Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How to fix your broken seat belt guides.

My Cars
    2K Z3, 997 911S
    mine snapped a few weeks ago, industrial strength glue and holding it down a little while did the trick....for me atleast, can't notice it at all, and this seems like a huge pain in teh ass.

My Cars
    00 Z3 2.3
    Nice write up Vinci. When mine go, I'm taking the lazy way out...

http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/z3/7787167-1.html

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day
    Nice write up Vinci. When mine go, I'm taking the lazy way out...

http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/z3/7787167-1.html
    Black duct tape?

My Cars
    00 M Roady, 96 318is
    I reather Crazy GLUE THEM together you wont even notice.... than go thew all of this...lol..
    M POWER

My Cars
    00 Z3 2.3
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinci
    Black duct tape?

Appears to be made out of seat belts?

My Cars
    2001 M5 2001 MZ3 2010 M5
    Awesome!!!
    2010 E60 M5
    2001 M Roadster
    2001 E39 M5

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day
    Appears to be made out of seat belts?
    Looks like a loop of fabric or some sort of fabric tape. I think I'd try gluing before I broke down to that sort of rigging.

My Cars
    S52 M Roadster, WRX,
    Quote Originally Posted by YoPaulyzSIck
    I reather Crazy GLUE THEM together you wont even notice.... than go thew all of this...lol..
    been therre, didn't work. I ordered new guides and will be doing this when i get a chance.
    -Jason

Weekend Car

'99 Boston Green M Roadster - intake, M50 manifold, schrick cams, magnaflow exhaust, TCK D/A Coilovers 500/600, RD front bar, ltw flywheel & clutch, harddog rollbar, schroth harnesses, zionsville radiator, S54 oil cooler, stewart pump, etc ..... ~245rwhp

My Cars
    00 M Roady, 96 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by JBgotM
    been therre, didn't work. I ordered new guides and will be doing this when i get a chance.

WORKED FOR ME =)
    M POWER

My Cars
    S52 M Roadster, WRX,
    Quote Originally Posted by YoPaulyzSIck
    WORKED FOR ME =)
    glad you had better luck than me, I just need to find a little time to do this. Maybe I can just take the passenger seat out and work on it as I have time and try to get it done.
    -Jason

Weekend Car

'99 Boston Green M Roadster - intake, M50 manifold, schrick cams, magnaflow exhaust, TCK D/A Coilovers 500/600, RD front bar, ltw flywheel & clutch, harddog rollbar, schroth harnesses, zionsville radiator, S54 oil cooler, stewart pump, etc ..... ~245rwhp

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Those things are just like seat bushings. If you don't do them all in one shot, they'll just sit in the closet forever.

My Cars
    M Roadster
    Sweet write up!
    Seat belt guide seatbelt retainer seat belt retainer seatbelt guide seatbelt clip seat belt clip <----for me to search when I get around to doing this. I've had the guide/clip/retainer for two years.

98 ///M Roadster - Sharked, FDK, twin Magnaflows, UUC Stage II Flywheel, OEM M5 Clutch, UUC TME Red & Enforcers, Zimmerman rotors, Cosmos CAI, ProjectorZs w DDE, 6K HIDs, fatter rubber on the corners, UUC Underdrive Pulleys, and Stewart High Performance water pump

My Cars
    1999 M Roadster

Not difficult - cut the hog rings to save time.

Thanks to Vinci for the outstanding post. I installed a new seat belt clip last night on my 1999 Roadster M and it really was not that difficult.
    - The “hog rings” are the biggest challenge. I cut mine to remove the strap (instead of threading the straps through each one). To re-install, I used zip ties to attach the straps to the seat frame (just threaded through the existing holes used by the “hog rings”). This saved a huge amount of time.
    - The “hog rings” behind the crossmember (Vinci’s serious problem) are not accessible. I just cut the straps as close to the seat frame as I could. To re-attach, I just made two new holes in the strap and then used zip ties as described above.
    - While I had the seat out, I also replaced the “rocking seat” bushings. I was amazed how deteriorated the old bushings had become. Clearly the cause of the “rocking” seat.
    Good luck!

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    well... Atleast no one can just come by and jack your seatbelt guides in the parking lot!
    SamCarney
    2001 M Roadster S54
    Imola Red/Black Imola Red

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT
    That does not look like something that i want to try. . .not because i cant do it. . .but because i now dont think it is worth it. . .lol, the one working one that i have i dont use because the seat belt will not retract all the way running through that loop.

outstanding write up tho.

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Flank Z View Post
    - The “hog rings” behind the crossmember (Vinci’s serious problem) are not accessible. I just cut the straps as close to the seat frame as I could. To re-attach, I just made two new holes in the strap and then used zip ties as described above.
    That's not a terrible idea. I kinda wish I had done the same with those two straps. It would have saved me a whole lot of trouble.

My Cars
    bmw m roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jshkrauss View Post
    holy crap. Impressive work. You have to be the most helpful member that has come around in a while. Although I think if my sb guides ever broke, I'd just get new seats
    Why spend $1200 or more on a new seat when you can get it repaired at the dealership for $435. I did.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3
    I'm about to tackle this project myself. Funny: I just popped open the Advanced Search page and this was the first thread I opened (probably thanks to M Roady's strange response).

I wouldn't have to do this if my cousin didn't break it while moving the seat forward while looking for her keys that she dropped under the seat (the seatbelt was locked). You'd think that after hearing one loud crack next to her ear that she would have stopped moving the seat. No, she just kept right on going until the second crack occurred, finally destroying the stupid retainer.

Oh well. It looks as if it will be a good time to clean the carpet and seats.

Thanks for the write-up!
    Tires are Evil. They MUST be destroyed.

My Cars
    2001 M5 2001 MZ3 2010 M5
    Holy crap what a pain in the butt. I ended up having to take the seat covers complete off to snap the push washers on. You couldn't pay me to do this job again... Great write up though, with out it I'd have probably would've ended up setting something on fire! THANX
    Last edited by Ferris; 05-10-2007 at 02:39 PM.
    2010 E60 M5
    2001 M Roadster
    2001 E39 M5

My Cars
    02s54couperoadie04m316t
    Excellent write-up. I superglued mine but should have been more carefull. When I took it in for final warranty work the guide was stuck to the seat leather. The dealer was in good cheer that day and replaced the seat back cover also.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3, 1979 Porsch
    That's great that M-Coupe and Z-Coupe owners don't have to worry about broken seat belt guides. When I am out on the twisties with the top down, the sun overhead, in the middle of the redwoods, as I listen the the sound of the engine as I take it to redline THE last thing on my mind is broken seat belt guides.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    2005 Deathride 5-Pass finisher (129 miles & 15,000 ft of climbing)
    2003 California Triple Crown Finisher (3 Double Centuries in 1 year)
    Merlin Titanium road bike, Giant carbon fiber road bike, Torelli steel road bike, Litespeed Titanium mountain bike (you can never have too many bikes)

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 2.8L Roa
    Thank You, Thank You, Thank You. I tried Epoxy glue and it held for about 2 days. I tried Super Glue and it worked great.....for about 2 months. I am getting ready to tackle this job myself and I REALLY appreciate this thread.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    Does anyone happen to have a set of broken guides that they'd part with? I have a few ideas for a different approach, but need to see what they look like "inside the seat".

Thanks!

seemlessstate is offline <==< Florida State bird 2008 Secret Santa Deadbeat
    My Cars
    80 turbo deisel MKI
    does this apply to non M cars beacuse mine seem to be a bit dissimilar mainly because the guides are completley gone and i am left with a little hole in my leather
    thanks alot. if it is the same i have a project ahead of me

Quote Originally Posted by dallasfan824 View Post
    You need to get behind the wheel of an e36 m3 with an odometer reading higher than that of the purchase price of the average american home to know what real speed is.

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by grgoyl86 View Post
    Does anyone happen to have a set of broken guides that they'd part with? I have a few ideas for a different approach, but need to see what they look like "inside the seat".

Thanks!
    Check out the photo I posted of the new guides. There are two round posts that go through the leather seat cover. Those two posts go though a thin, plastic backing plate (similar in shape to the guide), and a pair of metal rings dig into the posts to secure the whole thing together. Whatever you use to secure the guide to the seat, it must be thin, or it will push the leather cover out and look funny.

Quote Originally Posted by seemlessstate View Post
    does this apply to non M cars beacuse mine seem to be a bit dissimilar mainly because the guides are completley gone and i am left with a little hole in my leather
    thanks alot. if it is the same i have a project ahead of me
    All the guides are the same, M and non-M.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast