Thread: how do you clean up yor cpu when...

My Cars
    97 silver 328is

how do you clean up yor cpu when...

you frequented some "unworklike" websites at work. when i type in an address, i get all the other addresses that should not really be there. i deleted the contents of history folder, temp. internet folder, and the recent folder. what am i missing?

oh god, please help me. don't want to the boss to sit at my cpu and see something he shouldn't!!
    "The koalas are so hungry they are eating pine needles," "What will tourists think of a habitat of denuded trees with desperate, starving koalas roaming the damaged landscape?"

My Cars
    2003 Mitsu Lancer Evo VIII, 2005 Chevy Z51 C6
    Hmmm, cleared history should get rid of the address bar crap, but if not, make sure you cleared out Autocomplete, too.
    Rel
    1999 Titanium Silver ///M3 (SOLD)
    Conforti Intake, Shark Injector, AA Gen 3 Exhaust, AA Track Pipe, Koni SAs, H&R OE Sports, TC Kline RSMs, X-Brace, UUC TMEs, ZKWs w/HID, DDE Gen IV, Clears, NIKEN pedals, Pioneer DEH-P7000, Valentine One

2003 Tarmac Black Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
    Borla cat-back, AEM SRI, GReddy TT, Sony CDX-CA810X

2005 Lemans Blue Chevrolet Z51 Corvette

My Cars
    97 silver 328is
    where is the autocomplete? (not very cpu savy)
    "The koalas are so hungry they are eating pine needles," "What will tourists think of a habitat of denuded trees with desperate, starving koalas roaming the damaged landscape?"

My Cars
    97 silver 328is
    forgot to mention, in my cookies folder there is a index.dat that i can't delete. what is that all about

My Cars
    mta
    i so thought he was going to ask how to clean spooge off the computer.... but close enough

My Cars
    '05 997 C2, '15 JKU
    autocomplete is in

tools: internet options: content tab.... button about 2/3 of the way down.
    this space reserved for pissing off liberals...

ronthebabboonslayer: "helmet guy's post is far from polluting"

My Cars
    97 silver 328is
    Originally posted by blondechick
    i so thought he was going to ask how to clean spooge off the computer.... but close enough

in a way, you ain't so far off

My Cars
    mta
    yea i think so, too. haha.

My Cars
    Originally posted by blondechick
    Oh, Nikki, always thinking about spooge. :
    Rel
    Conforti Intake, Shark Injector, AA Gen 3 Exhaust, AA Track Pipe, Koni SAs, H&R OE Sports, TC Kline RSMs, X-Brace, UUC TMEs, ZKWs w/HID, DDE Gen IV, Clears, NIKEN pedals, Pioneer DEH-P7000, Valentine One

My Cars
    mta
    Yes. Your point? Haha. Okay maybe I do need to chill.

My Cars
    97 silver 328is
    ok terrific.....that didn't work. do i need to restart?

My Cars
    I just reread your first post. You said you deleted the contents of the history folder... but did you use the Tools, Internet Options, General, Clear History button?
    Rel

My Cars
    97 silver 328is
    you nailed it my friend. i had no idea about that. i used to go into the windows folder.
    thanks.

now if i can just do something about that stick......oooops, nikki was right.

My Cars
    Good, good. I have to cover my tracks frequently as well.
    Rel

My Cars
    M5, E61
    um...because you visited some "unworklike" sites, you have only one choice - format your drive and start again...it's the only moral thing to do - be cleansed!

Seriously, you're in a heap of crap ultimately. Never go down somewhere without covering your tracks if you don't want to be followed. Otherwise, someone can follow you.

There are progs like Easy Recover that will open files you thought you deleted.

Anyway, the ONLY way to delete the stuff for the "average" IT guy is to go into the registry and see what progs are being called when IE starts up. There are programs (progs) that load DLLs that will continue to call "bad sites" despite your having cleared them from "memory"...you want to consult a professional "cleaner"

My Cars
    97 silver 328is
    i hear that, but i don't have any actual "unworklike" files on my cpu. i never download crap at work. it was just those addresses that would come up. they seem to have disappeared for now and i'm pretty sure if the bossman actually sat down at my cpu, he wouldn't have the farthest clue as to what to look for.

My Cars
    M5, E61
    I wouldn't worry about your boss too much, worry about your coworker who doesn't like you and is snoopy, worry about the IT guy who is self-righteous, worry if you aren't getting your work done anyway

My Cars
    2003 WRX Wagon
    I use a mild detergent and a brillo pad. Get's out the toughest grime.
    Conrad

My Cars
    No BMW for now
    Originally posted by Canatro
    forgot to mention, in my cookies folder there is a index.dat that i can't delete. what is that all about
    ummmm I think you are screwed either way, whether you delete or not. There are programs that can log what websites you've been to, regardless if you delete your temp and history files or not. My work does this to us, and there is also an index.dat file in the IE folder.

On Umnitza's note about the easy recovery programs, those don't work if you run a defrag on the hard and then reboot

My Cars
    The Clown Shoe
    Browse morally suspect sites using Mozilla. Internet Explorer will fight like hell to stay the default browser. Just hide the start-up icon for Mozilla.

My Cars
    85 325e, 95 M3

C:>format

Bye files...

My Cars
    Yeah, um, if your work has a policy against visiting such sites, you probably shouldn't visit them. Normal setup nowadays is to track sites on their firewall or proxy.
    Rel