Thread: Odometer not working

My Cars
    '87 Porsche 911, '90 BMW 325is, '01 Volvo V70 T5

Odometer not working

My '90 325is has been having intermitent odometer problems for several months. It finally quit working for good a few months ago and I had the odometer fixed by a local speedo repair shop. Recently it has gone back to working intermitently. When I had the rocker arm replaced they sent the odometer back to the same place and it was still in working condition. Now I think it is the sending unit. Is the sending unit on the transmission or the differential? I was looking at the differential over the weekend and there is a plastic 2 prong plug that when I checked to see if it was on tight, the plastic cover snapped off. The 2 prongs are still attached but not sure how tight. Is this my odometer sending unit or something else? If not what is it?

My Cars
    86 325es/// 95 m3//89 325is custom
    The plug on the differential is for the speed sensor. If your speedometer works then the speed sensor is ok. THe problem with the odometer is three plastic gears within the speedometer housing that run the odometer. Do a search for e30 odometer repair on this forum and you will find lots of info on this subject.

My Cars
    1990 325i Cabrio
    yeah try a search on e-bay. i foudn the one i needed for $25.00. stuff ain't cheap thats for sure, for some plastic gear.

My Cars
    98 318ti
    BTW once you take the cluster out of the car it is really easy to get to the gear, only a few more minutes. I just did it.
    98 318ti 5Speed

My Cars
    1990 325i Cabrio
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanJung View Post
    BTW once you take the cluster out of the car it is really easy to get to the gear, only a few more minutes. I just did it.

Any tricky things to watch out for when removing the cluster that might help.

My Cars
    '90 325i, '89 525i,
    well the smallest gear on mine was pressed in and was very brittle, i barely touched it and it fell off. the replacement gear was on another speedo and was pressed in as well. i didnt want to take the chance of damaging the gear so i just replaced the whole speedo. by doing that i added 60000 miles to my odometer but the thing hadnt worked since i got the car and who knows how long before that so the new one may be somewhat accurate.

....its coming along