Thread: Help with engine building

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3

Help with engine building

Like many people, I too plan on building my engine this winter; I just don’t know what im building it for yet. That’s where im hoping I could get some help. I am currently looking in to 3 different FI systems; Eurosports Twin-Screw, RMS Stage 2 Supercharger kit, and Boost Logics Turbo kit.
    As far as my engine building goes im really not sure what to do and it really depends on what I pick for my FI system.

If I go turbo I plan on the following engine mods:
    Boost Logic Specced 8.5:1 CP Pistons
    Billet 4340 Pauter Rods
    Ferrea High Performance Valve Spring Set (NEW - Vac High Performance Dual Valve Springs)
    Ferrea Competition Big Valves
    Ferrea Spring Seat Set
    Ferrea Titanium Retainer Set (NEW - Vac Titanium retainers)
    Vac Turbo Cams

As far as the SC kits I really don’t know what should be done, you see I had planed on going turbo but I have recently rethought my plans. Basically what im looking for is help on what I need to be doing and what I should be putting into my engine and what I shouldn’t(as well as for witch applacation the mods would be for). Please feel free to criticize my turbo engine mod list and suggest what I should and shouldn’t be doing.. If I do go SC I would plan on new pistons, rods basically the same list only slightly different (i.e.- not 8.5:1 pistons ect) o and what ever I do I do plan on doing replacing any non upgraded parts with new OEM parts.

Thanks,
    Scott

NEW - would buy the vaC springs and retaines in a kit but theres a possible confliction between parts see post 11 for more info
    Last edited by BlackHawkRacing; 01-10-2006 at 09:02 PM.

My Cars
    332 turbo
    id so with the boostlogic turbo kit or the twinscrew, not rms, eurobahn is better IMHO. that looks like a pretty good build lots of money though youll want a head gasket also dont use the one from bmw.

My Cars
    95 BMW M3,01 AUDI S4
    Go turbo!!!!! Fuck a s/c

Built //Motor+ Boostlogic Kit= SUPER PIMP BOOST.....

If your looking for some turbo spec cams VAC Motorsports sell's them.
    Im also building my motor for turbo boost...

This is some stuff im using:
    CP Forged Pistons ( 8.5:1)
    Arrow Rods
    VAC MLS Head Gaskets (.071)
    ARP Head and Main Studs
    VAC Turbo Spec Cams
    VAC Stg.3 Cylinder Head
    w/ Ferrea .......
    3.2L Crank
    3.2L Block

Im should get my Boostlogic Manifold and GT35R in a week.....

My Cars
    332 turbo
    boostlogic manifold is sick i running one. how much did you get connected with those vac cams? pm me

Puget Sound, WA - San Juan MM Philippines
    My Cars
    97 M-Technic 328i * 06 Navigator * 08 C350
    I wouldn't recommend Pauter if you are doing that low of compression and going with high boost (or any boost with low compression). Pauter's rod design is more meant for high revving NA or S/C engines - the '+' design is meant for lightweight and supposedly is designed to 'cut through' motor oil with less resistance. You would want a rod that is more designed for strength than high revs - Crower is a good one ('H' design, much stronger). I was trying to find a thread I read recently that talked about this specifically... I'll keep looking.

My Cars
    Turbo M3
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawkRacing
    Like many people, I too plan on building my engine this winter; I just don’t know what im building it for yet. That’s where im hoping I could get some help. I am currently looking in to 3 different FI systems; Eurosports Twin-Screw, RMS Stage 2 Supercharger kit, and Boost Logics Turbo kit.
    As far as my engine building goes im really not sure what to do and it really depends on what I pick for my FI system.

If I go turbo I plan on the following engine mods:
    Boost Logic Specced 8.5:1 CP Pistons
    Billet 4340 Pauter Rods
    Ferrea High Performance Valve Spring Set
    Ferrea Competition Big Valves
    Ferrea Spring Seat Set
    Ferrea Titanium Retainer Set
    Possible Turbo Cams and so far that’s it

As far as the SC kits I really don’t know what should be done, you see I had planed on going turbo but I have recently rethought my plans. Basically what im looking for is help on what I need to be doing and what I should be putting into my engine and what I shouldn’t(as well as for witch applacation the mods would be for). Please feel free to criticize my turbo engine mod list and suggest what I should and shouldn’t be doing.. If I do go SC I would plan on new pistons, rods basically the same list only slightly different (i.e.- not 8.5:1 pistons ect) o and what ever I do I do plan on doing replacing any non upgraded parts with new OEM parts.

Thanks,
    Scott

My brother has some brand new 1mm oversized ferrera valves for sale, we will let them go for a good price. Intake and exhaust. He is going a different route with his project.

My Cars
    So many Audis
    Hey man, welcome to future boost! The setup you have listed sounds good. There will be a lot of people saying Pauter rods aren't meant for this or that, or that they aren't strong enough. I think we can safely assume that they are stronger than the stock rods, correct? And cardcounter has been running quite a bit of boost for some time now on stock internals. I believe he is up to 640-ish whp right now? SO, if the stock rods can handle that, and Pauter rods are surely stronger, I would bet my paycheck that, barring any manufacturing defect, the Pauter rods will be fine. I know guys, my reasoning is probably flawed. Can anyone show me someone here that is using Pauter rods and FI on a reasonable amount of boost/hp (say 600-750hp) that has broken one?Anyway, if you are on any sort of budget, you may want to consider Supertech valvetrain parts as well. How much are the pistons going to run you from Boostlogic? I'm looking to get a set of 8.5:1s for my S50 Turbo I'm building. And if you do end up going with another type of rod, let me know, as I am still sourcing mine. I have no reason to buy right now, so I'm still weighing options. Good luck with the build and I hope you share all the stories with us.
    -Tim

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdoenutz
    My brother has some brand new 1mm oversized ferrera valves for sale, we will let them go for a good price. Intake and exhaust. He is going a different route with his project.
    How much? by brand new do you mean that they havent even been instaled? Let me know im very interested.

Quote Originally Posted by sandspeed
    How much are the pistons going to run you from Boostlogic?
    Site says 1275, im gonna lookaround though see how much i can get other 8.5:1's for.

EEEEeeee36 - As far as my rods go i plan on sticking with them becuase i trust boost logic and if they are useing them on there cars, they much be doing pretty good with them, however i will take your advice in to consideration and take a look at the Crower rods, never know i may change my mind on the pauters.

I also want to thank everyone for responding. i glad to see that im on the right track, i was totaly expecting to have my list torn apart. Again thanks for you help and for you suggestions.

My Cars
    Turbo M3
    How much? by brand new do you mean that they havent even been instaled? Let me know im very interested.

Site says 1275, im gonna lookaround though see how much i can get other 8.5:1's for.

EEEEeeee36 - As far as my rods go i plan on sticking with them becuase i trust boost logic and if they are useing them on there cars, they much be doing pretty good with them, however i will take your advice in to consideration and take a look at the Crower rods, never know i may change my mind on the pauters.

I also want to thank everyone for responding. i glad to see that im on the right track, i was totaly expecting to have my list torn apart. Again thanks for you help and for you suggestions.

$525.00 + shipping obo. they were never installed, and still in their wrappings. so they are absolutely brand new.

Puget Sound, WA - San Juan MM Philippines
    My Cars
    97 M-Technic 328i * 06 Navigator * 08 C350

Please, don't get me wrong. Pauter rods are the isht... they are truly awesome. I am biased a little towards Crower because my Dad comes from a background of building super high compression NA Hot Rod monsters and they use Crower...however recently a member on the forums who is a structural engineer did an analysis on Crower rods vs. stock vs. Pauter and said the design of the Crower rods was a stronger design for end to end strenth, while the Pauter rods where designed for more strength in lateral force. I was trying to find that thread - I thought I had subsribed to it but I guess not.

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3
    $525.00 + shipping obo. they were never installed, and still in their wrappings. so they are absolutely brand new.
    Let back to you either later tonight or tomarro.

EEEEeeee36 - I totaly understand where you coming from. Also if you can find that comparasion thread LMK cuase i would like to take a look at it, i will start searching my self but if you do find it def LMK.

I also found some new engine upgrades from VAC that interested me and was wondering what you guys thought? VAC Solid Lifter Conversion Kit, VAC Turbo Camshafts, and VAC High Performance Valve Spring Kit (High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Titanium Valve Retainers, Shims,) instead of the Ferrea's.... the only problem i see with the new spring kit is that i would still have to use the Ferrea seats and it states on Turnermotorsport.com (where i planed on buying the ferrea stuff) it states that the spring seats "MUST be uses with the Ferrea valve springs." and they are "Recommended to be used with the Ferrea Competition Plus Big Valves and Ferrea Titanium Retainers." it also says that the Ferrea retainers must be used with the ferrea seats and Ferrea springs. so im wondering do you thing they REALLY have to be used together or is it just a marketing scheem? now i havent really looking that hard or an alternitive spring seat so any suggestions would be greatly appsheated.

Thanks,
    scott

My Cars
    Turbo M3
    Let back to you either later tonight or tomarro.

EEEEeeee36 - I totaly understand where you coming from. Also if you can find that comparasion thread LMK cuase i would like to take a look at it, i will start searching my self but if you do find it def LMK.

I also found some new engine upgrades from VAC that interested me and was wondering what you guys thought? VAC Solid Lifter Conversion Kit, VAC Turbo Camshafts, and VAC High Performance Valve Spring Kit (High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Titanium Valve Retainers, Shims,) instead of the Ferrea's.... the only problem i see with the new spring kit is that i would still have to use the Ferrea seats and it states on Turnermotorsport.com (where i planed on buying the ferrea stuff) it states that the spring seats "MUST be uses with the Ferrea valve springs." and they are "Recommended to be used with the Ferrea Competition Plus Big Valves and Ferrea Titanium Retainers." it also says that the Ferrea retainers must be used with the ferrea seats and Ferrea springs. so im wondering do you thing they REALLY have to be used together or is it just a marketing scheem? now i havent really looking that hard or an alternitive spring seat so any suggestions would be greatly appsheated.

Thanks,
    scott

ill be selling my vac dual springs soon, only a few thousands miles on them.

My Cars
    So many Audis
    I think the VAC springs are a Ferrea spring kit. If not, I'd like to know what they are.

My Cars
    I am selling my complete turbo kit and turbo/FI motor if you are interested. You could encounter a considerable savings!

-keith

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3
    ill be selling my vac dual springs soon, only a few thousands miles on them.
    Hmm... how soon & how much? LMK. O about the Valves, 500+cost of shipping LMK ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by sandspeed
    I think the VAC springs are a Ferrea spring kit. If not, I'd like to know what they are.
    that would be sick if they were. Ill call VAC later today to see if they are.

icemann633 - Ill let you know. Im gonna look at it and cruch some numbers.

My Cars
    Turbo M3
    Hmm... how soon & how much? LMK. O about the Valves, 500+cost of shipping LMK ASAP.

that would be sick if they were. Ill call VAC later today to see if they are.

icemann633 - Ill let you know. Im gonna look at it and cruch some numbers.

500 + shipping, i can do that. email me matt @ turbom3.com

vac springs are not ferrera springs, ive asked them before. i cant remember which company makes them for them. My dual springs will be for sale in about 2 weeks.

Makr is offline Snark engineer PHD Moderator
    My Cars
    '85 635
    Quote Originally Posted by EEEEeeee36
    Please, don't get me wrong. Pauter rods are the isht... they are truly awesome. I am biased a little towards Crower because my Dad comes from a background of building super high compression NA Hot Rod monsters and they use Crower...however recently a member on the forums who is a structural engineer did an analysis on Crower rods vs. stock vs. Pauter and said the design of the Crower rods was a stronger design for end to end strenth, while the Pauter rods where designed for more strength in lateral force. I was trying to find that thread - I thought I had subsribed to it but I guess not.

Here you go.
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...6&postcount=25
    Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.
    Henry David Thoreau

Ride fast, safety last.

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3
    Makr - Thanks for the thread

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3
    500 + shipping, i can do that. email me matt @ turbom3.com

vac springs are not ferrera springs, ive asked them before. i cant remember which company makes them for them. My dual springs will be for sale in about 2 weeks.
    Just sent out and email