Thread: Hypothetically speaking...What would make for the fastest AA turbo M3?

Hypothetically speaking...What would make for the fastest AA turbo M3?

Just curious....

If money were no object what kind of performance #'s could a turbo kit from AA land you?

Tampaturbom3- have you done everything possible to make your ///M the fastest street legal M3? If not what more could you possibly do?

Also is it possible to convert an OB-II (3.2 liter M3) to OB-I and then get the AA OB-I stage II turbo kit? If so how would that compare # wise to the regular OB-I 3.0 liter stage II turbo? (did anyone get that???)

Thanks!

My Cars
    1970 Cadillac DeVille
    I don' t think there are any hard and fast rules about exactly how much power you are going to get if I do this vs. that. . .

A review of AA's site will give you the jist.

You can get as much power as your wallet will allow. If you want max power, you've got to completely dump OBDII in favor of OBD I or an aftermarket engine management system. Then, you've got to rebuild the motor with new internals that can handle the upgrade. I know Karl has built 500hp motors. You could probably get more if you really needed it/wanted it. All it takes is more jack.
    Last edited by frayed; 05-28-2001 at 09:57 AM.
    In the slow lane

Before Gene Liu went to the E34 M5 twin turbo setup... he was running approx 700hp on a M50 3.0 liter motor with a custom AA turbo.

And run a TecII or an Motec system.
    Shingo

93 E36 325is
    2.8 liter w/ Active Autowerke Stg 2 turbo
    -12.86@109mph on the 1/4 w/ stg 1 turbo and 2.5 liter

2001 X5 3.0

http://www.turbobmw.com

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    What would make the fastest OBD-II turbo setup?

Money & Patience.

You'd be going into uncharted territory for a street machine. You'd have to do alot of internal engine modification to strengthen it up a bit. It would be possible tho, but as far as I understand, once you start passing the 400HP mark, things start getting expensive to bring the other parts of the car up to the ability of handling/stopping 400HP.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

Being able to stop is always a good idea!:p

My Cars
    M3

Re: Hypothetically speaking...What would make for the fastest AA turbo M3?

Originally posted by Disco Stu

Also is it possible to convert an OB-II (3.2 liter M3) to OB-I and then get the AA OB-I stage II turbo kit? If so how would that compare # wise to the regular OB-I 3.0 liter stage II turbo? (did anyone get that???)

Thanks!
    A good friend of mine in Miami has a black 96 M3 Luxury OBD-I with 6-speed tranny, believed to be the fastest street car AA has built yet (according to them), with a couple of others VERY close to it. Dynoed 357 HP on their Mustang Dyno, 55 more rwHP than when they tested a couple BMW M5s. This car is rediculous and very subtle looking (polished wheels are really the only thing noticeable and no wing) and has a VERY high top speed (180+mph). Engine was rebuilt with forged this and that, has an oil cooler, big brakes, full suspension, the works. Has outrun Porsche TTs, Viper GTSs, M5s (badly), some modified Supras. As far as I can remember he's only lost to a Twin Turbo 540i, Porsche RUF CTR2 and 650 HP Chevy SS Impala with roots blower blowing 19psi at idle (of course there are some crazy guys he knows in the area with highly modified Supras, RX7s, etc. he won't even bother with because of their power). CYA>PM3
    pm332@hotmail.com

My Cars
    10 second go-ped.
    357 at the wheels? Wouldnt that be about 430 at the crank or what they quote for a regualr stg2 car?

My Cars
    M3
    well, whatever the claims are I dunno. All I know is there are only a few cars over 350 at the wheels on their dyno. Most of their Stage2 stuff is dynoing at 310-330 on their Mustang. This is all according to Karl. 430bhp? I don't know. Everyone has their own little 'drivetrain' factor. CYA>PM3

Remember:

1) their Stage2 cars now are pretty much all Stage2/Generation III, with all the big piping, new software and stuff.

2) This car I am referring to has dynoed well over 400 at the wheels on a Dynojet 248C--I think 420-430, if I am not mistaken.

Go to their site and see. There are only two cars on their dyno charts that are over 350 unless I am missing a couple. This one is the 96 Turbo. Scary car, to say the least.
    Last edited by PM3; 05-28-2001 at 05:09 PM.
    pm332@hotmail.com

>>>>"Tampaturbom3- have you done everything possible to make your ///M the fastest street legal M3? If not what more could you possibly do? "<<<<<

i hope to send my baby on another miami trip pretty soon for the stage 3 turbo unit, IC and injectors. i have all other stage 3 stuff including the internals, so that is the part still left to do. i think it will add about 50 hp. i aslo could shoot some nitrous, "Blown" has a set up to shoot nitrous til the boost is on to bridge any power gaps. i'm sure there are a couple of other tricks i could do too. we'll see.
    and to answer about the HP on the dyno's. mine was only 337 on the mustang and right at 400 on the dynojet. so over 350 on the mustang was 13 more than me.

good luck,
    tommy
    Tommy aka TampaTurboM3
    95 AA turbo M3
    11.679 @ 118.79 1/4 mile 11/20/2004
    Daily Driven, Stock Looking

My Cars
    M3
    Tommy, it seems your driving skill at the drag strip is more of a showing on your quartermile time than your M3's power (because of the trap speed). Usually at 11.80 you would be looking at over 120mph trap speed. I've seen time slips for M3 stage2 turbos that are 10-30hp less than yours getting about 116-117mph or so (I know, that extra few mph takes a lot of power) but they were still 1/2 second off your time (ie probably about 50+feet behind you!) So it must be that you're pretty darn good off the line. What RPM do you launch at? CYA>PM3
    pm332@hotmail.com

My Cars
    Pimpmobile
    Tampaturbom3- have you done everything possible to make your ///M the fastest street legal M3? If not what more could you possibly do?
    any of these monsters are actually street legal??? hehe... i wonder~!
    Appleton
    95 Silver M3c
    250 rwhp, 230 tq
    GIAC custom ECU, 3.2L OBD-1 M3 engine, Dinan Intake, Dinan throttle body, Dinan HFM, Dinan fuel pressure regulator, UD Pulleys set, Supersprint Header, Supersprint Exhaust with straight pipe, DSR Cams, UUC short shifter, Xdrilled rotors, AA front and rear struct tower bar, X-brace, KW var2 coilover, RD swaybars

want list: 3.5L Stroker motor or, AA S2++ Turbo Kit, or Supercharger with aftercooler... any suggestions??

Angry

Hello everyone !!!!

I have a 3.2L OBD 1 AA stage 2 ++ kit with a 50hp shot of NOS . I also did turbo spec AA cams and a bunch of stage 3 parts . I might be back in MIA at the end of this year (After HIN in Florida) as AA is going to start building me (or started already) a Gene Liu motor with a rpm over 7800 and able to do 25 pounds and 150hp shot of NOS .. I am very happy with what I have now but to claim I have the worlds fastest 318ti I need a ace in the pocket bieng as there is always a bigger and badder dog out there . When AA was doing the dyno runs my best was a 365.9 and tq was at 366.4 on a mustang dyno you would need to multiply by 1.31 to get crank hp . PM3 i heard that ttm3 can shift gears like no other in a M3

>>>>"PM3 i heard that ttm3 can shift gears like no other in a M3"<<<

hmmm,,, i guess i'm a legend in my own mind....lol
    actually, my quickest ET's were from letting off the throttle between shifts due to excessive wheelspin if i didnt. wheelspin eats up ET. so this means that driving like i'm going to church or the grocery store is a quicker route to the end of the 1/4mile than keeping my foot on the floor.
    it wasn't the case when i made less power. when the wheels wouldn't spin so freely, i would get better times by keeping my foot on the floor through the run. much practice and an AA clutch is the key to getting the times down.
    Tommy aka TampaTurboM3
    95 AA turbo M3

My Cars
    M3
    Originally posted by tampaturbom3
    >>>>"PM3 i heard that ttm3 can shift gears like no other in a M3"<<<

hmmm,,, i guess i'm a legend in my own mind....lol
    actually, my quickest ET's were from letting off the throttle between shifts due to excessive wheelspin if i didnt. wheelspin eats up ET. so this means that driving like i'm going to church or the grocery store is a quicker route to the end of the 1/4mile than keeping my foot on the floor.

you mean shifting like a NORMAL person. You're telling me that you never left your foot off the gas during your 1/4 run? Like driving with sequential shifter? Aye Carumba! Yuz' nuts, CYA>PM3
    pm332@hotmail.com

Power Shifting~!! The only way to drag race... big strain on the tranny... but its affective.

TampaTurboM3 knows wassup.
    Shingo

93 E36 325is
    2.8 liter w/ Active Autowerke Stg 2 turbo
    -12.86@109mph on the 1/4 w/ stg 1 turbo and 2.5 liter

2001 X5 3.0

http://www.turbobmw.com

yes PM3, before my last HP upgrade, i would (after the launch) keep my right foot planted the whole 1/4 mile. i could shift so quickly that the rpms didn't even have a chance to go up between shifts (keeping in mind that i shift at 7,000 rpms with the limiter at 7200 or 7400 and i never even hit the limiter)
    but now that my car makes more power, if i do that, i just smoke the tires which eats up precious time, so i have to let off the throttle between shifts. one day i will strengthen the rear undercarriage so that i can put some stickier tires and not be afraid of ripping/ breaking everything that's back there. i can't wait to see what those timeslips will look like.
    Tommy aka TampaTurboM3
    95 AA turbo M3