Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Idle Control Valve Write up; ICV clean DIY

My Cars
    E92 325ci
    Quote Originally Posted by frost dxb View Post
    For some, cleaning ICV may not fix rough idle so don’t forget to clean this valve too (yellow circle) as this controls some vacuums too.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

So I took this valve out and I was reading that to clean it Im supposed to use engine degreaser. Does the valve gets opened from the top with a screw driver(like in the pic)? Im I supposed to spray engine degreaser where this valve sits? How about spray engine drgreaser inside the valve to clean it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1994 BMW 318ic
    Mr. M, you are my new friend -

Thanks for the post. Because of your post, I solved my rough idle problem and completed the ICV job last night with the sacrificial toothbrush and gasoline mixed with 2-cycle oil (which is all I had). It took a total of 2.5 hours after I cleaned, checked, rechecked all the hoses and put it back together. Everything works GREAT, the power is back and the Check Engine light is off, although I am still getting a CODE 1216 regarding the Throttle Position Control (I'll deal with that later). In any case, the road test went fine, the systems are nominal and I was able to get up to 95MPH with no problem and no hesitation.

I had a question though on the carbon deposits in the ICV.

Is there a link between those deposits in the ICV and the use of fuel injector cleaner (the kind you add with the fuel when you gas up the car)? If not, where do the deposits come from so I can avoid this in the future? Thanks.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 316i Compact

Idle Control Valve

As I had been experiencing poor idling on my BMW 316i Compact 1998,It was great to find the write up and pictures by Mr M. detailing the procedure to remove and clean the ICV. It was a long search and the result was that there is no such ICV on the Compact version .The Carburetor is somewhat different and has an extra 3 pin connector on the side along with the throttle potentioneter.This is the Idle Control Valve!
    I removed it and gave it a good clean but the magic cure didn't happen.
    Subsequently whist running the engine and looking for leaks I grabbed the pair of pipes(two together in a shrink sleeve) that run along the back of the engine (one of which connects the rocker cover to the oil seperator??I think that's what it is.)This caused a sudden hissing sound
    Having slit the sleeve it revealed two large slits in a badly worn pipe.Having replaced this the engine now idles a it used to around 800rpm.
    .http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=454501

My Cars
    1997 BMW 318is Sedan

Australia: 1997 BMW 318iS sedan whistle sound

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the post, I too have a idiling problem but I also have a whistiling sound around 1500-2000 rpm from my engine everytime I decelerate from >70km/hr. Could this be dirty control valve?

I also found this website about changes with the M42 engine.
    http://www.motortraders.net.au/group...roup=1&menu=88 I hope this will help explaining it.

My Cars
    94E36 m42 SEDAN
    Quote Originally Posted by whatodo View Post
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for the post, I too have a idiling problem but I also have a whistiling sound around 1500-2000 rpm from my engine everytime I decelerate from >70km/hr. Could this be dirty control valve?

I also found this website about changes with the M42 engine.
    http://www.motortraders.net.au/group...roup=1&menu=88 I hope this will help explaining it.
    love the link

Have you check all hoses in this diagram?

But ya motor is an m44 Mate! There won't have an ICV, item# 1, and #3 hose there. The #2 hose will be go directly to the #4 hoses group.
    Last edited by psyyambmw; 09-06-2010 at 02:08 AM.

My Cars
    94E36 m42 SEDAN
    Try check these guys out http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9431

But keep in mind that most of them are 318ti (compact) and US spec though.

+ I recommend you to replace all the the air hoses in the above diagram and all vacuum tubes around the intake manifold.

Good luck,
    -George
    Last edited by psyyambmw; 09-07-2010 at 12:34 AM.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 318is
    great guide im completely new to my e30 318is just bout two weeks ago. and I failed smog test hydrocarbons at idle were 264 ppm and standard iis 220ppm. but at high idle its 104 ppm and standard is the same as before. I did oil change/filter gas filter air filter rear differential bosch platinum plugs and want to do this also if food weather tomorrow. any other things I should look into i also did sea foam this morning and notice better idle and torque. also looking to put o2 sensor when i find a good write-up. and things else you guys can think of ?

My Cars
    94E36 m42 SEDAN
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergio38is View Post
    great guide im completely new to my e30 318is just bout two weeks ago. and I failed smog test hydrocarbons at idle were 264 ppm and standard iis 220ppm. but at high idle its 104 ppm and standard is the same as before. I did oil change/filter gas filter air filter rear differential bosch platinum plugs and want to do this also if food weather tomorrow. any other things I should look into i also did sea foam this morning and notice better idle and torque. also looking to put o2 sensor when i find a good write-up. and things else you guys can think of ?
    check this out www.m42club.com There will be more answers for e30 m42

My Cars
    94E36 m42 SEDAN
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman89 View Post
    Once you get the intake manifold off do you have access to the starter? My starter has when out and i thought i would fix the idle while i had the manifold off
    Well! It gonna be a lot tougher though. It has to remove the lower intake manifold, 2 fuel lines, all beneath wiring harness though. Check the link here below you will have some idea what you gonna dealing with. Good luck mate.

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18066

My Cars
    323i Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by antonk View Post
    I just cleaned the ICV on my 92 318iS, and man was it ever easy to get to. You don't even need to "get" to it, it just sits there behind the exhaust manifold. Just take off the electrical connection, and the two hoses, undo the one nut and it's off. 5 mins of cleaning, and pop it back in. Easiest thing I've done. Car now idles smooth as a baby's bottom at least when the engine is warm. I JUST did this, so I've yet to test it cold, but I'm happy with how it idles when warm, because it's perfect. I guess there some benefits to 92s afterall

was this on a M52B25, which is what i have, id like to know-how mate please i wanna do it

My Cars
    bmw 316i e36 m43
    i took mine out with a cell phone light in 10 min 10 to clean and 10 to put back. but still got erratic idling,,,,hoses crack do. gonna change those
    first see if it help...

My Cars
    318ti
    Took mine off and cleaned it. Put it back on and idle was worse. I figured maybe it was not making a good seal because I reused the gasket. Sprayed a little th leaner while it was running and idle did change when I sprayed certain spots. Took it back off and under more inspection I found hairline cracks on the outer case. Ugh. Time to replace it..

My Cars
    1994 BMW e36 316i
    Does anyone know apart from the throttle position sensor ( a potentiometer) what other inputs control the icv? because i only know about the 12v constant supply an the signal coming from the tps?

My Cars
    BMW 316i E-36 Compact
    Hi,

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I cleaned my ICV using this guide that was very helpful. My ICV is different because I have E36 (M43B16) 316i 1.6 from '97 but cleaning process is very similar. I'v made a small video so that everyone with the same engine can see how to do it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhIM4bsjOaY

Please be free to comment.

My Cars
    few
    I would like to add to this thread. Yesterday, when I was driving back from school, my 318i started acting kind of funny when idling behind a red traffic light. It was running kind of rough around 500 rpm. When I got home, the engine stalled, and idle never came back. I took off the ICV, and it was full of dirt:

WP_20131105_008_zpseb17b825.jpg
    WP_20131105_007_zpse232bfb9.jpg

After cleaning it as much as I could, moving the spring loaded flap back and forth with a screwdriver, and spraying it with a little bit of WD40, I threw it back on, and now not only has the car its idle back, its idling much smoother then before.

Oh, unlike OP, I was not able to take the intake off completely, because I had two coolant hoses going through the intake manifold. Nevertheless I was able to rise the intake enough so I could take off the ICV.

WP_20131105_001_zps3753a021.jpg
    Last edited by Estonian; 11-05-2013 at 03:19 PM.
    BMW 524td M-Technic (sold)

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    For those that have a very very stuck Idle Air Control Valve, I found that using about 3/4 of a can of brake clean and a screw driver, I was able to clean mine out to the point of perfect operation. Initially it was completely frozen, I soaked the valve in brake clean and used a screw driver to pry the valve. Eventually I got the valve to budge a little bit. I was able to wiggle it back and forth with continued application of brake clean until eventually the valve moved it's entire motion without any rough spots.

I was pretty happy fixing the junked IACV on a 328is that had seen basically zero preventative maintenance. 163k miles and it still had the original spark plugs and an air filter that would better pass as a brick than a filter.
    Last edited by shogun; 09-01-2018 at 04:36 AM.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234