Thread: Service Reset Question

My Cars
    that I love, each in their own way...

Service Reset Question

When you guys change your oil, independant of the indicator, do you reset the service indicator or just let it run its course, then reset it?

I'll have to do my first oil change very soon.
    Can't believe it, I got the car in April, and have put 2500 miles on it already...

Thanks!
    '77 Westy, '99 ///M Coupe, '17 Alltrack

My Cars
    I just let it run it's course when I do it myself, but you can buy the tool if you so desire, it hear it's under $100...

My Cars
    '01 Z3 Coupe, '03 Pathfinder
    If scheduled maintenance is part of your warranty just let the indicator run its course. The dealer won't do the oil change under warranty unless the indicator shows it is due no matter how many miles you've driven. Changed the oil twice since I got the car and still have two green lights left. Dealer turned me away :

My Cars
    I think the dealer will do it at least once a year even if your indicator lights don't say it's time, for free, as part of the warranty.

Which to me means I'll change my own oil 2-3 times a year, and they will do it once a year for free... and reset my lights then...

My Cars
    Thanks for bringing that up. I hadn't considered the 'time' factor. At the rate I personally am going milage wise, it won't be a factor for sure!

My Cars
    Me too, I do about 6K miles a year nowadays, so the 1 year mark always comes up before the lights would say I'm ready for an oil change at the dealer for warranty purposes, etc...

My Cars
    So far the banana has done 8K in 3.5 months, mostly because of work :emo . About to do change #3! They're gonna pay this time!!!

My Cars
    5500 miles in 9 mos here... :

My Cars
    '14 GLK250, '13 Abarth
    7500 miles in 4½ months!

1999 Cosmos Black/Dove Grey BMW ///M3 convertible - 5 speed - SOLD

2005 Atlantic Blue Pearl/Taupe Leather Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Wagon - 5 speed
    - SOLD

2014 Tenorite Grey/Black Mercedes-Benz GLK 250 - bone stock.

2013 Bianco/Rosso Abarth 500c - 5 speed

2016 Oxford White/Grey Ford Transit 250 Powerstroke 148 MR (DIY RV conversion)

My Cars
    a
    I have my oil/filter changed every 3K miles and I don't let the dealer reset the service indicators.

It's even more important when you are still under factory maintence warranty. The dealer will only perform service when the indicators indicate service is needed (or one oil change a year, if you don't drive alot)

My Cars
    2003 Mitsu Lancer Evo VIII, 2005 Chevy Z51 C6
    Couple of things, if you are doing an oil change in between service intervals, you should leave the indicator alone. You should only reset it at a service indicator. Also, free-maintenance under the free-maintenance warranty is dependent on the dealership. Mine had no problem doing the work for free when there was one or two green lights left.
    Rel
    1999 Titanium Silver ///M3 (SOLD)
    Conforti Intake, Shark Injector, AA Gen 3 Exhaust, AA Track Pipe, Koni SAs, H&R OE Sports, TC Kline RSMs, X-Brace, UUC TMEs, ZKWs w/HID, DDE Gen IV, Clears, NIKEN pedals, Pioneer DEH-P7000, Valentine One

2003 Tarmac Black Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
    Borla cat-back, AEM SRI, GReddy TT, Sony CDX-CA810X

2005 Lemans Blue Chevrolet Z51 Corvette

My Cars
    '07 335i, '07 Ducati S4RS Testastretta
    I'm a pussy. I don't change the oil on my car. Hey, at least I'm honest.

My Cars
    '14 GLK250, '13 Abarth
    You should try it, it's probably the car on which changing the oil is the easiest. This applies to 3-series as well.

- SOLD

My Cars
    e30, e46, Super Duty
    It looks like Hugo and I are on the same page when it comes to mileage. I've got 11k on the Z3 since December, and it wasn't driven daily until about 4 weeks ago (also went about 6 weeks without being driven at all). I do about 22-26k a year on average

As for the lights I change my oil every 2.5-3k on my own and let the lights go. About a week ago the last green light went out and "oil service" came up. I'm going to buy the reset tool that also does diagnostic checks as well. I figure it will be a nice thing to have as insurance if a check engine light or anything else goes wrong and I want to bring it to the dealer and not get ripped off.

My Cars
    You can also use a paperclip to reset the lights. You just short two pins on the diagnostic connector. Unfortunately I don't remember offhand what those pins are.
    Rel
    Conforti Intake, Shark Injector, AA Gen 3 Exhaust, AA Track Pipe, Koni SAs, H&R OE Sports, TC Kline RSMs, X-Brace, UUC TMEs, ZKWs w/HID, DDE Gen IV, Clears, NIKEN pedals, Pioneer DEH-P7000, Valentine One

My Cars
    '14 GLK250, '13 Abarth
    Check out my oil change thread. You short the #7 pin by plugging a wire into it, then putting the other end of the wire on the engine block or manifold or hook for 10 seconds. Worked on mine.

- SOLD

My Cars
    yeah, like Rel said, just change the oil, leave the lights alone, even if the dealer does it for you, then when they do all light up, let the dealer do the change and do the lights then....

For me, it'll probably be Year 2 or something at the rate I'm going... although you guys would be proud, we put 200 miles on the Roadster this past weekend....

My Cars
    Or you can do what my friend does on his 325i. He's changed the oil a bunch of times but never reset the service lights. It's infinitely stuck on oil service.
    Rel

My Cars
    : I wonder if that would "effect" one's warranty, though, with a newer car....?

My Cars
    Free maintenance? Yeah, probably.
    Rel

My Cars
    It could also effect your warranty too, they could technically say you did not hold up your end of the warranty (eventhough the oil was changed, just not by a dealer, etc)...

do u think that bmw prolongs the interval between oil changes, so as to decrease maintainence costs while increasing chances of engine wearing out after warranty so that the owners take it to the dealership and pay $$$ or buy a new vehicle.

or are the long intervals adequate? is there a chip/mod that would decrease interval time?

My Cars
    I doubt anyone has made a chip to decrease the service interval, and if so, it would likely invalidate your warranty as an aftermarket chip...

And with synthetic oil, under normal conditions you can go longer between oil changes than in the past, for sure.

But personally, get it changed or do it yourself more often, and take it to the dealer when the lights tell you to for the free oil change and keep your warranty valid.

I'm not sure any car maker provides Free Maintenance and allows for 4 oil changes a year under that plan....