Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: C43 vs. C33

My Cars
    98 M3, 06 M5

C43 vs. C33

I tried searching, but maybe my search query is not good? What i'm trying to figure out is what are the major differences between the two and why the c43 is favored over the C33. I currently have the HK system in my 98 m3 with the c33 head unit.

Any input?

My Cars
    98 M3, 06 M5

My Cars
    911 GT3
    Copied and pasted from the link above...

E36 3 Series
    Read the E34 section first to understand the amplifier/crossover design,
    and wiring modifications necessary to add an aftermarket Head Unit. Chris

The Problem
    The original sound system installed in the E36 3 Series was widely condemned for providing
    poor quality sound. It tended to have screechy highs; A midrange that was dynamically compressed
    and lacked warmth; and of course extremely poor Bass with no real power.

Some of these complaints were due to the earlier radio's poor high frequency response,
    which was attenuated to mask electrical noise problems that were apparent at higher frequencies.
    It also didn't have enough output voltage to adequately drive the external amplifier. Later models,
    including those with CD (C43 or CD43), were vastly improved to address these shortcomings,
    and in many cases performed as well as aftermarket units. It doesn't make a lot of sense to change
    these improved models, as they perform quite well. But if you have an early model head unit (C33),
    you'll benefit with a head unit from a newer model or an aftermarket system.

Reading the notes below, you'll become confused as you read contradicting opinions. But if you
    remember the update made to the head unit, it helps explain peoples different opinions. This is
    especially true with regard to the standard Nokia 10 speaker system, which many felt were fine,
    except for the poor Bass and Screechy highs. The screechy highs could be improved by replacing
    the cheap bipolar electrolytic capacitors with same voltage and value polypropylene capacitors,
    which gives a much smoother, pleasant and more listenable high frequency sound. This is a
    common practice amongst car sound installers. One installer I talked to said he never used
    expensive electronic crossovers because the polypropylene caps gave just as good a sound.
    The difference between these crossovers is the electronic version gives a cleaner 12dB/octave
    rolloff, whereas the capacitor only provides a 6dB/octave rolloff. Professionals believe the higher
    rolloff provides a cleaner sound by better separating the frequencies going to the woofer and tweeter.
    These capacitors are usually mounted on a support pole on the main woofer. More can be
    found on replacing capacitors at http://www.civil.ubc.ca/home/bohnen/adventures1.html

Bass could be improved by adding a subwoofer, driven from the line going to one of the rear
    speakers. Possible solutions include bass tubes or enclosed boxes with an 8", 10" or 12" subs,
    depending on how much bass you like.

Of course, these were cheap solutions people found to improve the factory sound without
    spending big money. If you wanted a really good system, you had to buy a new head unit and
    fit high quality speakers, which necessitated a new amplifier because of the factory design was
    only compatible with the Nokia Speakers that used a crossover built into the amp.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Factory Head Unit Deficiencies
    To: e36m3@Mailing-List.net
    Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 12:29:45 -0800
    Subject: [E36M3] RE:

I am forwarding this I think the list can benefit from this information. I have been
    banging my head against the wall looking for the best solution in regards to a
    stereo upgrade to my 95 M3. This is the response I received from the horses mouth.

Robert,

Yes, I do know quite a bit about the E36 audio system, as I helped to design it
    while working as the Product Development Manager for BMW until recently.
    With regards to upgrading your audio system, the weakest link is currently
    (and unfortunately) the radio. In your 1995 E36, you have what is called the
    C33 platform, identifiable by having weather band feature.

Since then, the unit has been upgraded 2 more times; the C43 and more recently
    the CD43. Although the C43 (still a cassette unit) is somewhat better than your C33,
    the CD43 is substantially better. The CD43, however, is an in-dash CD player.
    The major difference being the output voltage, which better drives the existing
    amplifier. All of these units will work in your vehicle with no modifications whatsoever;
    the power harness, everything, are direct plug-ins.

What you currently experience is a low voltage output from the C33, which does not
    adequately drive (take advantage) of the on-board, external amplifier. Your unit also
    has a limiter on the upper frequency range in the FM mode, meaning that when you
    play FM, you never hear anything above 9 or 10K. This was because there was
    inherent noise from the engine that could not be attenuated, so the radio had to be
    attenuated. This hurt sound quality in the upper frequency range (sounds muffled).

I eliminated the limiter altogether on both C43/CD43 platforms for US cars.
    Now the Radio drives the amp better and you can enjoy higher frequency output.
    These units will work w/o any noise problems in your car.

So basically, what I am suggesting, since you want to retain cosmetic-integration and
    don't care for cassette, is to get your hands on the CD43. This will also control
    your CD Changer, if you have one.

Now, of coarse, if you are planning a full blown system with amps, etc, then we need
    to reconsider my suggestion, since this unit still does not have RCA (line-level)
    audio outputs, necessary in driving aftermarket amps (properly).

Let me know what you think

My Cars
    E36 BMW M3
    I have the C43 upgraded from C33. It sounds better up high, it's more clear. I don't know how to explain it but if you can get one for cheap, I'd say do it.

1998 BMW M3/4 | Koni Adjustable | H&R Race | X-Brace | Bosch Ellipsoids | DDE Lightning Titanium CWP | XTEC 5000K HID | Conforti CAI | Remus Racing Exhaust | MaxVelocity GTR Lip | 18" Black AC Schnitzer Type II | Brembo Slotted Rotors | Hawk HPS pads | Stoptech SS Brakelines | Nakamichi CD-300 | Tang Band Subs | Focal Polyglass | 2 x MB Quart RAA2400 | Project Technik.com
    M3 SEDAN CLUB #31

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    Hi all - do I have the C33 or the C43 head unit? can you tell just by pictures? if I have C33... is it worth upgrading to C43 head unit to improve sound quality?

20221114_211543.jpg

My Cars
    e39, e36, Porsche 944
    Quote Originally Posted by bonoz View Post
    Hi all - do I have the C33 or the C43 head unit? can you tell just by pictures? if I have C33... is it worth upgrading to C43 head unit to improve sound quality?

20221114_211543.jpg
    this is c33 (no RDS button in the lower left corner, no "BMW professional" on the tape door, MODE instead of the note on the button in the middle of + and - buttons above the volume control). C43 will improve sound quality overall, but if your stereo sounds _really_ bad, your problem may be something different... C33 sounds pretty good for the stock stereo, and are fine for cars that are not equipped with hi-fi or harman kardon, I would say.