Thread: Has anyone fixed a tripometer that jams (not a broken gear issue)

My Cars
    80 BMW 320i, 81 Porsche 911sc, 91 Mazda RX-7 conv.

Has anyone fixed a tripometer that jams (not a broken gear issue)

I replaced the odometer gear in my BMW and the tripometer and odometer worked fine for months. Then my car sat up for 2 months. The tripometer would stop turning somethimes when it got to a xx.9 and had to turn over another number. One time it also would stick at 000.0 and not turn. I tried everthing wiht the reset button to get it to go but it would move anything more than a tiny bit. After about 50 miles on the interstate and town it started working again but still gets stuck sometimes on a xx.9. I took it apart and looked for a problem but could not see anything. I also put some wax lubricant on the gears hoping it would help. I am almost afraid of resetting it because it might get stuck at 000.0 again.

does anybody know how to fix this?

My Cars
    E21, E24, M3
    I had the SAME exact problem with it stalling on the XX.9's. Its a broken gear, mine was cracked. Replaced that gear and it works perfectly.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by blitzed310 View Post
    I had the SAME exact problem with it stalling on the XX.9's. Its a broken gear, mine was cracked. Replaced that gear and it works perfectly.
    Where did you get the gear from, a spare odo unit?

My Cars
    E21, E24, M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Houpty GT View Post
    Where did you get the gear from, a spare odo unit?
    Yes, I member had an extra one for me.

My Cars
    I was ordering a gear for my 911 from Jeff at www.odometergears.com (which is where I got the first gear from) and I mentioned to him the problem I was having with the tripometer. He kindly offered to repair it for me. He sent it back to me and said he had to replace the lead (I think it might be zinc but I have not looked at it well) gear because it wallows out on the shaft. I was not working when I got it back and for some reason one of the gears had fallen out of timing even though Jeff had tested it before he shipped it to me. I reset the timing of the one gear with Jeffs help on the phone and I have not had a problem with it since.

Now I can start testing my gas mileage I am getting from my Weber carburetor.
    a stock US 320i handles like a wet mop and is as slow as dog turds. - jrcook320

My Cars
    1978 BMW 320i
    ACtually, sometimes what happens to me is that I will put the trip, and not get it all the way pushed in.. and when it trys to turn, it just clicks .. Try pushing it in harder.
    The previous owner mangled alot of the wiring behind the dash. As far as I can tell, there was a drunken anger mangle going on back there.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by SLoWz3R View Post
    ACtually, sometimes what happens to me is that I will put the trip, and not get it all the way pushed in.. and when it trys to turn, it just clicks .. Try pushing it in harder.
    Definitely was not the problem but this might help someone else out though.
    Last edited by Houpty GT; 08-17-2007 at 12:46 PM.

My Cars
    , Z3 , Tahoe kaw zg1000
    If you have the speedo out look at one side and you will see a small plastic cog that connects the miles and the trip, usually it is blue in color. Make sure it is pushed down all the way and it does not have a crack in it. When you resset the trip is puts pressure on that small blue cog and it will sometimes pop out of place. If it is not staying in position it is probably cracked.

My Cars
    1982 BMW 320i (since May 2007) & 2002 Chevy Impala

Tripometer

I am having a similar problem with mine (stops at 9.9). One thing that is strange, mine works at night or when ever it is cool outside. Does anyone have some photos of how the entire thing is disassembled (starting at the point of removing the gauge cluster from the dash)?

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by ldarmoore View Post
    I am having a similar problem with mine (stops at 9.9). One thing that is strange, mine works at night or when ever it is cool outside. Does anyone have some photos of how the entire thing is disassembled (starting at the point of removing the gauge cluster from the dash)?
    Jeff at odometer gears said that this is the typical signs of the 'lead' gear. It wallows out on the shaft and when it is cold it shrinks just enough to be tight enough to turn. He has the gear if you need it. I never saw mine behave this way but it seems to be working now.