Thread: Bmw 2002

My Cars
    E46 325i, E60 545i 6sp

Bmw 2002

i saw this on another forum, i feel like posting it

Almost. BMW was at risk of being bought out by Mercedes, in the old days. And Datsun reportedly bought the 1600 (precursor to the 2002, with 1600cc engine but otherwise identical to the 2002), flew it back to Japan, and dissected it. They did a pretty decent job of copying this car, I must admit.

For anyone else who thinks this car is shabby, C&D wrote in its '68 road test:
    "If the 1600 was the best $2500 sedan C/D ever tested, the 2002 is most certainly the best $2850 sedan in the whole cotton-picking world." (They don't often praise modern cars like this.)
    "To my way of thinking, the 2002 is one of modern civilization's all-time best ways to get somewhere sitting down...The minute it starts moving, you know that Fangio and Moss and Tony Brooks and all those other big racing studs retired only because they feared that someday you'd have one of these, and when that day came, you'd be indomitable. They were right. You are indomitable.
    First stoplight. I blow off aging Plymouth sedan and 6-cylinder Mustang. Not worthy of my steel. Too easy. Next time. Big old 6-banger Healey and '65 GTO. GTO can't believe I'm serious, lets me get away before he opens all the holes and comes smoking past with paint and outrage all over his stricken countenance. Austin-Healey a different matter. Tries for all he's worth, but British engineering know-how and quality craftsmanship not up to the job. I don't even shift fast from third to fourth, just to let him fell my utter contempt.
    Nobody believes it, until I suck their headlights out. But nobody doubts it, once that nearly-silent, unobtrusive little car has disappeared down the road and around the next bend, still accelerating without a sign of the brake lights...
    What you like to look for are Triumphs and Porsches and such. Them you can slaughter, no matter how hard they try. And they always try. They really believe all that jazz about their highly-tuned, super-sophisticated sports machines, and the first couple of drubbings at the hands of the 2002 make them think they're off on a bad trip or something. But then, they learn the awful truth, and they begin to hang back at traffic signals, pretending that they weren't really racing and all. Ha! Grovel, Morgan. Slink home with your tail between your legs, MG-B. Hide in the garage when you see a BMW coming. If you have to race with something, pick a sick kid on an old bicycle.
    But I don't want you to get the notion that this is nothing more than a pocket street racer. The BMW 2002 may be the first car in history to successfully bridge the gap between the diametrically-opposed automotive requirements of the wildly romantic car nut, on one hand, and the hyperpragmatic people at Consumer Reports, on the other."
    ---David E. Davis, Car & Driver, April 1968

My Cars
    '03 RSX type-S
    yea, the are awsome cars. i found one in Grayslake (about 15 minutes from my house) a couple months ago. the guy was selling it with an extra engine, drivetrain, interior peices, and a bunch of other stuff, it was bright orange and had recaros, the guy was asking 700. i really wanted to buy it but my mom said she didnt want that eyesore anywhere near our property.

she just didnt understand.
    -Mike

My Cars
    E46 325i, E60 545i 6sp
    700????????
    thats a steal

My Cars
    2003 WRX Wagon
    Originally posted by coolcar-LESS
    i really wanted to buy it but my mom said she didnt want that eyesore anywhere near our property.
    Eyesore???? You could have kept it at my place!!!
    Conrad

My Cars
    '03 RSX type-S
    yea, woulda shoulda coulda. oh well, id still like to get one, but the only 2002's i ever see are running like $3000-$6000. around here.
    -Mike