Thread: Can anyone run a radio serial number for my radio code?

My Cars
    BMW 325is

Can anyone run a radio serial number for my radio code?

I need someone who works at a dealership to run the serial number because at the stealership here wants forty dollars to take out the head unit. Help is greatly appreciated!

My Cars
    325i, 2002 tii, 325is, 525it, 735i
    Quote Originally Posted by simlamblue
    I need someone who works at a dealership to run the serial number because at the stealership here wants forty dollars to take out the head unit. Help is greatly appreciated!
    I never got a repsonse here when I needed one but found that I could take my head unit out in about 2-minutes (OK, about 30-seconds), so I drove to the stealership, pulled it out, and walked up the parts counter and they looked it up for free.

My Cars
    01 540i/6,02M5,99M3,72E3
    Wow that was nice of them. Did they ask for id or anything like that to make sure you dident steal it ?

My Cars
    BMW 318IS, VW Beetle, MGB Tourer
    here you can see how to remove the factory unit http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech.../E36-Radio.htm

My Cars
    2013 M3, 1993 325is
    I called my dealer and they gave it to me over the phone..
    Dan

My Cars
    325i, 2002 tii, 325is, 525it, 735i
    Quote Originally Posted by leedawg
    Wow that was nice of them. Did they ask for id or anything like that to make sure you dident steal it ?
    No, but the service department was about 20-feet from my car and I had the registration (not that he looked at it). What was funny is that he said I didn't need to take it out, just provide the serial number. He actually felt bad that I went through the trouble to pull it out.

The whole thing is stupid anyway because there is no way for a dealer to know if a unit is stolen. I could steal your radio, install it in my car, go to the dealer with it installed, pay them the $$, they pull it out and get the serial number and give me the code. The serial number is not connected to my VIN and I don't know anyone that knows the serial number to their stereo unless they removed it so that it would be reported stolen and still it would not end up in the BMW database...

At this point most of these radios are getting old and the whole code thing was kind of stupid to begin with and I think dealers understand that it probably never really protected the units, it was just a pain for owners.

My Cars
    BMW 325is
    effing tards ripping off people with no money to remove effing to hex screws... the reason i asked was that there was a guy who worked at a dealership and was giving codes for free, i guess i should take mine out and see how much they want to plug in 7 digits into their computer, i wonder what labor would cost then... Thanks for your help guys!

My Cars
    BMW 325is
    effing tards ripping off people with no money to remove 2 effing hex screws... the reason i asked was that there was a guy who worked at a dealership and was giving codes for free, i guess i should take mine out and see how much they want to plug in 7 digits into their computer, i wonder what labor would cost then... Thanks for your help guys!

My Cars
    BMW 328i
    Ryan helped me get the serial code. sendittoryan at yahoo dot com...

cheers,
    zolog