Thread: Cleaning windshield washer tank sensor?

My Cars
    A Few With Roundels

Cleaning windshield washer tank sensor?

Hey Hey.

I ordered a new foglight for the driver's side, as well as new wiper blades today...and I was going to order a new windshield washer resivoir sensor but I thought I'd see if I could clean mine first...

The problem is that the check light for the washer tank keeps coming on...once I press the "check" button it won't come back, but when I remove the key and then put it in again (i.e. next time I go to drive the car) it comes back...

I topped off the tank...I think it must be the sensor...is there a way to clean it?

Thanks, as always!

try IPA (isopropyl alcohol) on some q-tips. or simple green works wonders too. maybe soak it in either one?
    tommm

My Cars
    1988 M3
    Make sure the sensor is put in the correct way. I put the sensor in upside down and it doesn't work. It should have a little bulb that floats, so the sensor should be floating (~ 45 degree angle to level). If it isn't, try turning the sensor around. It could be stuck.
    Bryan K.
    1988 ///M3
    1997 E36 ///M3 Project
    Texas A&M Formula SAE

My Cars
    1990 325i, 2 dr, 5spd.
    I'll second the "sensor in the wrong way" solution.

My little light has been on since I bought the freaking car, even though the resevoir was full. Every once in a while, I would have a look at it and try to fix it.

Yesterday, I was looking at the side of the tank where the float goes into the resevoir and I noticed that the circular "plug" had a flat side and that the flat side was supposed to line up with a tab on the resevoir.

Sure enough, I turned it and lined it up properly and poof, no more light.

The float was just turned 90 degrees so it swung side to side instead of up and down.

Yeah, I'm an idiot.