Thread: Airbag light on after Recaro install.Please help

My Cars
    95 m3,04 Tahoe Z71

Airbag light on after Recaro install.Please help

I tried the circuit board with the resistor and diode.It would not reset,kept coming up with a fault.
    Is the only solution to remove the pad from the stock seat and put it in the new?
    The guy who did the install said it was only a problem with the 95's.Is that true?
    I am sure there is a simple solution.
    Thanks in advance,Martin
    12/95 alpine white m3.Last of the breed

My Cars
    98 M3
    are the seatbelt tensioners plugged in? Just buy a new matt and put it in the bottom if nothing else is working.

Its an issue on all e36's with a pass. side airbag.
    Sean

My Cars
    98 M3/4/6, 16 M3/6
    u did try to get the light reset by using a special SRS tool right? otherwise the light doesnt reset itself, it stays on until someone resets it with the SRS airbag tool.

My Cars
    2006 Z4 3.0si TiAg
    Quote Originally Posted by 96m3
    I tried the circuit board with the resistor and diode.It would not reset,kept coming up with a fault.
    Is the only solution to remove the pad from the stock seat and put it in the new?
    The guy who did the install said it was only a problem with the 95's.Is that true?
    I am sure there is a simple solution.
    Thanks in advance,Martin
    You have to have the SRS reset tool (Peake sells it) in order to reset the light - it will not reset on its own. You also have to have all the SRS components - such as the occupancy sensor mat. I tried the resistor diode trick and could not get it to work either. So - you will need to buy (or remove your old) occupancy sensor mat and the associated module (black box mounted under passenger seat. Just connect it all together and drop the stuff under your new seats. Of course, without weight on the sensor pad, the passenger airbag will never go off. But the light will stay off....

Jeff
    2006 Z4 3.0 si
    6 spd

2004 325i auto (DD). GONE.

2013 Honda Ridgeline

My Cars
    99M3, 04 M3 , 17 F250
    Does anyone have the hot wire directions for the seatbelts. Im planning to put in some 4 points and remove the factory belts. I have the seat sensor.
    Doug (BMWCCA HPDE Instructor, Respect My Authoritay!)

1999 Titanium Silver M3 track Rat
    2017 F250 Powerstroke
    2004 M3 Widebody, LS

My Cars
    Harleys and a Tesla
    You could also just remove the bulb from the cluster. The cluster just takes a few minutes to remove.

My Cars
    1995 Cosmos M3
    Quote Originally Posted by ParadigmGuy
    You could also just remove the bulb from the cluster. The cluster just takes a few minutes to remove.
    I could be wrong but I don't think its the light thats bothering him but the fact that the SRS system is not functioning.

Martin, I just got my seats in too. I'm thinking of either the resistor trick if it works (maybe the 96-99 cars have a different sensor?) or buying a new psgr seat sensor and wiring it in.

Anyone know how long the cable is on a stock psgr seat sensor? If its long enough one could possibly run it through the bottom of a 5 point seatbelt hole.
    1995 Cosmos M3

Wanted (New or Used):
    3.2L Euro Supersprint Headers / Kromerkraft headers

For Sale:
    Many E36 M3 Items for Sale

My Cars
    87 325is
    I don't know if the wires are long enough or not, but that could be easily fixed with some additional wire and heat shrink tubing. However, if you use 5/6 point harnesses I'd be a bit concerned about chafing if you run the wires thorough the hole. I think it would be better to modify the seat pan and profide a dedicated path for the occupancy sensor.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    99M3, 04 M3 , 17 F250
    If you run a 5/6 point I would thing the airbags would be removed?
    Doug (BMWCCA HPDE Instructor, Respect My Authoritay!)

1999 Titanium Silver M3 track Rat
    2017 F250 Powerstroke
    2004 M3 Widebody, LS

My Cars
    2006 Z4 3.0si TiAg
    Quote Originally Posted by ToneCapone
    I could be wrong but I don't think its the light thats bothering him but the fact that the SRS system is not functioning.

Martin, I just got my seats in too. I'm thinking of either the resistor trick if it works (maybe the 96-99 cars have a different sensor?) or buying a new psgr seat sensor and wiring it in.

Anyone know how long the cable is on a stock psgr seat sensor? If its long enough one could possibly run it through the bottom of a 5 point seatbelt hole.
    The sensor is actually a thin plastic sheet with some contact points. It has adhesive to stick to the seat frame under the cushion. cable is about 6-8" long IIRC. I guess you could just drop in the seat of the Recaro and run the cable down to the module.....
    2006 Z4 3.0 si
    6 spd

2004 325i auto (DD). GONE.

2013 Honda Ridgeline

My Cars
    95 m3,04 Tahoe Z71
    Thanks guys.Yes we did try to set it with the reset tool.I guess the only solution is to remove the mat and put it in the Recaro.Luckily I did not cut the connector off.Maybe someone local has a junk seat that I could get the pad off.I wonder how much it is new?
    The guy that I bought the seats from is a Recaro dealer.He is trying to get an answer from the factory.
    Martin
    12/95 alpine white m3.Last of the breed

My Cars
    M Coupe, etc......
    Lets see some pics, does it look hella sweet.

My Cars
    GTS3 E36, 97 M3/4/5
    The passenger seat occupancy sensor pad is only about $65 from the dealer.

nickdrivesm3 is offline <---Retired from that BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by ParadigmGuy

thank you!

- Nick: Pacific Region Vice-President for BMW CCA
    San Diego BMW CCA Past President
    Join the BMW Car Club of America!!!