Thread: No power to fuel pump - Need help - whats wrong

No power to fuel pump - Need help - whats wrong

hey guys... my car started stalling out a day ago, i got it home and it hasnt started since.... turns out there is no power going to the fuel pump, fuse is ok, and no voltage across the fuse.... could it be the DME??? someone told me to check the fusible link in the rear of the car... but that doesnt make sense cuz if that fuse was broken then nothing else should work.... the car turns over and everything turns on except no power to the fuel pump... help me figure this out.. thanks!!!

My Cars
    96 328is Sprt Pkg
    maybe a relay

My Cars
    95 m3, 03 X5, 06 X3
    yup, there is a fuel relay that can go bad. i'll look up the relay number in the morning. take that relay to the dealer and get a replacement.
    #71 SM
    04 Silver Grey M3
    95 Arctic Silver M3
    03 X5 3.0L Titanium Silver
    07 GX470- Silver

Molon Labe...
    Excellence is a habit, not an act.

downeaster1 is offline Expert De-Vanos-er BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    135is #502 of 586
    sorry to bump an ancient thread, but i have the same problem. still nothing... would the crankshaft sensor throw a check engine light on an OBDI car?

downeaster1 is offline Expert De-Vanos-er BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    135is #502 of 586
    bump

My Cars
    87 325is
    If there is power to the fuel pump relay and it never closes when cranking the engine, the cause will be a bad relay, wiring fault between the relay & DME, lack of timing reference data to the DME, or a problem with the DME.

You can check the pump by jumpering the power contacts in the relay socket while you have a pressure gauge connected to the fuel rail. If the pump is good you'll see normal pressure. You need the pressure gauge for this test as the pump can run, but not produce enough pressure.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    E36 M3 euro 3.0
    Next to FP relay is DME relay. Both can fail. I didn`t even check which is for what, just replaced all three (third for O2 sensor heater).

My Cars
    95 m3
    I have a similar issue.1995 m3 cranks but no start. no power to fuel pump

worked performed:

checked fuses
    checked relays
    swapped fuel pump relay (from my other 95 m3)
    swapped dme main relay (from my other 95 m3)
    swapped ignition relay (from my other 95 m3)
    its not ewsII <-- deleted ews and cut pin 66 on back of ecu harness to bypass
    even swapped DME (from my other 95 m3)
    car cranks but no start
    removed viper alarm/remote start (thought there was an issue with loose wiring for alarm)

what's weird is when turning the key to the run position the check engine light never illuminates. The bulb isn't burnt out. any ideas?

unable to retrieve any fault codes by depressing the gas pedal 5 times with the key turned to the run position. The CEL light never iluminates?

tomorrow gonna pull the cluster n check the tach signal wire that was tapped into for the remote start maybe there's an issue there?

My Cars
    1988 M3, 1997 M3
    check for spark first

My Cars
    E36
    just an idea, check for impedance between your power into the pump and a ground. you may have a short some where.?
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's

My Cars
    1999 M3
    E30lolz made a good point. Don't yet rip into all these small possibilities before checking the obvious ones. Check resistance for fuel pump at the relay, it could just be a short to ground
    Joe

My Cars
    98' M3 Coupe
    What I would do also is jump the pump and see if it turns on like someone else had said while using a fuel pressure gauge. Always verify if the component is bad before you go and throw a new one at it. That's my .02
    Dinan CAI - Dinan Exhaust - Dinan Stage 2 Software - Depo's with 6k HID's - Brembo Slotted Rotors - Hawk HPS - More 2 Come

My Cars
    95 m3
    I am able to jump the fuel pump relay and the fuel pump turns on.
    I have not checked for spark yet but but even before checking for spark the fuel pump should prime right?

whats not happening that i notice is when i first turn the key i do not hear the fuel pump prime. also do not see the check engine light iluminate. This leads me to believe there is an issue with the POWER to the DME.
    I replaced the DME from a working 95 m3 so i know its not the DME itself.(just to rule it out)

Any body know the pin assigments for the DME plug and there functions, as wich pins power the DME etc?

Something im going to check later is the fusible link (thin wire coming from the battery pos cable) to the front distribution block. saw on another forum this was the issue.

Thank you for the responses so far.

My Cars
    2007 x5 4.8l 2004.330ci
    I believe there may be another relay of the same number as the fuel pump relay in the fuse box? Am I correct?
    If so consider using the other relay to eliminate the relay issue for sure and for cheap.

I would consider disconnecting the front hose on the fuel filter and running a
    longer hose to a bucket insuring the hose is held down in the bucket well (by a brick maybe)
    turn the key to the ON position without attempting to start the car.
    You should see lots of gasoline going into the bucket from the pump.
    This to me would positively prove you have a pump related fuel delivery problem or not.
    I know it's a simple test and provided you don't set the gasoline on fire it's fool proof.

What I do know is you shouldn't go replacing expensive things (fuel pumps) without really knowing they are bad.
    The replacing itself can cause still more problems and cloud the issue.
    When you get more then the original one thing wrong is a system it becomes much more difficult to determine and fix the system.
    Last edited by Ron97M3; 09-21-2009 at 04:10 PM.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by davem3power View Post
    I am able to jump the fuel pump relay and the fuel pump turns on.
    Replace that relay, if as you said, you can get the pump to run by bypassing it.
    Walk a mile in my shoes and you are a mile away in someone else's shoes.
    Goodridge*UUC sways* Black TME's and mounts( switched from Red)* x-brace*brembo rotors*Zimmerman rear*Pagid*Riken Raptors* Roja Formula 7's (Bronze)* Stromung*Powdercoated AA DSB* OMP strut bar*GC RSM's* M3 alum/leather knob*JTD underpanel *Traffic PRO (sold) *Black hella Ellipsoids w/celis rings * ACS Pedals*ACS handbrake*RE Octane SSK*Wheelskins Eurotones S/ Wheel Cover( tossed-replaced with new one)* Totally Covers Front seat velour covers with custom styling *Rieger roof spoiler-lost it on fwy Stock A/B*URI CP (ditched years ago)*540 HFM (sold) Stock HFM (BeckArnley)*FMS 24 lb inj*Alum rad and some other stuff*Konis w/adj rr's*Vogtland springs ** Passport 8500(sold)*Passpprt 7500 (sold V1-1.8 with POP) No detectors at all.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    2007 x5 4.8l 2004.330ci
    I am wondering if it could be a bad fuel pressure regulator?

Bad fuel relay?

I really would like to know if it will deliver fuel to a bucket.
    If it doesn't then it's up from some how. If it doesn't then
    then a relay or regulator I am thinking.

I do like doing the cheap/free tests first to learn as much as we can
    sooner or later you get enough clues to find the problem. Typically it's something cheap and easy to fix.

My Cars
    1988 M3, 1997 M3
    update?

My Cars
    95 m3
    I will be working on the car this weekend to furthur trouble shoot but just to update you guys and i cant believe it but i was concerned that the check engine line would not iluminate when turning the key and that i was unable to retrieve fault codes (if any) and can ya believe it Yep the bulb was burnt out, what a coincidence. so i was able to retrieve a code and its 1281 'control module memory' so i will be hunting down the issue this weekend and update when i have a resolution.

Gonna check for spark and all relays again. If no spark maybe crank sensor? i have a spare one i could give it a shot.

My Cars
    95 m3
    I figured it out, ISSUE resolved!!!

It was the crank sensor. So for those of you who exsperience an issue where there is no power being sent to the fuel pump and no spark. and fuses relays all check out fine, check the crank sensor.

My Cars
    2007 x5 4.8l 2004.330ci
    Quote Originally Posted by davem3power View Post
    I figured it out, ISSUE resolved!!!

It was the crank sensor. So for those of you who exsperience an issue where there is no power being sent to the fuel pump and no spark. and fuses relays all check out fine, check the crank sensor.
    Thank you very much Dave! This is a real good thing to know.
    Man it was bad luck having the Check Engine Light out!

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    First thing I recommend in these crank but no start threads is crank sensor (next is EWS if wiring has been screwed with). No one ever listens
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/