Thread: Tire rub + caster questions

My Cars
    2003 M5

Tire rub + caster questions

I've noticed that my driver's side front tire will rub at the back wheel well lining at near full lock, but the passenger side does not. So I took a measurement, and it seems the driver's side tire is about 1/4" further back.

I'm assuming there is no caster adjustment on the e36, so what else could cause this? I took a look at the lower control arm, and it doesn't seem bent at all. Will worn lca bushings cause caster issues?

My Cars
    325is
    I think it's more of a steering rack issue. I'm assumming that you have a '92 or '93 E36. On the later ones they installed a steering lock limiter.
    My '93 rubs at the rear of the wheel wells too. But I'd never give up the turning radius. My g/f '97 328i is a pig compared to my '93 325is.
    "faster...Faster...FASTER...Until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death"
    -Hunter S. Thompson

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by FierySphere
    I think it's more of a steering rack issue. I'm assumming that you have a '92 or '93 E36. On the later ones they installed a steering lock limiter.
    My '93 rubs at the rear of the wheel wells too. But I'd never give up the turning radius. My g/f '97 328i is a pig compared to my '93 325is.
    but why would his driver side be further back then the passenger? shouldn't it be even if that is the case?

My Cars
    325is
    Quote Originally Posted by auto3251
    but why would his driver side be further back then the passenger? shouldn't it be even if that is the case?
    Depends what he's measuring from. I wouldn't necessary trust the fender, certainly not any of the plastic bumper cover pieces, and perhaps not even the strut towers as a good place to measure from.

I would what to string the car (unless you have access to a laser alignment jig like body shops use) to find the actual lateral and longitudinal centers. Check that the chassis is square. Check that the 4 wheels are aligned correctly. *THEN* I'd measure the wheel centers from the known accurate landmarks (or the lat. and long. centers)
    "faster...Faster...FASTER...Until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death"
    -Hunter S. Thompson