Thread: Removing broken bolt in a bad location

My Cars
    87-635 '78-R80/7 '96-960

Removing broken bolt in a bad location

while replacing belts,hoses,thermostat,PS pump etc....,i noticed one of the water pump bolts snapped off,i hoped for the best that the bolt was simply missing.NO DICE,that sucker is snapped off flush with the block,not on the sides where the bolts go thru the casting,but smack in the block.
    it's not leaking and the pump has some age.no way i was going to attempt replacement(she'd probably still be down),even though i had the perfect opportunity while doing the hoses and thermo..it's in a difficult location due to space,it appears that at the least i'll need a drill attachment(which i don't have)that can drill at a 90 deg angle,due to the condensor being in the way.the AC doesn't cool,but there's enough freon in the system to kick on the cpompressor,so i'm leaving it in place.
    i'm seriously wanting to attend SESF,but i don't want risk that sucker blowing out on a road trip.my luck and the fact that i'm aware of the issue,racing south to the FEST and thru the mountains is when she's most likely to blow.
    any tips/ideas?dave

My Cars
    e30
    Quote Originally Posted by dm635
    while replacing belts,hoses,thermostat,PS pump etc....,i noticed one of the water pump bolts snapped off,i hoped for the best that the bolt was simply missing.NO DICE,that sucker is snapped off flush with the block,not on the sides where the bolts go thru the casting,but smack in the block.
    it's not leaking and the pump has some age.no way i was going to attempt replacement(she'd probably still be down),even though i had the perfect opportunity while doing the hoses and thermo..it's in a difficult location due to space,it appears that at the least i'll need a drill attachment(which i don't have)that can drill at a 90 deg angle,due to the condensor being in the way.the AC doesn't cool,but there's enough freon in the system to kick on the cpompressor,so i'm leaving it in place.
    i'm seriously wanting to attend SESF,but i don't want risk that sucker blowing out on a road trip.my luck and the fact that i'm aware of the issue,racing south to the FEST and thru the mountains is when she's most likely to blow.
    any tips/ideas?dave
    centerpunch it, use a 90degree drill and reverse drill bit, sometimes the bit will bind and spin it out for you.

My Cars
    635CS '87 525 '76 Mustang Cobra99, Navigator 2006
    before you start anything sparay the rust remover on it for at least one day several times ,it does do wonder and you need deffenetlly the 90dgr angle ( i have a Jacobs brand and belive me its worth the money) and a bolt extractor kit be carefull how you punch the guide hole before drilling
    .....Bums' Mal Wieder

Makr is offline Snark engineer PHD Moderator
    My Cars
    '85 635
    Leave it alone.
    Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.
    Henry David Thoreau

Ride fast, safety last.

My Cars
    87-635 '78-R80/7 '96-960
    Quote Originally Posted by Makr
    Leave it alone.
    that's exactly what i did.what should have been a simple belt,hose,thermostat replacement,turned into a nightmare.every bolt i touched seemed to be seized and i even broke the mounting bracket for the ps pump and alternator.the adjustment bolt was so seized that i snapped the ear off of it.had to replace the alternator and bracket because the bolt is still stuck in the alt and the snapped off ear from the bracket.
    according to carfax,this 6 started life in St Louis and i guess the salt took it's toll.we have salt here also,but i drive the other car when weathers bad.
    the day will come that it needs to be addressed and taking long out of state trips may have to wait.thanks for all tips.

My Cars
    635CS '87 525 '76 Mustang Cobra99, Navigator 2006
    Bring it to the fest on a platform,hehehe.....just kidding Anyway I know how fustrating it can get... had a couple of those experiences but one thing is sure ...never give up
    .....Bums' Mal Wieder

My Cars
    87-635 '78-R80/7 '96-960
    oh,i never give up.that's why it's bothering me,knowing somethings wrong.i don't even have a replacement pump yet.just seeking ideas on that bolt that by now is probably practically welded into place.