Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate FDM (Fan Delete Mod) Thread

My Cars
    Beefcake 94' 325iS
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavalamp
    the fan doesn't fly off, the blades hit the shroud or something else and breaks. usually caused by the water pump going out..

. been there

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    water pump is only 1 year old !!!!
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    s50 e36
    Its not the water pump. I had my water pump replaced and my old fan still broke 2 times. Do the fan delete, its worth it.

My Cars
    2017 M3, 95 M3
    Just do it, and blame the mechanic.

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Not doing the FDM unless I get a secondary electric fan to cool the radiator.. thats how the system works, and I sit in a LOT of traffic. There has to be a reason why the fan grenaded, going to track that down first instead of putting a band-aid on the situation.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    2000 Dinan 540

Sorry To Ad To This Thread, BUT

Hey Fella's Got A Question I Read All Of The Threads On This Subject And Decided This Is The Way To Go, But I Do The Florida Road Trip Every Year, I Live Here In NY, And To Protect My Investment I Will Like To Know Where To Purchase That Back Up Electric Fan. All The Post No One Put One Up On How To get Hold Of That Electric Fan.

My Cars
    09 Yamaha R6s & 95 325iC
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronsupreme
    Hey Fella's Got A Question I Read All Of The Threads On This Subject And Decided This Is The Way To Go, But I Do The Florida Road Trip Every Year, I Live Here In NY, And To Protect My Investment I Will Like To Know Where To Purchase That Back Up Electric Fan. All The Post No One Put One Up On How To get Hold Of That Electric Fan.

http://www.the-fan-man.com/shop/prod...f56950784bdcb5
    -Ivan

My Cars
    1966 mustang, 1996 bmw 328is
    you know ive been reading up on this thread for some time now and i dont think i have ever seen anyone say they over heated when they did this mod.

has anyone ever over heated??
    blue1966coupe

My Cars
    5/94 Euro 325i coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by blue1966coupe
    you know ive been reading up on this thread for some time now and i dont think i have ever seen anyone say they over heated when they did this mod.

has anyone ever over heated??
    I overheated when my expansion tank went bad. Can you blame the FDM?

Quote Originally Posted by ClintonM3 View Post
    the Audi A4 is a tweaked, cosmetically enhanced, cross platform, put-together overnight VW.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeuser528e View Post
    Staggard setups are for cars that you park at show meets. They go well with 5 screens and 3 12"s.

My Cars
    2009 135i
    just did the fan delete today, i can actually feel a difference at low rpm's! No overheating yet...hopefully everything's good...i just have a lot of coolant overflowing lol

National Capital Chapter BMW CCA #367673

My Cars
    98 328i

hills

I have a 98 328i with 52k,I am pretty much sold on the fan delete,along with a CAI. I have read pretty much everything I could on the FDM,there is a lot of info but not many references to using the car with this modification in a many big hill situation aka the grapevine and the likes,I would appreciate any experience that might shed some light on this matter.

zazen is offline на порядок выше
    My Cars
    '10 wrx
    do you guys bleed all the coolant system or just add the watter wetter? what is the right way to do it? i thought you just put all the parts on and add water wetter to your coolant, but i havent heard anything about bleeding the system? i thought you only do that if you change all the coolant entirely, is that what i should do when doning a FDM?

My Cars
    89 325ix, 85 eta
    Quote Originally Posted by zazen
    do you guys bleed all the coolant system or just add the watter wetter? what is the right way to do it? i thought you just put all the parts on and add water wetter to your coolant, but i havent heard anything about bleeding the system? i thought you only do that if you change all the coolant entirely, is that what i should do when doning a FDM?
    anytime you do something to the cooling system that would introduce air in the system, you should bleed the system. this includes the FDM. this would not normally include something like topping off the expansion tank to the kalt line.
    Hold on let me get my laptop and read this on the toilet.
    --DrDub

My Cars
    1984 BMW 325e
    I live in Houston. It gets up to 100 degrees...in April. Okay, maybe not that high, that early in the year, but definately once May hits we are seeing 90 degree weather.

I'm not about to sit in 90+ degree weather, 5 months out of the year, with the AC blowing, in Houston traffic with 80% humidity.

This might work in the northern states, or the ones where the weather rarely goes above 80 degrees, but I'm not going to take my chances here in "the armpit of Texas".

If I go electrical, it will be with a real electric fan.

My Cars
    1999 328ic, manual tranny
    Quote Originally Posted by NASAg03
    I live in Houston. It gets up to 100 degrees...in April. Okay, maybe not that high, that early in the year, but definately once May hits we are seeing 90 degree weather.

I'm not about to sit in 90+ degree weather, 5 months out of the year, with the AC blowing, in Houston traffic with 80% humidity.

This might work in the northern states, or the ones where the weather rarely goes above 80 degrees, but I'm not going to take my chances here in "the armpit of Texas".

If I go electrical, it will be with a real electric fan.
    This mod, if done correctly, should work even if you live in Mexico City. If you are not comfortable with it, by all means don't do it. Most states deal with high temp/humidity and traffic in larger cities, I don't see Houston as an exception.

My Cars
    1966 mustang, 1996 bmw 328is
    well just did the mod and it was easy.

couple things i noticed:

1.) the aux. fan doesnt come on much (granted it wasnt that hot today)
    2.) ive seen some people mention that the dummy gauge may not change with a 40 deg. change. that may be so but ill tell you that the system is working properly. i used a laser therm. to see how hot it actualy got. 199.5 was the hottest i saw it get, and right after that the fan turned on and it dropped to 188.5. so i will do the same test when im in very hot weather and let you know.

as for right now i do feel alot better knowing i dont have to worry about the fan exploding (witch may i add that two blades snapped off in the removal, not using much force either)

as far as power....ehh i didnt notice much, if any.
    blue1966coupe

My Cars
    2003 325i
    im kind of a noob w/ the cooling system..is it hard to bleed the system correctly..or is it easy to get air bubbles?

My Cars
    2003 325i
    also on understeer i don't see 328is there for the fdm kit?

My Cars
    09 Yamaha R6s & 95 325iC
    Quote Originally Posted by .jordan
    also on understeer i don't see 328is there for the fdm kit?
    there's only 1 kit
    -Ivan

My Cars
    09 Yamaha R6s & 95 325iC
    im kind of a noob w/ the cooling system..is it hard to bleed the system correctly..or is it easy to get air bubbles?
    it's not hard to bleed
    -Ivan

My Cars
    '12 135i
    Quote Originally Posted by blue1966coupe
    well just did the mod and it was easy.

couple things i noticed:

1.) the aux. fan doesnt come on much (granted it wasnt that hot today)
    2.) ive seen some people mention that the dummy gauge may not change with a 40 deg. change. that may be so but ill tell you that the system is working properly. i used a laser therm. to see how hot it actualy got. 199.5 was the hottest i saw it get, and right after that the fan turned on and it dropped to 188.5. so i will do the same test when im in very hot weather and let you know.

as for right now i do feel alot better knowing i dont have to worry about the fan exploding (witch may i add that two blades snapped off in the removal, not using much force either)

as far as power....ehh i didnt notice much, if any.
    I didn't notice any power either with the delete, but throttle response was a lot crisper.
    -Jeff
    '12 135i (Space Grey): Stock
    '98 323is (Schwartz II) (Sold ): UUC SSK w/ clutch stop, UUC UDPs, Cosmos short ram intake, Fan delete, M3 cats and exhaust, M50 manifold, CDV delete, H&R Sport + Bilstein sports
    Smoke corners, clear sides and tails, rear lip spoiler, Umnitza depo euro ellipsoids w/ DDEs, Apexcone DDM HID 6000k, black grills, M3 front bumper, mirrors, and rear diffuser, CSL reps

'04 M3 (Estoril) (Sold ): SMG, Meisterschaft SUS exhaust, GC coilovers, Hotchkiss sway bars, Brembo BBK w/ Estoril calipers
    Estoril side reflectors & headlight trim, Rep Strassentech front lip, Vorsteiner CSL trunklid and rear diffuser, ACS roof spoiler, automatic rear sunshade, HRE 545R

My Cars
    5/94 Euro 325i coupe
    Just do what it's explained at understeer and you will be fine.

the Audi A4 is a tweaked, cosmetically enhanced, cross platform, put-together overnight VW.
    Staggard setups are for cars that you park at show meets. They go well with 5 screens and 3 12"s.

My Cars
    08 328i|01 530i|96 328s
    So over the weekend I have:

Replaced T-stat w/ 75 degree (fdm)
    Replaced Coolant Hoses; Upper, Lower & Overflow tank w/SAMCO pieces
    Replaced Coolant Level Sensor
    Replaced Fan Swtich to lower temp model (fdm)
    Removed Mechanical Fan(fdm)
    OH and Installed Zionsville Aluminum Radiator (fdm)

Replaced VANOS Solenoid
    Replaced VCG
    Replaced Spark Plug gaskets
    Replaced Spark Plugs
    Replaced O2 sensors
    Replaced Intake Boot
    Replaced a few dried out Vac lines w/ Silicone
    Cleaned TB
    Adjusted Throttle Cables

So far so good, car runs just right temp, doesnt take tooo long to warm up, but stays within range. Bleeding wasnt to difficult. Having the car on a slight inclined,(nose up) helps.

~Phil
    Last edited by LuvMy328is; 04-05-2006 at 02:40 AM.
    Madeiraviolett Bf.C club member #001

1996 BMW 328is Madeiraviolett/Dove Grey: 5 Spd, Sport, Cold Weather & Premium Sound pkgs.
    3.5" ECIS/ITG intake -> Samco ASC Delete Boot -> DINAN TB -> M50 Manifold -> S52 Cams | Bav Auto Red-top ignition coils tuned w/ AA software, Dynomax Cats & Stromung exhaust UUC Pulleys & Clutch stop, FDM=Zionsville radiator, Mishimoto Tank, SAMCO hoses, Fidanza LTW flywheel & M3 clutch, UUC Evo3 SSK, 3.23 LSD, Koni/Eibach Adjustable Damper suspension, PUR RSM's & RTABs, CF Strut brace, UUC Swaybarbarians, Motorsport X-Brace, 17x8 Beyern Mesh wheels Hella CELIS projectors + 5k TRS HID's, Fog delete=Brake cooling duct, LTW wing, ///M Bumper & R. Diffuser
    CCA Member #382557

My Cars
    09 Yamaha R6s & 95 325iC
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvMy328is
    Replaced Coolant Hoses; Upper, Lower & Overlow tank w/SAMCO pieces
    Replaced Coolant Level Sensor
    OH and Installed Zionsville Aluminum Radiator (fdm)
    Replaced VANOS Solenoid
    Replaced VCG what is this?
    Replaced Spark Plug gaskets what is this?
    Replaced Intake Boot
    Cleaned TB what did you clean it with?
    Adjusted Throttle Cables what do you mean?
    hey, got a few questions for you...
    first of all, answer all questions in bold above...
    second, how much was everything above individually, where did you purchase it, and how hard was the install ?
    -Ivan

My Cars
    5/94 Euro 325i coupe
    VCG=valve cover gasket

Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast