Thread: Save me from making a mistake...

My Cars
    1988 M3, 2011 E90 M3

Save me from making a mistake...

There comes a point in time in owning a car that you just want to try something different. I have been toying with selling my car for about 6 months but have had a hard time actually doing it because I'm just not convinced that I would love another car any better. I've thought about an e46 M3 or even and e39 M5, but to be honest, reliability and potential problems have just scared me away. I would love to just have a car that is covered under warantee, but is basically trouble free. Better gas mileage would be nice, but I really don't drive too far from work and I don't use the M3 as a family car. I had thought about a Mini Cooper S, but I'm not to keen on the fwd and I would want it absolutely loaded. Then I found this....and it's local.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...QQcmdZViewItem

I almost bought this thing today. My wife even liked it (she hates my M3). If this thing had heated seats and the new english leather interior, it probably would have been a done deal. I love my e36 but I just can't stop thinking about this MCS JCW. If I were not building a house, I'd buy it and keep both. As the title says, give me some support here and save me from making a potential mistake on a car I've never even driven. TIA
    Justin Power

1988 BMW ///M3
    Henna Red / Black

1990 BMW ///M3 race car
    Diamond Black / Black

1998 BMW ///M3 Sedan
    Alpine White III / Mulberry

My Cars
    Lots.
    I drive a 2002 Mini Cooper S whenever I am home from school, and it honestly isnt in the same realm as my modded e36 m3. Yes, its fun to throw around, Yes, the supercharger has a fun whine to it and the car moves along pretty well.

That said, it just doesnt feel the same in corners, nor when you stomp on the gas pedal. Given the choice, especially as it seems you would be taking a slight loss to trade to the Mini, I would stick with the m3.

I know the JCW is better than my stock Cooper S, but I have driven a JCW (which had H&R coilovers, Brembo BBK, Sways, Boost Bump, etc, etc, etc) and I only liked it marginally better than my Cooper S....definitely not better than my M3.

Drive the mini if it is available to you...you will be shocked at how much better your e36 performs/feels.
    915whp '98 M3 Sedan /// 37k Mile '95 M3

My Cars
    '05 Ram 1500
    M3 > MC

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3/4/5, 06 C55
    40 grand fot a Mini?? Holy smokes! I didn't know they got that high.

As for your car, I've always drooled over it. And i still haven't seen it in person. But I understand the itch for a new car.

I certainly wouldn't try to talk you out of it. As long as that car is going to fill your specific needs. If not, you will definitely regret it.

Have you driven an MCS with the works kit. That might just clinch the sale for you. Or vice versa.

-R-

My Cars
    C63 AMG 507 Edition
    Ugh, why? The rear seat is pretty much useless, theres barely a trunk (but I guess you could use the unusable rear seat for trunk space), and they are pretty slow without a lot of work.

They are, however, amazingly easy to drive and handle extremely good. Still, it just doesnt float my boat. Be careful with this decision.

My Cars
    99M3Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin(OKC)
    Then I found this....and it's local. If this thing had heated seats and the new english leather interior, it probably would have been a done deal. I love my e36 but I just can't stop thinking about this MCS JCW. If I were not building a house, I'd buy it and keep both. As the title says, give me some support here and save me from making a potential mistake on a car I've never even driven. TIA
    It's local - go drive it. What is english leather interior? Can probably retro in heated seats if you want it. Good luck looks like a nice car.

My Cars
    996, 914, X5
    i understand your itch....i have had a different car almost every 2 years. but i would not trade for a mini. you have almost the best there is. you would only be taking a step down unless you got an E46 M3, Porsche 997, or Ferrari.

My Cars
    318IC, X5, 996,Ridgeline
    just say no...
    I have had the itch for something a little newer, different, and everytime I go and drive the one I am looking at I realize why I like my little bmw soooo much.
    Go put some miles on a MC and read up on how they are doing in the longer term test fleets.
    Best of Luck. We can not all be like Jay Leno and keep every car we have ever had, some day I will have to part with my car too.

My Cars
    95 ///M 02 F4i
    I know how you feel...

this is how I felt about my ex girlfriend.. she was being kind of a bitch...n I wanted to leave her for someone else.. and I eventually did.. and well now that I don't have her anymore... I kinda miss her.

My guess is that you will regret your decision unless you leave the ///M for something you truely like and will enjoy.. since you can two time on a car personally I would go find a mini to give a thrashing to first so you can see if it will suit ya.

good luck
    Bring MoneyWith you.

My Cars
    2019 M4 CS; 2013 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by SQ Bimmer
    M3 > MC
    seconded

My Cars
    C63 AMG 507 Edition
    Quote Originally Posted by toplessinokc
    just say no...
    I have had the itch for something a little newer, different, and everytime I go and drive the one I am looking at I realize why I like my little bmw soooo much.
    Go put some miles on a MC and read up on how they are doing in the longer term test fleets.
    Best of Luck. We can not all be like Jay Leno and keep every car we have ever had, some day I will have to part with my car too.

Yea, I love my 318 too. Wait, what?

My Cars
    M3
    i have driven my dads mini S (commuter car) decent car, SC sounds cool, but still it is FWD, and did i mention FWD? lol well i must say it was a fun little car to zip around everywhere, but not in the twisties...the works body kit does look pretty good, my dad had the electric popsicle blu color too with the works kit and BBS RK's, it looked great, but it lasted for about 7 mo due to small cargo space and seats that were flat out uncomfortable, no side bolsters. If you do test it out, check out the trunk...it is mini like the name
    i did like the 6 speed
    WOOOO HOOOO

My Cars
    98 cosmos M3, 98 332
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMansGTS
    seconded
    +3

-chris

Mustaches For Kids 2008
    www.m4knc.com

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 1966 Mustang 2+2 - 2003 Z4
    I've driven a JCW Mini S, I was underwhelmed with it, I certainly wouldn't give up the Leibmobile for one. If you want a SCed hatchback, find a low mileage '99 318ti and a DASC, my wife's 318ti has 201rwhp now and is way more fun than any Mini that I've ever driven.
    www.understeer.com
    Your source for:
    Stromung|UUC|Eurosport|Hawk|H&R|Koni|Apexcone HID|Short Shift Kits|and more
    UUC Evo3 SSKs are IN STOCK - free 2-Day shipping!