Thread: cleaning spilled coolant from the engine bay

My Cars
    1997 540i, Honda 400ex, Suzuki DRZ 450

cleaning spilled coolant from the engine bay

in the last few months i've had quite a few problems with the cooling system. everything from a cracked neck on the radiator to clamps coming off and holes in the auxillary pump. everything seems to be fine now, but during the course of all these problems there has been a crapload of coolant spilled just about everywhere in the engine bay. that doesn't really bother me that much because the car is 11 years old now, but what does bother me is the smell anytime i run the heat. you guys(girls) know the smell, its that distint sweet nasty smell of heated coolant that almost smells like maple syrup. its driving me nuts, and any passanger i have in the car won't shut up about it.

i've been told that its not a good idea to powerwash your engine and engine bay, but at this point i can't think of any other way to get rid of this damn smell.

any suggestions??

My Cars
    e39 '98 540i6, 2007 B7
    A) just wait it out until it all dries away (park with hood open at night in garage???) or B) use some CITRUS orange engine cleaner on the BOTTOM parts of the engine bay only. Stay away from electronics. Use an airhose to "rinse" instead of water. The citrus might at least negate some of the smell.

I just changed radiator (after blowing the neck all over the engine bay) and had similar smells but went away after about a week.
    1998 (9/97 production date) 540i 6 Speed Sport / black on black / shadow trim / debadged / black-out grill / Carbon fiber roundels / 80w Yellow Fogs / 2.81 non- lsd diff. / 17" BBS Sport Style 19 wheels/ 245 all around tires / modified CDV / Stage I Dinan software / 5w30 synthetic/ 244k miles and counting

E65 2007 Alpina B7: Black on Black, Supercharged autobahn eater, 500hp/515trq, 245/295 tires, 141k miles with major systems rebuilt/replaced!

My Cars
    87 325is
    Run the engine until it is fully up to temperature. About 30 minutes at highway speed will suffice. Then wash the engine with a gentle spray of water. A flower watering wand works well, but a hose nozzle set on fine spray will work. Keep the hose well away from the engine bay so the it is more like rain than direct spray.

Allow the engine to dry for 8 or more hours with the hood open. That allows time for any water that's worked its way into an electrical compenent to evaporate.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    '03 E39 Wagon & '04 E83
    I would just use a low pressure garden hose on the entire engine, but keeping the water stream away from the alternator and the idler pulleys, as they have grease in them which you don't want to wash out.

I'd even use a small sponge and clean the entire engine using car shampoo. Engines are reasonably water resistant as long as you avoid the electrical bits.

My Cars
    90 535im
    Problem solved.
    KB535i

FOR SALE 90 535im. Too many mods to list.
    http://www.wichitabmw.com/535/