, simple economics. You need a part, we have the part, you must pay. I know is sucks but, welcome to America

Dinan Supercharger, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan full cat-back exhaust, Dinan Big Bore Throttle Body, 18x8.5 ACS Type III rims, Custom Aftercooler, 6" crank pulley, 996TT HFM, 42 lbs injectors, Custom AA Performance software, should be putting down ~370rwhp...SOLD
    2008 M3, Interlagos Blue, Carbon Fiber Roof, 6 Speed...Upgrades to follow

My Cars
    98M3/4/5 90535im 69built Bristol 02
    sup Alan?

Yeah I delt with BS (pun intended) when they were in Canoga and their parts counter sucked I never went there anymore. And yeah I am a CCA Member.

yeah man you're a low baller . How is the brand new house you just bought? We gotta do that mountain drive someday!

Hamada

Italian Twin Webers 40DCOE||Ireland Engineering 292 Cam||MSD 6A Ignition||Euro tii Raised Bathtub High Compression Pistons 9.8:1||IE SS Headers and Exhaust Modified to Twin Tip Center exit||Custom Recurved Dist||Curt Ingraham 3 Core Rad||Bilsteins||ST Springs and Sways||IE tii Strut Bar||Parker Performance VDO setup||Italian Blinkers||Original Old School Hella 160 Fogs|| Trap Mirrors|| 14x6 Superlites || Aardvark Racing Recaros

My Cars
    E46, S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Hit_Apex
    WTF would you go for a Vader seat motor?
    www.bmaparts.com

Forum Rules___Info for New Members___Teen Driving School in So Cal
    "It's the internet by my rules."--Kevlar

My Cars
    E34 M60
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic69
    I am a parts manager at a Volvo dealership and retail parts is where we make our money. It is all supply and demand, simple economics. You need a part, we have the part, you must pay. I know is sucks but, welcome to America
    fortunatley we can order parts if we have a) internet access b) a mailbox or c) a telephone and not go to a dealer. Only if its something crippling you can just go to an indy shop and still get a better deal.

My Cars
    97 7.3

Uhm... all of the wealthy people I know would rather pay the lower of two prices on an identical item. Paying a higher price = throwing money away... which is exactly what poor people with no financial responsibility would probably do.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but BMW's aren't expensive, nor are they expensive to maintain. Italian Exoctics are where you go when you REALLY "have chips"... not BMW's

My Cars
    2002 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by S54MCoupe

Uhm... all of the wealthy people I know would rather pay the lower of two prices on an identical item. Paying a higher price = throwing money away... which is exactly what poor people with no financial responsibility would probably do.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but BMW's aren't expensive, nor are they expensive to maintain. Italian Exoctics are where you go when you REALLY "have chips"... not BMW's
    Lets be realistic though. Maintaining my Honda is a lot cheaper than maintaining my BMW. Its expensive compared to most of the consumer market. Parts, service are more expensive etc. especially if you are a little tight on the cash.

BUT, I have only good things to say about Bob Smith's service dept after yesterday when they took my car in on an understaffed crew and one of the techs helped me even though he was supposed to be gone for the day anyway. Saved me about 2 days of traveling back and forth.

Cardomain.com
    Dinan CAI, High Flow Throttle Body, Stage 3 Software, Front Strut Bar, Bilstien HD, K&N Air Filter, SuperSprint replica headers, Magnafow 400-cell CA-legal Race Cats with mid-pipe delete, Euro Plate, Umnitza Predator Chromiums
    Romanian Pride (small Eastern European country by the Black Sea, no relation to Rome or Armenia)

My Cars
    1999 BMW 540i 6-speed
    I've never had any issues with Bob Smith, though we just bought our X5 there recently so we haven't had to deal with them that much. Rusnak in Westlake on the other hand, their service department is actually pretty good...Their sales department is horrible though...We've/I've had some bad experiences. Who I really like is Steve Thomas BMW in Camarillo. They are great guys. We bought one of our bimmers from there. Very nice people, great customer service. I love going down there just for the hell of it sometimes. It's a nice dealership and they usually have a good amount of vehicles in stock and they are pretty cool guys. My dad and I went down there once. We were loking around for a 7er, but ended up test driving a few cars, an M5, a Z8 and a M3. Pretty fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast