Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to restore black trim moldings?

My Cars
    97 M3, 96 328i

How to restore black trim moldings?

Whats the best way to restore the black trim moldings around the car? Mine is faded due to the FL sun. I just replaced the front bumper license piece and the it looks great. To bad all the other ones are old.
    thanks

My Cars
    '97 328is
    probably save money calling up a junkyard and getting the scrap pieces off a wrecked one..or paint them yourself.

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    I use meguire's back to black every few months... seems to do the trick.

-Al.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    2007 VW Rabbit
    I took all mine off, then spray painted them black. It looks just like I treated them all the time. It also saves time when cleaning the car. I used to wash the car then take 15 minutes to treat all the black plastic. Now after i dry the car, im done.

|H&R Sports|Bilstein Sports|3.15 LSD|URI Crank Pulley|M3 Exhaust|Slotted Front Rotors|Debaffled w/K&N|UUC Clutch Stop|CDV Delete|Depo Ellipsoids w/DDE|Crystal Clear Fogs|Clears all around|M3 Front Bumper|V2 Splitters|M3 Moldings|35% Tint|Stellar Keyless/Alarm|

My Cars
    97 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by Spahrman5
    I took all mine off, then spray painted them black. It looks just like I treated them all the time. It also saves time when cleaning the car. I used to wash the car then take 15 minutes to treat all the black plastic. Now after i dry the car, im done.
    Did you use any special paint? Has it chipped? How long you been running with it that way? What was your painting process (sand, primer, sand, paint)?

Sounds like a decent idea?

My Cars
    '94 325is/CBR 600rr "RIP"
    There is a special type of paint to use, I have only seen it here at Canadian tire and its called black velvet or something close to that. I used on several VWs and it works great, flexable, doesnt flake off and leaves a nice finish.

CIA, dinan chip, lowered on 18"s, red depo angel eyes, custom chrome grill (blingin'), vibrant exhaust...

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    krylon fusion matte black ftw.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by amancuso
    I use meguire's back to black every few months... seems to do the trick.

-Al.
    I do that too, but my moldings were never faded to start, so I don't know how much it has help.

My Cars
    1997 328i, 330ci comming soon
    forever black....... nuff said

WhatWouldKevDo :bigmegatronshifty

My Cars
    1995 M3 & 2000 540i
    i currently use forever black too.. there was a thread on this stuff and everyone agreed this was the best stuff to restore the molding other than painting it. I'm now considering painting my moldings since I hate applying it every month or so. Im just not sure which paint to use. I'm afraid of it chipping off.. for those that painted it themselves... did you sand the moldings first or what? Did you apply a clear coat as well? What about primer? Thanks

2011 328i X-Drive~Mercedes ML55 AMG~2000 E320~1998 Chevrolet Corvette~2001 BMW 740iL

My Cars
    2013 328i xDrive
    I had a similar experience with my shadowlining peeling off. I just stripped the trim and used flat black engine paint (because it's heat treated-direct exposure to sunlight) to repaint the trim. I'm sure the same will work for the moulding.

I also used some of the same paint to paint the front part of the engine that's not covered by the plastic valve cover. It was also chipping. It looks great matched to the black covers.
    -Chris
    My e30 build thread/color change here

My Cars
    '95 hellrot 325is
    I had the same issue, being that my car spent it's whole life in florida before being transplanted to PA... I had one of those Mr. Clean magic erasers lying around and decided to see what it would do for restoring the moldings. It worked beautifully!!!! It took a little bit of elbow grease, but my 11 year old moldings look fantastic now. I used a bit of water for lubrication, but might work just as well without water.
    Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. --Seneca the Younger

My Cars
    00 M5, 00 Viper RT10,
    Buy new ones at BMW they are like 33 dollars a peice.

My Cars
    1995 M3 & 2000 540i
    a lot more expensive at the dealer if you have m moldings.

2011 328i X-Drive~Mercedes ML55 AMG~2000 E320~1998 Chevrolet Corvette~2001 BMW 740iL

My Cars
    96 BMW 328i
    What im planning on doing...Is sanding the moldings down a little high grit sand paper. Spray one coat of black Auto trim paint, Let it dry. Spray another coat, and while its still sticky, add a coat of clear coat. let dry.

ive heard wonderful things.
    "When tolerance becomes a one way street, it leads to cultural suicide."

My Cars
    1997 328i, 330ci comming soon
    Quote Originally Posted by nepaE36
    I had the same issue, being that my car spent it's whole life in florida before being transplanted to PA... I had one of those Mr. Clean magic erasers lying around and decided to see what it would do for restoring the moldings. It worked beautifully!!!! It took a little bit of elbow grease, but my 11 year old moldings look fantastic now. I used a bit of water for lubrication, but might work just as well without water.

those work shit ill try that !

WhatWouldKevDo :bigmegatronshifty

My Cars
    325i Bmw
    Try this stuff. @automagic.biz/buy-automagic.htm#61A We u it in the detail Bay at the Bimmer Dealership I work at and it lasts pretty long.

My Cars
    97 M3, 96 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by mika328i
    Whats the best way to restore the black trim moldings around the car? Mine is faded due to the FL sun. I just replaced the front bumper license piece and the it looks great. To bad all the other ones are old.
    thanks
    Today my friend gave me some Mothers Back to Black and it worked great. I am verrrry happy with the results.
    How long it lasts???????......we will see.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    the best longest lasting one is black shoe polish that comes in a bottle with the sponge applicator .. i've applied it and 8 months later still looks new .. even worked on high heat near the motor... try it .. its cheap too

Check out the sig pics****

pic 1 has it applied .. pic 3 before
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2007 VW Rabbit
    Quote Originally Posted by bfewkwa
    Did you use any special paint? Has it chipped? How long you been running with it that way? What was your painting process (sand, primer, sand, paint)?

Sounds like a decent idea?
    I just lightly sanded them, cleaned them really well and used black automotive trim spray paint. I chose not to clear coat it because i didnt want the trim shiny. Ive been running like this for the past 6 months, so i cant tell you how it hold up long term. So far so good

|H&R Sports|Bilstein Sports|3.15 LSD|URI Crank Pulley|M3 Exhaust|Slotted Front Rotors|Debaffled w/K&N|UUC Clutch Stop|CDV Delete|Depo Ellipsoids w/DDE|Crystal Clear Fogs|Clears all around|M3 Front Bumper|V2 Splitters|M3 Moldings|35% Tint|Stellar Keyless/Alarm|

My Cars
    E36, F10, W205
    last month i pulled off all my moldings, slathered them in meguiar's trim detailer (its a clear goop, not a dye) and let them sit overnight. in the morning, i washed them with dish soap & water, dried them off well, and put them back on.

i wash my car once or twice a week and i havent done anything special to them since. they still look really good.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 325i
    Permant fix. Just did it and it looks brand new. No cover-up, no paint, no dressing every time you wash it to hide it.

Put this in your tips and tricks book.

Reviving, removing wax buffer burn and oxidization from your cars plastic textured trim.

1. Rub surface with pink pencil eraser (.99 cents for a 2 pack at target)
    2. Dust off eraser mess.
    3. Spray with a strong degreaser.
    4. Wipe/buff with a Magic Eraser and water.

The oxidization/wax is gone. Looks brand new and saved me well over 300 bucks.

My Cars
    86 528e
    All the "Restore" products do not work long term. Grease, magic erasers, blah blah. Temporary bullshit.

Do the thing right and purchase SEM Trim Black spray paint. This is OEM quality black trim used by body shops to restore plastic components.

I have used this product to response my Hummer h3 plastic a year ago and it looks brand new still. I have used it on my e28 to restore plastic twice (second time because i was in process of painting the car and didn't mask stuff off).

My Cars
    1996 E36 M3 Evo
    Did mine with Plasti-Dip 3 years ago now, still looking mint and zero maintenance.

DippedMouldings01.JPG

DippedMouldings05.JPG

Also did the metal strip that runs from the bottom of the A pillar across the top of the windows.

TopWindowmaskSM.jpg
    Last edited by M3AN; 06-20-2018 at 12:56 AM.
    '96 M3, S50B32, 6MT
    + good stuff

My Cars
    E36
    ^^I did plastidip just like above. About 4-5 years ago...it's starting to show some wear and will need to be done again soon. Just for reference. (I put 10k on a year)
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast