Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The "name your christmas break car projects" thread

My Cars
    98 alpine m3, 94 bos

The "name your christmas break car projects" thread

Well I am in medical school and have no time to work on my car except between sessions....so needless to say I just bought a ton of stuff to work on during my 13 day break coming up (about 7-8 of which will be free to work on the car).

Copied directly from my excel spreadsheet (that I used to make sure I got all the parts and from the best/cheapest vendors):

Front suspension: Strut mounts
    RTAB's
    Steering rack swap (m coupe)
    Kicker Sub
    Xtant Amp
    Rear decks
    Antenna
    Oil Change
    Door Panels
    O2 sensor
    Ventilation hoses/connectors
    Pulleys
    Fuel Filter
    Wiper Blades
    Clutch Stop
    SSK (just the m3 one that reduces throws ~ 30%...includes m3 selector rod + all sorts of new bushings, washers, circlips, etc)
    Tires

Should keep me pretty busy.

What about yall? Plans for your breaks from school/work?

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1992 Saab 900, 2003 WRX
    Ha, this should be interesting...

Rear end - bushings, mounts, etc...
    Steering wheel
    Rear diffuser
    Fine tune side exhaust
    strip interior
    replace OBC with guages/switches
    LTW wing

My Cars
    2007 335i Coupe
    Finish my TSX retro... too cold to drive my m3 right now anyway, so it doesn't get much attention
    2007 335i Space Grey Coupe
    2009 128i Alpine Weiss

My Cars
    01 540i/6,02M5,99M3,72E3
    Quote Originally Posted by sben
    Well I am in medical school and have no time to work on my car except between sessions....so needless to say I just bought a ton of stuff to work on during my 13 day break coming up (about 7-8 of which will be free to work on the car).

Copied directly from my excel spreadsheet (that I used to make sure I got all the parts and from the best/cheapest vendors):

Front suspension: Strut mounts
    RTAB's
    Steering rack swap (m coupe)
    Kicker Sub
    Xtant Amp
    Rear decks
    Antenna
    Oil Change
    Door Panels
    O2 sensor
    Ventilation hoses/connectors
    Pulleys
    Fuel Filter
    Wiper Blades
    Clutch Stop
    SSK (just the m3 one that reduces throws ~ 30%...includes m3 selector rod + all sorts of new bushings, washers, circlips, etc)
    Tires

Should keep me pretty busy.

What about yall? Plans for your breaks from school/work?
    Wow you do have a lot to do. The suspension stuff will be the worst on that list but other than that shouldent be to bad.

I did all the suspension stuff just before break so I could drive home When I get home im putting in my new headlights the ZKW HID 5000k with predatords Thats pretty much my project for the x mas break and wiring them all into my alarm system so the predators fade on and off when the car is locked and unlocked and the HID's can be turned on with the remote from the alarm FOB. If you have any questions or need any help on those RTAB's or the front suspension at all shoot me a message.

My Cars
    '95 hellrot 325is
    wheel bearings
    belts
    guibo
    front m3 bumper mesh
    interior black conversion
    reupholstering my front seats myself, should be interesting!
    Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. --Seneca the Younger

My Cars
    01 540i/6,02M5,99M3,72E3
    Quote Originally Posted by nepaE36
    wheel bearings
    belts
    guibo
    front m3 bumper mesh
    interior black conversion
    reupholstering my front seats myself, should be interesting!
    Take pictures of your wheel bearing job and tell me all about it, How horrible it was etc. This is next up on my list. Are you doing all four or just the fronts or backs?

My Cars
    '95 hellrot 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by leedawg
    Take pictures of your wheel bearing job and tell me all about it, How horrible it was etc. This is next up on my list. Are you doing all four or just the fronts or backs?
    I plan on doing all four, but I'll be tackling the rears first... I'm probably going to break down and buy the special tool set to ease the pain, so if anyone's interested I'll be willing to rent the sucker out once I'm finished.
    Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. --Seneca the Younger

My Cars
    318ti, 330ti, 911S, Honda Element
    Retrofit e36 headlight washers.
    '95 330ti Club Sport w/sun roof delete, S50USB30, Schricks, 24# inj, BBTB, Conforti SW, Euro HFM, Samco Silicone Intake Boot, Euro oil cooler, JTD Cold Air Intake Duct, RE DMS exhaust, RE Tranny mounts, CF Valve Cover, LTW flywheel/Kevlar sprung hub clutch, RE SSK, 3.46 Finned LSD (M6) , M3 tranny, Brembos, RE Wheel Studs, SS brake/clutch lines, CF interior, Tilt Steering retrofit, 13.5 lb DynaBatt in rear, LED interior/footwell lights, 4500K ZKW HID, Headlight Aim Control, Rear fog light w/cluster indicator, BMW Traffic Pro/Alpine MP3-CD Changer, Staggered LTW wheels, '95 M3 steering rack, VIS CF Hood, M3 LTW Strut Bar, Aluminum M3 Coilover Front/M Coupe Rear suspension, Red LTW Motorsport Seatbelts, OEM Fire Extinguisher, Z8 Starter button, Auto dim rear view mirror w/Homelink, PDC, Rear Sun Shade, Euro Gauge Cluster w/oil temp/shift light , Headlight Washers, BMW MS Door Handles, CF Grills, French ZKW Fogs, Bimmer Mag 8/2007

My Cars
    01 540i/6,02M5,99M3,72E3
    I plan on doing all four, but I'll be tackling the rears first... I'm probably going to break down and buy the special tool set to ease the pain, so if anyone's interested I'll be willing to rent the sucker out once I'm finished.
    Like I said document it and tell me how bad it was Where you getting the speical tool? That place that sells all of them like the RTAB tool and such?

My Cars
    2018 GMC 2500
    Right now I have all this sitting in my computer room waiting to be installed:

Tranny fluid
    Diff fluid
    Meyle Control Arms
    Meyle Tie Rod assemblies
    Front Sway bar links
    LBAC bushings
    RSM's
    Front Brembo blanks
    Front BP sensor
    PBR Semi-Met pads
    2 liters of Super blue and homemade pressure bleader.(DIY coming if it works like it should)
    UUC SS brake lines
    92 suspension update kit
    Bag full of new nuts and bolts for the suspension

Waiting one these parts:

Sachs Stage 3 kit (Stuck in customs)
    RTAB's and GC shims
    Rear lower control arms
    Umpteen rear bushings
    Sunroof slide mechanism
    Sway bar bushings
    Rear sway reinforcement kit
    Bump stops
    Few other misc parts that I can't remember atm.

Still need to decide on which tires to get once I finish all this. Since it doesn't snow here in south Texas, I don't really need an all season tire. Trying to find a good summer tire with decent wet traction. This list should just about eat up the 2.5 weeks I'm taking off from work for Christmas. But Car should feel MUCH better when I'm done.

My Cars
    98 alpine m3, 94 bos
    Good lists yall!

DEFINITELY interested...but of course my next chance will be in the summer. Any details on the upholstery work you are doing? I'd be interested in finding more out about that. Is that a hobby of yours or are you just trying your hand in something new?

Leedawg, I'm jealous--I want HID's so bad. Right now I have inpros (which are much better than I expected, it was just a little more adventurous installing) with dim angel eyes.

Thanks for offering advice--I might take you up on that for the RTAB's especially. I have lots of experience with front suspension (steering rack and strut bearings better be easier than control arms )

Jester, we Texans are a hard-working people

My Cars
    '95 hellrot 325is
    Like I said document it and tell me how bad it was Where you getting the speical tool? That place that sells all of them like the RTAB tool and such?
    yep www.zdmak.com
    I'll be sure and take a lot of pictures... first I need to get some heat in my garage though, it's been negative temps at night here...

My Cars
    2018 GMC 2500
    I've done a front one before and it was really easy. Just an FYI...the easiest way to break the nut holding it on is to remove the emblem on your rim, mount the tire back on the car and lower it to the ground. Them brace the wheels so the car won't roll and pop it off. I used a 6' breaker bar and it came off with no problems this way.

My Cars
    01 540i/6,02M5,99M3,72E3
    Yeah tell me bout it I just did my front control arms they were a pain in the ass, but ive got to say the worst experince so far has been the RTAB's for me. I did a little write up on it though on how to do it without the special tools. Your best freind with any bushing job in my opinon is an air hammer with the flat head chisel on it. Best way to get the bushings out of the control arms or lolly pop and it dosent hurt the arm at all like sawing the bushings out with a sawsall. ITs also much faster.

My Cars
    2018 GMC 2500
    Jester, we Texans are a hard-working people
    Not that we want to be...just that Texas roads are harsh on our cars.

My Cars
    98 alpine m3, 94 bos
    Oh and jester, I'm doing RTAB's and GC shims too. I went ahead and bit the bullet and bought the rtab tools...figured I could sell them on the board when I'm done.

Anyway, I don't know what part of Houston you're in but I will be in College Station, so maybe we can meet up and knock these out.

My Cars
    01 540i/6,02M5,99M3,72E3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester4176
    I've done a front one before and it was really easy. Just an FYI...the easiest way to break the nut holding it on is to remove the emblem on your rim, mount the tire back on the car and lower it to the ground. Them brace the wheels so the car won't roll and pop it off. I used a 6' breaker bar and it came off with no problems this way.
    That does sound pretty easy, how much are new front bearings? where did you get them?

My Cars
    '95 hellrot 325is
    DEFINITELY interested...but of course my next chance will be in the summer. Any details on the upholstery work you are doing? I'd be interested in finding more out about that. Is that a hobby of yours or are you just trying your hand in something new?
    the leather on my front seats was very poorly cared for by the previous owner, and is essentially shot to hell now. I've never really cared for leather seats, so I'll be reupholstering them in microsuede/alcantara. I'm in the process of doing some how-to reading now, and I managed to acquire a used heavy duty sewing machine for practically nothing... When it comes down to it, i'll basically be pulling the old seat cover apart at the seams, tracing the pieces onto the new fabric, cutting and sewing the new stuff together. This is an entirely new project for me, so i'm definitely expecting some mistakes

My Cars
    2018 GMC 2500
    Oh and jester, I'm doing RTAB's and GC shims too. I went ahead and bit the bullet and bought the rtab tools...figured I could sell them on the board when I'm done.

Anyway, I don't know what part of Houston you're in but I will be in College Station, so maybe we can meet up and knock these out.
    I'm in Tomball. North Houston. You'll have to drive past here to get to College Station most likely. Wouldn't mind driving to my old stomping grounds up in CS, but I doubt my car would make it. 3 bald tires, 4 blown shocks, and a worn out suspension. Gets me the 14miles round trip to work everyday, so I don't push it beyond that. Thanks for the offer though.

College Station....now I have Freebirds and Layne's Chicken fingers on my mind. Damn you.

My Cars
    2018 GMC 2500
    That does sound pretty easy, how much are new front bearings? where did you get them?
    I bought them from the stealer for $175. Thats 2 months after I bought the car and didn't know about all the places online to get them. You can get them from Bavauto, or partsbin I would think.

My Cars
    01 540i/6,02M5,99M3,72E3
    Awsome for both the fronts was 175 right Hope that was both and not one ouch. LOL Thanks a lot aiight im off to take a final talk to you boys later.

My Cars
    98 alpine m3, 94 bos
    I'm in Tomball
    I'll spare you the car dealership commercial jokes

ah, hell

"Come see my paw paw in tombaaaaaaaaaaall texas!!"

Anyway, there's a small chance (~10%) that I will be driving through tomball early Tuesday, in which case I wouldn't mind stopping by and doing RTAB's at your place (not to invite myself over or anything...you probably have work anyway).

Of course if you can make it over to CS, the burritos are on me

My Cars
    98 alpine m3, 94 bos
    oh and leedawg, bimmerzone has wheel bearings for $42 apiece

These:
    http://img.eautopartscatalog.com/live/K800040064SKF.JPG

And you get free shipping on orders > $75

Only thing is, from what I vaguely remember you have to replace the hubs with the wheel bearings right? Or did I just make that up...

My Cars
    328is
    um... ok im commin home for christmas and i have a lot of stuff waiting in boxes that i ordered... i am in the same position as the person who started this thread, i am going to college and finally come home to get some work done

new 328is sport wheels + new tires
    ebrake shoes
    shoe spring kit
    metal water pump
    aluminum thermostat housing
    thermostat orings
    thermostat housing gasket
    thermostat
    rear slotted rotors
    hawk brake pads
    and changing all fluids in the car
    ...Oil Change
    ...coolant
    ...power steering
    ...tranny
    ...diff
    ...brake

door knob engages late so i got to figure out what to do with that... (cant open the door from the outside)

1998 328is

ECIS intake - M50 Intake Manifold - CDV Delete - Fan Delete - Clutch Stop - Ultimate Rotors - Hawk HPS Brake Pads - Xbrace - Custom Euro Plate - 12" Infinity Kappa Perfect Sub
    M52 POWER!!!

My Cars
    w204
    staring at me everyday...

UUC pullies
    BBTB
    Spacro bar
    Side moldings
    New front end and skirts

Send away for paint

plans to add cf sunroof near spring

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast