Thread: Best time to take indoor shots?

My Cars
    RIP:'93 325i ; '07 e61 x

Best time to take indoor shots?

I have a Canon Powershot A70 (3.2) and nothing else.

I recently took some pictures of a kitchen, but the lighting seemed totally bad. I tried to utilize the kitchen lighting, but I think it was too bright outside ~1 pm.

So either my flash reflected too much, or there was not enough light in the room (silhouette).

What's a good time to take indoor pics?
    3rd Infantry Division, United States Army

"Rock of the Marne!"

My Cars
    83 CBX 1050 / 09 Vstrom
    Generally, I like to take indoor pics on cloudy days, or at least when the sun is high enough not to be shining in the windows. Also, white balance can help with kitchen shots, where flourescent lights and other funky things can give problems. I try not to use the flash at all in indoor shots, expecially in kitchens with lots of reflective sufaces and places for wierd shadows to hang out. Post the pic in question, and we can probably be of more help with specifics. Here's a recent kitchen shot of mine (very low res.):
    Last edited by catseye; 01-10-2006 at 05:52 PM.

All I recall is dirt, sky, dirt, ambulance....

My Cars
    98 M3/4D/5S | 94 MB E320
    Easy way is just take pic when the light inside with lights on matches the light level of outside. But that isnt always easy.
    Another way is to photoshop the blown windows.
    Anyways those are other stuff u can do but we need the pic in question to better answer you.
    1998 M3/4/5SPD Estoril Modena

My Cars
    83 CBX 1050 / 09 Vstrom
    Quote Originally Posted by EnzoXYZ
    Easy way is just take pic when the light inside with lights on matches the light level of outside. But that isnt always easy.
    Another way is to photoshop the blown windows.
    Anyways those are other stuff u can do but we need the pic in question to better answer you.
    Yeah, photoshop is a great "fixer". Here's how I deal with blown out windows:
    shot 1:

shot 2:

shot 1 + shot 2:

Obviously, a tripod is required....

My Cars
    RIP:'93 325i ; '07 e61 x
    Hey, thanks for the info guys!!

I took quite a few shots but ended up deleting most of them. They mostly look like "shot 1" and "shot 2" in catseyeweb's last post.

I don't own Pshop, but I definately will get it soon now. How'd you "add" both shots together to correct the blown window?

Also, I think my camera needs a tune-up or something - pics don't seem as sharp anymore; I've had the camera for less than a year.
    3rd Infantry Division, United States Army

"Rock of the Marne!"

My Cars
    83 CBX 1050 / 09 Vstrom
    Quote Originally Posted by RacermeX
    Hey, thanks for the info guys!!

I took quite a few shots but ended up deleting most of them. They mostly look like "shot 1" and "shot 2" in catseyeweb's last post.

I don't own Pshop, but I definately will get it soon now. How'd you "add" both shots together to correct the blown window?

Also, I think my camera needs a tune-up or something - pics don't seem as sharp anymore; I've had the camera for less than a year.
    I put one on top of the other (layer) and reduce the transparency of the top layer until it looks right (if the dark one is on top, I make it 30%, if the light one is on top, I make it 70%). I think you can do a lot of what you want with Photoshop "Elements", which is much cheaper than CS. Also, go buy this book: The Photoshop CS Book for Digital Photographers, by Scott Kelby - Awesome!