Thread: Will a 3.2 with an OBDI swap fit a stage 2 AA turbo kit?

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3

Will a 3.2 with an OBDI swap fit a stage 2 AA turbo kit?

My quest for power continues.......

Have fun getting there yourself,
    Josh

My Cars
    1970 Cadillac DeVille
    Yes.

I've talked to Karl on this subject quite a bit. The bottom line is this:

If you want for all intents and purposes unlimited power (meaning ability to upgrade to stage 2 and beyond), the obdII system must be dumped, in favor of OBD I or something more drastic like an outboard, aftermarket engine management system like the Electromotive Tek II. The OBD II system is quite limited in its ability to be tuned.

Accordingly, I was toying around with getting the OBD swap first (with used parts), then moving on to a turbo kit.
    In the slow lane

My Cars
    04 E55, 04 Touareg, 97 M3, 00 996 cab, 86 944T
    Prior to the new AA OBD II kit, that is how they used to set up the OBD II cars, and it is also why the AA OBD II turbos used to be $15k.

Eugene Lou

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Originally posted by eclou
    Prior to the new AA OBD II kit, that is how they used to set up the OBD II cars, and it is also why the AA OBD II turbos used to be $15k.

Eugene Lou
    Yup... totally possible.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    So do i run an Electromotive TEC-II or III with the new software (yeah it did come out Kevlar), or OBDI swap? I need opinions on this.

Thanks very much,
    Josh

My Cars
    1970 Cadillac DeVille
    Originally posted by Josh///M3
    So do i run an Electromotive TEC-II or III with the new software (yeah it did come out Kevlar), or OBDI swap? I need opinions on this.

Thanks very much,
    Josh
    Josh, if I recall, you want to design the turbo yourself. That being the case, I would think the the Motec or Electromotive system would be the way to go, since you can do endless quarter mile runs on your own, download the data, and reprogram the system real time.

The problem with any outboard engine control system is that you have to get into the wiring to route non-engine management functions back to the siemens dme and you'll have to figure out how to get proper 'dummy' signals to the dme for all the O2, crank, coolant, knock sensors, etc. so the siemens unit doesn't spit out endless error codes.

I'm not sure if anyone has gotten this deep into the electronics of the M3. You may want to give AA a call, as I think they may have gotten into this.
    In the slow lane

My Cars
    None

I'd rather...

Keep it simple and just buy the kit as it is!

I already plan on buying an ActiveAutowerke's OBD2 turbo kit by late this year or early next year with an upgraded clutch disc and pressure plate. No and's if's or but's. I'm totally serious about it and there is no turning back (I have to buy my dad a turbo upgrade for his pickup truck first to bring it up to 300hp and 700ft.lbs. of torque - father and son deal thingie)

Hopefully I'll be the first TechnoViolet M3/2 with an ActiveAutowerke's OBD2 turbo kit in SoCA.

My Cars
    03 Evo
    Jon,

I thought the AA kit's were not CARB legal in CA?
    Vishal

'03 Track Evo
    '97 Eurosport TS M3 - Sold
    [Track Videos]

What would be less expensive (I have OBDII):

Switch to OBDI and AA turbo

or

AA's OBDII turbo (which is what 12K?)
    ---->S--K

My Cars
    None
    DOH,

A question I wanted to avoid. Yes they are not CARB legal. It might pass the sniff test on the dyno IM240 but most likely not the underhood inspection (depending on area)

Looks like I need to get my smog license and work at a dealer that does Emission testing.

My Cars
    None
    S--K,

Its less expensive if you got the OBD2 turbo kit which retails $10,400. I'm not sure about labor but I've seen $1000 for it.
    Unless you want a more power then converting to OBD1 is an option.

Another path to take is Mechtech's turbo kit.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    I'm a speed freak.... I want something very fast, and the OBDII turbo is a little too smooth/not quick enough feeling. I want the biggest bang for my buck. So the OBDII turbo kit doesn't have the gasket and things like that so i'd rather go for OBDI or standalone engine management and make a LOT of hp.

Thats all,
    Josh

I have this set up .. CHeck the other post on what makes the fastest M3 down below

My Cars
    10 second go-ped.
    Anyone know of a company that sells a complete obd2-obd1 kit? I know the legal ramifications of doing it.. But im wondering if anyone has put together a kit with all the parts (fuel rail etc)

My Cars
    1970 Cadillac DeVille
    Originally posted by GMat
    Anyone know of a company that sells a complete obd2-obd1 kit? I know the legal ramifications of doing it.. But im wondering if anyone has put together a kit with all the parts (fuel rail etc)
    Yes. Zionsville Autosport sells a complete kit for $2300 large. My best guess is that you could source all the parts used for about a grand or less if you knew what to get. I have a partial list; zionsville won't tell you what their kit includes.
    In the slow lane

My Cars
    2006 E55 AMG
    Originally posted by Jon Caldito
    DOH,

Looks like I need to get my smog license and work at a dealer that does Emission testing.
    Or you can take it to somewhere deep inside Santa Ana!!! They'll pass anything!!

RENNtech 168mm Pulley and Tune | VRP Carbon Fiber Airbox | JP Shorty Headers | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | RENNtech Digital Lowering Module | 19" HRE 547R
    459 RWHP, 522 RWT

My Cars
    03 Evo
    Originally posted by psk145

Or you can take it to somewhere deep inside Santa Ana!!! They'll pass anything!!
    LOL!
    Vishal

'03 Track Evo
    '97 Eurosport TS M3 - Sold
    [Track Videos]

My Cars
    10 second go-ped.
    Dang thats not too bad... Any idea how much labor would be involved? Im at 49,900 miles on my car..lol maybe i should do it. Warranty? Blah! Who needs it.

"Or you can take it to somewhere deep inside Santa Ana!!! They'll pass anything!! "

Or you could live in arizona where they dont even emissions test. =P
    Last edited by GMat; 05-30-2001 at 03:10 PM.

Jon Caldito,

Let me know how your turbo install goes. Are you in the FL area?
    Are you planning on shipping your car to FL?

I looked at the MechTech kit and it seems that I will have to drive my car to S.Diego to install and tune that kit (I'm in Seattle, WA).
    ---->S--K

My Cars
    None
    S--K and psk145,

I currently live in Atlanta, GA but moving back to Los Angeles, CA late July. Going down to Santa Ana for emission testing does sound like a good option.

I want to talk to the guys at Active Autowerke and get more into depth about the OBD2 kit. I read the stuff on European Car but I'm a tech guy so I kinda need more detailed info. of what is done to the system.

This is tough, I'm already losing sleep just thinking about this and I already had one dream that I did got the kit installed. Dont want tell anyone since its kinda embaressing and no I didnt take a shit or piss in my pants.

My Cars
    '97 328i
    I was checking out the AA website

I noticed they list the OBDII kit as for the M3 only. Does anyone know if they do installs for 328's?
    '97 328i, Montreal blue
    '86 535i Champagne (sold!)
    Sandbox IT

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition

Talking

This is tough, I'm already losing sleep just thinking about this and I already had one dream that I did got the kit installed.
    I do this all the time... I did not think it was a bad thing.

Of course after I wake up and get into my car, it just seems so slow afterwards. Anybody have $10k I can borrow?
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    just an old 328
    Sure Kevlar, I'll just hit up the imaginary Turbo fund thats under my couch.
    06' BMW 530xi
    02' Porsche 911 Carrera
    11' BMW X3

My Cars
    '97 328i
    you have imaginary turbo funds under your couch?!?!

HOW DO I GET THIS!!!????
    '97 328i, Montreal blue
    '86 535i Champagne (sold!)
    Sandbox IT

My Cars
    2006 E55 AMG
    S--K and psk145,

I currently live in Atlanta, GA but moving back to Los Angeles, CA late July. Going down to Santa Ana for emission testing does sound like a good option.

I want to talk to the guys at Active Autowerke and get more into depth about the OBD2 kit. I read the stuff on European Car but I'm a tech guy so I kinda need more detailed info. of what is done to the system.

This is tough, I'm already losing sleep just thinking about this and I already had one dream that I did got the kit installed. Dont want tell anyone since its kinda embaressing and no I didnt take a shit or piss in my pants.
    I'm having dreams about the RMS supercharger for my 325. The only thing holding me back right now is a guilty conscience cause Im getting married in August. I got the money, and the fiance is OK with it, I would just feel bad about spending that much money before the wedding. I know something's gonna come up!!!

Jon, I've had no problems passing the visual smpg check with headers on my 325. The mechanic I got to knows a smog check place where the owner is an avid BMW fan, so he "looks the other way" when smogging. As long as it passes the sniff test. Im not sure how your turbo will do with the new smog test they started.

RENNtech 168mm Pulley and Tune | VRP Carbon Fiber Airbox | JP Shorty Headers | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | RENNtech Digital Lowering Module | 19" HRE 547R
    459 RWHP, 522 RWT