Thread: Suspension advice please!

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer

Question Suspension advice please!

Hey all,

I need a bit of suspension advice before I drop the cash. I know every setup is different, and tuning and experimentation is key, but perhaps I can get some starting recomendation and advice. Here's my current setup for reference (this is a track only car, trailered, not street legal):

- 95 M3, ~220WHP (eurosport cam kit), OE LSD (3:15) and tranny
    - Gutted, ~2600lbs. Cage ties into front strut towers, but not rear (goes to rear bulk head)
    - Current suspension is H&R Race with Bilstein sports, stock otherwise
    - 17x8.5 K1s with 245/40/17 Hoosiers or 255/40/17 RA-1s
    - 17x8 with Hoosier wets (225/45/17???) for rain

I'm running a full season of Solo 1 in Ontario this year, with some regional racing thrown in ... tracks are Mosport, Treblant, Shannonville, etc.

For Solo 1, I need to use the stock anti-roll bars (this year), so I was thinking of using slightly higher than normal spring rates to compensate. At the same time, I want the car fairly low, but retain good suspension travel without riding bumpstops (my current problem).

My budget for suspension is 2-3k, so I'm leaning towards TCK D/As with 700/750 or 750/800 rates. I'll run GC camber plates and rear adjustable LCAs for good camber (say -4, -3). I'll also upgrade the major bushings to solid bearings (LCAB, RTAB, etc.). Anything else I should be considering doing? I know the D/As are better in the long run once I gain experience with tuning, but should I go with S/As for now? As in, will I see a benefit by going with the D/As right away? Would the Advance Design D/As be better/different than the Koni D/As from TCK?

Sorry for the long post, but my wallet finger is getting itchy

group n bilsteins, chuck stickley i think has a set of them cssmotorsports.com
    - Chris
    Zygmunt Motors
    215 348-3121
    Bimmerparts.com sponsors the Track, Auto-X & Drag Racing Forum

My Cars
    '95 M3 CR car - IP // '98 M3/4 Daily Driver

TCK Dual Adjustables

Arek,
    What ypu contemplate there are pretty much exactly what I've been running for the last two yrs in DE and now in BMW CR...

TCK DA's with ~675ft/~775#rr rate spring (in dry cond's anyhow...) and I've been pretty happy, even on excessively bumpy tracks (the biggest test being Sebring last Jan) - where I could tune them as needed.

Dave
    #65, IP
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rollie; 01-05-2006 at 12:37 PM.

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    Quote Originally Posted by rollie
    Arek,
    What ypu contemplate there are pretty much exactly what I've been running for the last two yrs in DE and now in BMW CR...

TCK DA's with ~675ft/~775#rr rate spring (in dry cond's anyhow...) and I've been pretty happy, even on excessively bumpy tracks (the biggest test being Sebring last Jan) - where I could tune them as needed.

Dave
    #65, IP
    Thanks, Dave. So you change your springs for wet (in addition to adjusting the shocks)? Are you running any after market anti-roll bars? How often do the shocks need rebuilding, and where do you send them (being in Canada and all).

My Cars
    '95 M3 CR car - IP // '98 M3/4 Daily Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotcH
    Thanks, Dave. So you change your springs for wet (in addition to adjusting the shocks)? Are you running any after market anti-roll bars? How often do the shocks need rebuilding, and where do you send them (being in Canada and all).
    Some people(racers) do....all depends from what I know on the track. I've always been abl to compensate thru the shock/damper settings so far. Often for very extreme track surface guys do though (ie. tremblant which is VERY smaooth in the wet OR conversely Sebring (very bumpy and quite coarse when wet)

I do have a second set of (used) softer springs (450#/525#) for wet conds which I've tried and like in testing, but have never felt I've needed to run on a race wknd. Sooner or later will be caught on/in a "monsoon" wknd though...

As far as shock rebuilding - from others I've heard quite a range...haven't had to think about it yet - I've got about 8 races (and likely, maybe ~40 track days total on them since new...for whatever that's worth...) No sources from what I know anyhow, this side of the stripe for rebuilding shocks.

As far as sways, I run UUC's bars.

BTW, I don't profess by any means to be an expert Arek, just playing around...so don't take my word as gospel by any means.
    Best regards,
    Dave

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    any other opinions/suggestions?