Thread: Opinions on this 89' 535i 5-speed

My Cars
    2.5Le36

Opinions on this 89' 535i 5-speed

I have been out of my 3 series for long enough and the time has come to get into another bimmer. 535i has been at the top of my list for some time, unless I manage to find a good deal on a 95 540i 6-speed. I was going to look at one on Sunday after getting back from a long trip only to find out someone purchased it Saturday after being on the market 3 months. Today I found this one on cars.com within about 60 miles of where I live for a reasonable price, I have never been a big fan of red but I must say it looks great on the e34. I am going to call and get some further info about maintenance and condition but wanted to know what some experts thought.

LINK

My Cars
    92 525i 5spd
    Heh, if I hadnt bought my 92 525i a few weeks ago, I might be considering that. Hellrot is a great color, and the 535's are extremely reliable.

My Cars
    2.5Le36
    Got a little bit more info from the owner. Car is from Texas so rust should not be an issue. Few maintenance records but has 4yr old clutch, brand new steering box, radiator 5yrs, regular service of fluids. No accidents while he was owner but having the VIN emailed to me so I can check out the carfax. The only real aftermarket parts are the headlights, says they are xenon but dont know about that? There is a dent on the drivers door but said it is not creased or cracked so I will have to check that out. Said he has another interested buyer so I may try to see it tomorrow.

My Cars
    91 M5, Ferrari 308
    Looks like a great car! I really like the E34s in Hellrot. Great price too!

My Cars
    '98 528I, 04 Mini-cvt
    yup - Good stuff's that car is -

Red is not my favorite color either - but the 5 speed and the M30 engine would win me over anytime - assuming your old 3 series was an e30 with an M20 motor in it - the M30 is twice as bullet proof as an M20 - maybe 3 times as much - with regular maintenance you absolutely cannot kill them - they just keep going and going - kind of like the energizer bunny. Only not annoying.
    M6 - fixing it I don't

- Gun Control is being able to hit your target -

My Cars
    2.5Le36

Carfax

Ran the carfax and it came back clean so I hope to get there today to check it out.

Good News -- Vehicle qualifies for the CARFAX Buyback Guarantee!
    No severe problems (major accidents, fire, flood damage, major odometer problems or lemon history) were ever reported by a Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) for this 1989 BMW 535I (WBAHD1318K2173531). If you find that any of these severe problems were reported by a DMV and not included in this report, CARFAX will buy this vehicle back.

You must register at www.CARFAX.com to activate this free guarantee!

CARFAX Talking CarTM
    The story of this 1989 BMW 535I (WBAHD1318K2173531) according to our interpretation of the information reported to CARFAX:
    - This sedan has had 2 owners and was owned in Texas. The first title for this sedan was reported to CARFAX by a Texas DMV in 1989.
    - It has had no minor or moderate accidents reported to CARFAX.
    - It has had no DMV-reported total loss events, like a major accident, fire or flood.
    - It has not been reported by a DMV as having an Exceeds Mechanical Limits or Not Actual Mileage title.
    - It has a consistent mileage history with no indication of an odometer rollback. It was driven an average of 8,395 miles per year, which is lower than the industry average of 15,000. The last odometer reading, reported on 03/17/2005, was 136,973 miles.
    - It was not reported by a DMV as a Manufacturer Buyback or LEMON.
    - Go to the Detailed Vehicle History for the complete history and a glossary of terms.
    Report Summary

1. ACCIDENT CHECK
    Total Loss Check No Severe Accidents Reported by a DMV - Buyback Guarantee!
    Other Accident Indicators No Accident Indicators Reported

2. MILEAGE ACCURACY CHECK
    Truth-In-Mileage Check No Odometer Problems Reported by a DMV - Buyback Guarantee!
    Odometer Rollback Check No Potential Odometer Rollback Found
    Mileage Consistency Check No Inconsistent Odometer Reading Found

3. LEMON CHECKŪ
    No Mfr. Buyback Reported by a DMV - Buyback Guarantee!

4. OWNERSHIP CHECK
    Number of Owners 2 Estimated Owner(s)
    Type of Owners Checked 8 Types of Vehicle Registrations

5. RECALL CHECK
    BMW Does Not Report Recalls to CARFAX

6. WARRANTY CHECK
    No Data Reported to CARFAX
    DETAILED VEHICLE HISTORY 15 HISTORY RECORDS REPORTED
    Tell us what you know about this vehicle

My Cars
    911 GT3, E30 M3
    That thing is SUPER RARE! Its got
    Zinon lights

Looks like a great car for the price.
    Paint the lower trim, drop it,add some nice wheels, and you are set!
    [B]
    [center]

My Cars
    1990 535iM, 1991 M5
    Obviously doesn't have xenons (or should I say zinons), but after owning my car for a few months, I can say that looks like it would be a great car. I just hit 170,000 miles and still going strong (especially above 4,000 rpms ).

- JK
    1990 Islandgrun 535iM Sedan "Natalya"
    Euro lights + trim | Eibach/Bilstein | BBS RC090 17x8 | EAT Chip | Port + Polish | IE 284 Cam | Built valvetrain

My Cars
    A Beamer & a Bentley
    I think it looks great. Just like you, not a great fan of the color (personal choice), but a lot more positives. Great price too.