Thread: Started my car after a few days of not driving it

My Cars
    90 325iS50, 98 Jetta :-/

Started my car after a few days of not driving it

The car started right up, but then started idling rough, and felt like the entire car was shaking for a second. It stopped, and seems ok now, but it really bothered me. Another thing is it seemed like there was a lot of oil. About a week ago I drained it and changed the filter, and put in roughly 4 and a half quarts of oil, so I don't think there actually is. I drained it hot, and it drained until it stopped dripping after wiping it off several times as the last bit came out. A belt squeaks rather annoyingly, but it's always done that. I should probably have that checked, but don't have the money to foot the bill since I don't really have time to do it myself. Any help is appreciated! Thanks guys.

Drew

P.S. I checked the oil right after I started it and it did the wierd shake, and afterward it seemed that the oil level was ok. Wierd? Or is it just me...

My Cars
    86 325es fixing, new car 1993 cadillac seville
    THe oil level should have nothing to do with the car shaking.

But did you pull the dip stick with the car running.These cars respond quickly to a vacume leak and when you pull the dip stick or oil cap you cause a vacume leak and the car will idle bad and shake.

All e30's do this so its best to check your oil on a cold motor not runing.

My Cars
    No, it shook right when I started it up. I shut the car off and just looked around to see if I could find anything obvious, and just thought I would check the oil. It seemed like the level was high on the dipstick. After checking it again today, it seems ok. Started right up fine, I guess it was just not liking sitting still.

My Cars
    1989 325iS
    my car is sitting in the garage, i start it every week or so - sounds like a boat... but it evens out after a few mins.

My Cars
    90 E30 M3 S50
    was the car on flat ground when you checked the oil?

My Cars
    1991 Alpine white 325ix
    might not have had the dipstick in all the way but my car never died due to the dipstick. one time i forgot to put the oil cap back on after topping it off and it did the same thing you just described when i started it.

My Cars
    I think lachssilberbim hit it on the head. It basically sounded like a boat, and just seemed a little rough.

X2theZ3, good call. It was on a slight hill that I didn't even think about. Maybe the oil just moved a wierd way? I don't know, I'm no car expert yet.

Thanks guys.

Drew

My Cars
    '87 Shelby, '02 ZX2
    Mine does that too if I park it for a while- sounds like it's running on 3 cyliners, then 4, then 5 . . . usually takes a couple minutes before it totally evens out. It's been happening for three years, and it's never concerned me much.
    Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. (Romans 5:1)

My Cars
    E36Eurospec|E30Track
    Quote Originally Posted by lachssilberbim
    my car is sitting in the garage, i start it every week or so - sounds like a boat... ter a few mins.
    best quote ever