Thread: Need instructions on how to install ellips with xenons

Need instructions on how to install ellips with xenons

Just received my ellips with xenons from SPP today I was hoping somone has detailed instructions, with pics, on the correct installation. Thanks in advance.

John

My Cars
    Spec E30, 997 Turbo, F80

Heres the Install for the

Ellipsoid part of your retrofit. As for the Xenon part I can help
    http://www.bavauto.com/inst/EuropeanHeadLight.pdf
    Damion Moses
    Spec E46 #620

Thanks for the reply

Those BavAuto instructions are great. Now, what other info do I need to know / instructions to follow to successfully install the xenons as well. THanks Qwick!

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    try not to turn the plastic adjustment holes.

be really careful with the bolts located at the bottom of the lamp housing closest to the center of the car... those are a royal pain in the arse.

when installing the new lights, don't let them rest on the body of the car... there should be a little bit of clearance on the bottom sides and top. make sure you check the alignment on the sides or else the corner lights will not fit propely.

do it somewhere you have plenty of light... you'll need all of it.

don't forget to properly aim the headlights.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    '96 Euro E36 M3 3.2L Cabrio
    I don't know what you get as far as Xenons go from SPP but what I do know is that even the Xenon HID kits that are 'plug and play' are not 'plug and play' at all.

All that 'plug and play' means is that the Xenon bulb (which has a totally different type of base to a normal halogen bulb) has been modified so it will fit where the old halogen bulb comes out without you needing to modify the housing in any way - some are better at this than others. The good ones fit well and, most importantly, are done in such a way that the Xenon arc capsule in the HID bulb is in the same position that the old halogen filament was - if it isn't then you get a crap beam pattern.

Once you've got the bulb fitted that's only half the story - Xenon bulbs have 2 thick high tension (high voltage) wires coming off them which are connected to an electronic control box (called a ballast) slightly bigger than a cigarette packet. There's one for each bulb and you'll have to find a convenient location for them not far from the bulb - this part is IMHO a total b*tch and the hardest part of the install. I mounted my ballasts inside the front bumper (see link to my install at the bottom) - you need to remove the headlights to do this but since you're fitting new lights anyway that shouldn't be a problem.

The other problem I found is that there's a hard plastic cover over the back of the light through which you're going to have to pass the out the HT leads from the Xenon bulb and the halogen bulb connector lead. Because there's no other 'hole' in the housing I had to cut a hole in the plastic cover to do this.

Then, if your HID kit is not that good the next part is actually easier - you just connect the old halogen bulb power connector to the power input of the ballast. The better kits use a relay and the ballasts take power directly from the battery so you have to find a way to hook up to the battery for each ballast.

Once that's all hooked up your done.

I haven't given you a step by step guide, just a couple of things to be aware of - HID installs aren't as easy as everyone makes out!

I've got a Euro car and it actually has H7 reflectors into which I installed a HID kit from Autolamps Online but most of the things I said should be the same.

Here's a link to a few pics of my install. They're not great but you'll get the idea about the HID wires and the ballast placement. Allthough the colour doesn't look great in these pics I can assure you that it looks totally purple/white like the real thing.

Hope this helps you out!

Michael.