Thread: Stumped on turn signals not working!!

My Cars
    1972 BMW 2002, 1993 MB 300E, 2003 Tahoe

Stumped on turn signals not working!!

I had non operating turn signals so i bought a new relay, and they started working no problem.

Then....I started cleaning up under the dash, and under the hood, all kinds of loose wires & connections from the fuse panel thru the fire-wall, going no where from previous owner. Looked like some went to fog lights, maybe a radio etc..I then added a new cd player, all new wires for that running to battery etc...and now I have no turn signals, nor hazard's. All other electrics and gauges work in the car.

Wondering what i snipped or removed that casued this.

FQ

My Cars
    its your hazards, Get them to work and bingo the turn signals will work again, chances you missed a power connection to the hazards.

My Cars
    '92 BMW 325i
    How do you get hazards to work if relay has been swapped already, I've done everything I could.

I had to swap the trunk wiring due to the fraying issue, I swapped my LCM because it was fried. and my relay and I still have zero turn signals and hazards. Any ideas ?

My Cars
    several
    Make sure your push in flasher button is connected properly.

My Cars
    '76 BMW 2002, '04 BMW X5
    Quote Originally Posted by 2many02s View Post
    Make sure your push in flasher button is connected properly.
    Yep. The hazard button needs to be perfectly stuck in the off position. Often getting a new hazard button/switch thing is the fix. I have a tack shoved in the side of mine holding it perfectly in place, because I like my blinkers and don't feel like getting a new switch yet

My Cars
    '92 BMW 325i
    So I went back in found a blown wire under the driver's seat and fixed that. Tried again and nothing. Read a post on bimmerforums about 23 being a fuse that doesn't trip right.

I looked again, my 23 was fine, I pulled the fuse and swapped it anyways and bam this fixed it. Turns out when the older open top bmw fuses blow, they may not visibly blow OR they corrode and cut the power on their own.

Id love to post the hole burned through in my LCM and the charred plastic from the flare up, had it not fizzled out I would have had a fire in 3 spots in the car and no e36.

Check your trunk wires people, its a major safety hazard... MAJOR

My Cars
    1974 BMW 2002
    Most of the time a radio is powered from a wire running into the back of the hazard switch. If you went this route, check all the hazard connections as well as (like others mentioned) the functioning of the Hazard switch. Even if the radio doesn't pull its power from a hazard wire, turn signals will screw up if the hazard switch is bad. Sad to say, a new hazard switch costs about 60 bucks. I think I saw one at Parts Geek online. I had a non-working one, as well as another, and I took both of them apart and combined parts and made one that works. Good luck. This setup is such an Achilles Heel in an otherwise amazingly engineered car.

My Cars
    1974 BMW 2002
    My blinkers keep going out as well. Replacing a fuse is useless, blows as soon as I start up and test the blinkers. Hazards work, but had an issue where blinkers didn't work before, stuck a dime in the hazard button to keep it down, then blinkers worked fine. Got a new hazard switch requiring no dime, & everything worked till a couple of weeks ago. Burned out turn signal lights in back, replaced bulbs, but fuse 6 (top left in 02 fuse box under hood) keeps blowing. Neither left or right blinkers work. Am suspicious of unneeded (?) fuses, hazards and all those relays going to it. I have no radio, orig. a/c doesn't work, heater same deal. Can fuses for those be removed safely or should all fuses stay in the box if the components are no longer wired up? Sounds like trunk area wiring may be the culprit. Lost a good mechanic over this. Thx for any "leads."

1974 2002 auto, no air, no radio, no heat, daily driver! Rebuilt engine 2 years ago, replaced 38 Weber with 32/36, runs great.
    Last edited by Clonemy02; 02-24-2013 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Revised info