Thread: high beam issue - High Beam Relay question with pics

My Cars
    '09 Mini Cooper

Question high beam issue - High Beam Relay question with pics

when i pull the stalk to activate the high beam(pull and hold), the high beam does NOT come on, but the blue high beam indicator in the dash comes on. The low beam stays on.

when i push the stalk to turn the high beam to stay on, the low beam goes OFF, the blue high beam indicator does NOT come on.

and also, sometimes the low beam does not come on when i turn the switch to ON position, have to turn OFF and ON a cpl of times for the low beams to come on.

i recently upgraded to Depo with 5K HIDs if that matters.

I was gonna check for the relay as some of my texas buddies advised.

1st pic from manual showing fuse box with relay positions

2nd pic - photo of my fuse box

3rd pic - close up of the relay and place where high beam relay shud be there

last pic - from manual with fuse box diagram for 95 E36.

so, am i missing the high beam relay or is everyone's fuse box like this with high beam relay missing in the position that manual shows.
    sum1 pls help me out
    Last edited by Rahul325; 12-17-2005 at 05:33 PM.

My Cars
    --97 SC'd ///M3--04 ///M3 VERT--07 ESCALADE--
    your box is fine, you are not missing anything.
    did you check the stalk and the connector?
    your light switch is most likely defective.

-zkw- -hella- -bosch- -depo- -prolumen- -kwd- -bbs- -predator chromium- -predator ice- -simota- -ecis-

//-install guides-//-total lighting group buy-//-zkw group buy-// -exhaust group buy-//-ellipsoids+hid group buy-//-led tails group buy-//

My Cars
    '09 Mini Cooper
    thnx Habbie
    i looked at removing the stalk, looks like it is better handled by a professional, i have got a new switch, will replace and see if it fixes the issue.

My Cars
    01 540i/6,02M5,99M3,72E3
    You have all the relays, bud id check the high beam relay and make sure it hasent failed, at least before tearing apart the stock. Id guess the stock is probably fine seeing as your indicator is coming on when you switch it.

My Cars
    e30/36/46 325/M3/330
    Sounds like a wiring issue, I know people have a lot of trouble with the depos. What I would do is pull the wiring harness off the headlights. Using a voltmeter and grounding against chassis, have someone flip the highbeams, and see if one of the wires is getting 12v with the stalk. If the light is lighting up, it doesn't sound like a switch issue, I wouldn't go to the mechanic right away.

Quote Originally Posted by dallasfan824
    TC does not want ghey hookers you silly.

My Cars
    01 540i/6,02M5,99M3,72E3
    Quote Originally Posted by TC535i
    Sounds like a wiring issue, I know people have a lot of trouble with the depos. What I would do is pull the wiring harness off the headlights. Using a voltmeter and grounding against chassis, have someone flip the highbeams, and see if one of the wires is getting 12v with the stalk. If the light is lighting up, it doesn't sound like a switch issue, I wouldn't go to the mechanic right away.
    This is an excellent insight. I bet you put the wrong wire on the wrong pin. DO what this guy said.

My Cars
    '09 Mini Cooper
    thnx a lot guys !!!! i will try it.

as usual bfc is awesome !!!!! u guys rock

My Cars
    01 540i/6,02M5,99M3,72E3
    i agree this place is kick ass.

My Cars
    1996 328is
    your box is fine, you are not missing anything.
    Can someone address why in his photos, the high beam relay appears to be missing. I have the same issue, the high beam relay in my '96 328is isn't where the Bentley manual says it is, so I have no idea where it is, but more importantly would like to know why the book says it's there when it isn't.

My Cars
    6/96 318is
    The reason Bentley doesn't mention the variance is probably because the BMW NA ETMs don't mention it. The reason the ETMs don't mention it is because they are secondary sources derived from some of the drawings used to build the car.

Your high beam relay could be mounted to a white nylon carrier, that probably also holds a few other relays and a fuse, underneath the dash left of the steering column. Mine was.
    Last edited by johnf; 11-25-2006 at 07:10 AM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Sedan
    My high beam relay is also underneath the dash left of the steering column. My question: How the heck to you remove it? I have the instrument cluster out because it looked like the only way - still not room to spread the relay clips! Arg!

My Cars
    6/96 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by martin1997m3 View Post
    My high beam relay is also underneath the dash left of the steering column. My question: How the heck to you remove it?...
    It gets easier if you first lower the whitish nylon carrier that the relay and neighbors are clipped into.

At the back middle of the carrier, there is a flat, broad hook that locks the carrier under the dash. If you stick a flat blade up back there (I often use a Swiss army knife), and press it forward or aft (I think forward(??), but it has been a while), you can then slide down the carrier that holds the relay and neighbors.