Thread: Sunroof seal questions

My Cars
    81 RHD 323i, 77 630csi, 68 Bug, 90 735iL

Sunroof seal questions

Hey Guys,

Can someone answer this one for me? I need to buy a new sunroof seal for my 323i, but I'm a bit confused. I see front seals, and rear seals for sale on different sites. On my car, it only has 1 seal, which wrapped completely around the sunroof panel edge. That's all I've ever really seen on these cars, and I don't understand the need for a front and a rear one? What's the deal?

Al

My Cars
    1979 323i BMW. 2003 GTI 20 V Turbo

Yeah

Quote Originally Posted by Al Canuck
    Hey Guys,

Can someone answer this one for me? I need to buy a new sunroof seal for my 323i, but I'm a bit confused. I see front seals, and rear seals for sale on different sites. On my car, it only has 1 seal, which wrapped completely around the sunroof panel edge. That's all I've ever really seen on these cars, and I don't understand the need for a front and a rear one? What's the deal?

Al

Ok. Al.
    Here is the deal...The older style cars had two seals.
    Later BMW superceeded this with one large sunroof seal.
    See the above diagram lists both.
    This is an expensive seal that Bav Auto wants $100 for, and that place in Arizona has it for $75. Thats the lowest I have seen for the complete seal.
    It is reinforced in Metal thats why.

I am getting just the one gasket for my car.
    Last edited by jjgbmw323; 12-11-2005 at 09:03 PM.
    "..Horsepower is a measure of work done over time, or the rate at which work is done."

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/579694/1

My Cars
    E21, E24, M3
    I had to go with the 2 seals. But when I went to pick up the new headliner the guy told me that he could get that same exact seal for only about $50. So I'm sure that you can find that seal from someone who specialized in sunroofs.

My Cars
    e34 winter ride,e30 hybernating, e21 the swap, 115
    i hope you aren't buying that seal cause your sunroof is leaking.......all the sunroof seals do is slow down the amount of water that comes in thru the sunroof and keep out wind noise. if you are leaking you need to clean out your rain run off tubes.
    DJ Professor is my name, swapping M20 motors into US spec e21's (with no 323 goodies) is my game.

I thread jack like no other......

My Cars
    1981 Plain Jane

One-piece Sunroof Seal

Can someone tell me what the BMW part number is for the ONE-PIECE SEAL (shown as #2 in the ETK)?

My Cars
    81 320i, 98 318ti
    Just FYI- I used 2 piece E30 seal on the e21 with the great success. I know it's not what you're looking for but I grabbed a used seal from the 325e- works perfectly in my 320i

Max