Thread: Help Please! No sound from speakers in E36

My Cars
    ///M

Unhappy Help Please! No sound from speakers in E36

*************FOUND PROBLEM***************************

*************HEADUNIT WAS POWERING ON AND OFF BUT AMP INSIDE BLEW**********************

*************THIS WAS AFTER CHECKING ALL FUSES TWICE, CHANGING THE STOCK AMP, FOLLOWING THE WIRE HARNESS, AND DISASSEMBLING THE WHOLE INTERIOR********************

Hi.
    I had a installed pioneer headunit that worked perfectly until today.

You see, the ground wire on my aftermarket amp in the trunk came loose and made a connection with the remote wire on this same amp.

This caused the fuse attached to the headunit's remote wire to blow. Fine. I replaced it, and still I have no sound.

This happened one time before, afterwhich I replaced the fuse and had sound again.

None of the fuses on the amp, headunit, or the fuse box in the engine are blown. However, while reading the underside of the fuse cover, it said that there is 20 amper fuse in the luggage compartment.

Is this true? If so, can anyone tell me where it is?

Otherwise, what do you guys think my problem is. The headunit turns on and works fine, yet there is no sound coming from the speakers. This leads me to believe that it is a remote issue.

Could it be the stock amp getting blown from the wires connecting?

Any other ideas?

PLEASE HELP ME!!!
    Last edited by e39M5; 12-15-2005 at 02:13 AM.

static667 is offline Harmful. Possibly fatal. BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '02 3xxCi
    Have you tried pushing the reset button on the head unit? That might help. I'm not sure if it will or not, but its worth a try. If not that, the amp might be done. I only have minimal knowlage on car audio stuff so just mess with different things to see if anything happens.

My Cars
    ///M
    Hi. Thanks for the response. I looked for a reset button and there wasn't one. So I guess the amp may be fried. *I dunno* ?

My Cars
    1995 Hellrot 325is
    Turn volume up?
    [
    Turner Perf Chip/Fan Delete/Sparco Strut Tower Brace/X-Brace/JTD Underpanel
    Zimmerman X-D Rotors/Axxis Ultimate Pads/Solid Caliper Guide Bolt Bushings
    UUC EVO3/DSSR SSK/3.15 LSD/Cosmos Racing CAI V2/ASC Delete
    96+ M3 LCA/LCAB M3 RTAB and GC Shims
    BMW OEM Alarm/Woodgrain Delete/Blizzaks baby!/16x7 BMW Style 30 Sport wheels

static667 is offline Harmful. Possibly fatal. BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '02 3xxCi
    There should be a reset button. On a Pioneer, its about the size of the tip on a Bic ink pen and should be behind the face plate. What model radio is it? Look in the owners manuel to see if it says anything about it. Or maybe check their web site. Anyway, good luck. I hate when my stereo doesn't work. It makes me very unhappy.

My Cars
    325IS
    ur actions have resulted in the amp to blow, either ur terminals are gone. Does your amp turn on? If it does that uyour amp is fine and the problem might be in the HU. If the Hu tunns of and so does the amp, your remote wire is doing its job, so thats not the problem. You might have blown the output section of your HU. Let me know if your amp is getting turned on? and if it isnt than check the fuse, if the fuse is blown, replace it and once you do this. If the fuse blows right away, you have a problem with your terminals, would cost about 80 bucks to fix. my 2 cent

My Cars
    ///M
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexitup
    ur actions have resulted in the amp to blow, either ur terminals are gone. Does your amp turn on? If it does that uyour amp is fine and the problem might be in the HU. If the Hu tunns of and so does the amp, your remote wire is doing its job, so thats not the problem. You might have blown the output section of your HU. Let me know if your amp is getting turned on? and if it isnt than check the fuse, if the fuse is blown, replace it and once you do this. If the fuse blows right away, you have a problem with your terminals, would cost about 80 bucks to fix. my 2 cent

Hi. My headunit does not have a removeable faceplate, and it does turns on and off fine. The Stock amp must not be working, as well as the aftermarket amp for my subwoofer. I have checked the fuse for the aftermarket amo and it's fine. I dunno, please help! I guess I'll have to do some testing....

My Cars
    ///M
    no ideas?!?!?

My Cars
    ///M
    Please help/// :i

My Cars
    07 328i, Xterra
    Dude, don't panic.
    Is there voltage on your turn-on wire when the car is on?
    Unlikely IMO that you blew both the stock amp and the aftermarket amp so I'm guessing mybe the trun-on wire doesn't have any juice...

CW
    If you'd like to help fight cancer in kids, check out our Photo Annual. All proceeds go to Curesearch

My Cars
    E36 - 328is
    If your Head Unit turns on, it's okay. Take a Volt meter and check the speaker outputs on the headunit. If it moves, the Head unit works.

Disconect all power to the amp, let it sit, hopefully it may reset automatically. Connect Power to the amp and see if that turns on. Put a volt meter to the amps output see if gives anything. If it doesn't, amp is busted. If it does then check the speaker.

Take a battery and pop the speakers. If it doesn't pop, replace the speakers.
    1997 BMW 328is
    Boston, MA ~ USA

My Cars
    ///M
    Quote Originally Posted by Cwaters
    Dude, don't panic.
    Is there voltage on your turn-on wire when the car is on?
    Unlikely IMO that you blew both the stock amp and the aftermarket amp so I'm guessing mybe the trun-on wire doesn't have any juice...

CW

I think you are right. I went to go reconnect all the wires on the aftermarket amp and it wouldn't turn on when the headunit was on. Again, there was no sound coming from any of the speakers. I really don't care about the aftermarket amp, I just want to hear something from my speakers!

any ideas?

My Cars
    ///M
    ttt...

My Cars
    ///M
    ttt...

My Cars
    ///M
    ttt...

My Cars
    325i, 2002 tii, 325is, 525it, 735i
    Try the audio forum instead of the E36 forum since this really has nothing to do with an E36. There seems to be lots of helpful folks over there.