Thread: IE subframe bushing time estimate

My Cars
    Evo IX, WRX, GSX-R 1000 K6

IE subframe bushing time estimate

Santa Claus (me) was good to me this year. I now have sitting in my garage: Single Adjustable Koni's, H&R sports, Ireland Engineering subframe bushings, a Bently service manual, and a stainless steel clutch line in estroil blue... to match my interior of course. Ya know!

So anyways, I was hoping to get a feel from you guys as to how long each thing took you to install the first time on your Roady or Coupe? I am very limited with spare time due to my helo job so I need to spread load the installation of the parts. I'd hate to get deep into the subframe removal and get stuck without a car to get to work. So how long did it take you guys?

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    My time estimates, based on actual installations will probably be of no use to you...

The first set of Ireland Subframe Bushings I installed took me about twelve (12) minutes. My subframe assembly was laying on my dealer's floor when I walked in with the bushings and proper tools in hand

A typical installation, for me, takes about one (1) hour; but I already have the exhaust, swaybar and differential removed. The subframe comes off the studs much easier (sometimes it just drops off them) when the __offset__ weight of the differential is removed. Removing the differential is done as part of the other work I do, not a task I would recommend if only doing the Ireland bushings

My Cars
    Thanks Senor Randy. I went hog wild with my other new toy... my pro grade Crafstman grinder. I had to destroy the rust that formed due to my subframe tear. After blasting away all the stuff that was intended to "cover up" the weld, I'm thinking that this is a job best left for a guy like you. Hopefully I'll be headed your way soon.

1 hour... I don't think so. My air compressor isn't big enough to keep the impact wrench running full tilt. That, and I'm still a little grasshopper. I need to gain wisdom.
    Last edited by ///Mmelmann; 01-02-2006 at 09:56 PM.

My Cars
    S52 M Roadster, WRX,
    When I did mine, I was in Randy's garage following instructions, but I turned the wrenches. I would say it was about 2-3 hours with a pizza break in the middle.... is that about right Randy?
    -Jason

Weekend Car

'99 Boston Green M Roadster - intake, M50 manifold, schrick cams, magnaflow exhaust, TCK D/A Coilovers 500/600, RD front bar, ltw flywheel & clutch, harddog rollbar, schroth harnesses, zionsville radiator, S54 oil cooler, stewart pump, etc ..... ~245rwhp

My Cars
    01 M Coupe SB 07 4Runner (work car)
    I did my subframe bushings in about 4 hours without the tool. I used the torch method!!!

The stainless clutch line took me longer, I recommend spaying the connectors with PB Blaster at least a day before. I still stripped one of the connectors while using a the crow foot wrench. What a difference though!
    2001 Saphire Black M Coupe
    IE Subframe Bushings, UUC TME Reds, Goodridge SS Brake lines, UUC SS Clutch line, Sport Mode, Strong Strut STB, Toyo T1-R (street) 235/255 Toyo RA-1 (track) 255^2 , Eisenman 76mm Sport Exhaust, TCK D/A 450/500#,TCK CP, 3.46 Diff, Autopower Roll Bar, Recaro PPs, Schroth Profi III 6 pt, UUC Stg II LWF, E34 Clutch, Magnaflow X Pipe, Delrin CABs, IE rear toe/camber adjusters

My Cars
    I don't have a "pizza break". Is that a special BMW tool? How does it go in the middle? Middle of what?

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by JBgotM
    When I did mine, I was in Randy's garage following instructions, but I turned the wrenches. I would say it was about 2-3 hours with a pizza break in the middle.... is that about right Randy?
    Yep, two people = two hours; three people = three hours...

Best advice is to not get too much help.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    If you have not done one before, you will go slower. Assuming no issues with removing the bushing from the carrier, it will take 4 or 5 hours. It is a simple job, but there are a few tricks to be sure you watch for. When dropping the carrier off the studs, be sure it stays square or it will wedge itself and make it difficult to pull off or push on. There is a home made tool that works pretty well for pulling the OEM bushing out of the carrier. A number of persons who post on this board have one and may be willing to share or sell since they are not much use after the swap is complete. I produced 8 tools and sent them all over the US. Maybe someone will see and offer.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose

My Cars
    I think that I am going to light them on fire and do a little gij around them.

My Cars
    Dinan S2 Coupe, 996 GT3
    I have done a couple of pairs and I would say that it would take a person with decent mechanical skills and the proper tools about 3 hours assuming the proper tools are on hand. Have fun!

BTW, It is always a good time to do the exhaust, diff and rear suspension at the same time as it saves a ton of time!
    '02 Steel Grey/Black M Coupe

Mods....
    Engine/Drivetrain: Dinan Exhaust, Throttle Boddies, MAF, CIA, Stage 4M Software, Sport Mode, 3.73 LSD
    Suspension: Dinan Swaybars, Springs, Shocks, Strut Brace, IE Subframe Bushings
    Interior: E46 Aluminum Pedals/Dead Pedal, Leather Z Chrome Bits, Leather Z Extended Leather Package Bits, Defrost Relocated, Footwell Lights, Lighted Sunroof Switch
    Exterior: AC Schnitzer Flippers, Wing, Z8 Nozzles, Clear Markers, Shinny New Roadstars(I love those wheels)
    Misc: Toyo T1Rs 235/255, UUC Clutch Line, Carbon Fiber Engine Cover, V1 Hardwire
    Coming Very Soon: SS Brake Lines, Ate Super Blue, Euro Floating Rotors, Axxis Ultimates, IE Tranny Mount Bushings, SuperSprint headers/Cat Delete
    Coming Not So Soon: 6 Speed Conversion, Trip to Randy

My Cars
    FX 35
    Quote Originally Posted by ///Mmelmann
    I think that I am going to light them on fire and do a little gij around them.

~Matt

My Cars
    2001 BMW S54 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Purv944

dude, that is nuts!
    2001 BMW M Coupe
    Titanium Silver -- Laguna Seca Leather
    Boston Acoustics/PhoenixGold/Audioquest
    BBS RKII's/15mmRogueSpacers
    LeatherZ MarkII/LeatherZ Chrome Illuminated Shift/ChromeHandles

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe
    So you're looking at somewhere between 12 minutes and 25 hours. have fun!

My Cars
    M-Slowdster among others...

My Cars
    FX 35
    ^^Hahaha yes!!!

I halfway wanted to use the torch more than anything. Fire=fun.
    ~Matt

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothsix
    So you're looking at somewhere between 12 minutes and 25 hours. have fun!
    I'm looking at a month ago is what I'm looking at. He he.