Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dear God, Why Do E30 Brake Pad Lights Always Stay On?

My Cars
    A Few With Roundels
    Sometimes it's worth fixing the problem instead of just covering it up.

My Cars
    Harley Dyna
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Carufel
    Sometimes it's worth fixing the problem instead of just covering it up.
    it's not a problem, dumbass.
    173rd ABN

-12/14/2005

My Cars
    A Few With Roundels
    Quote Originally Posted by e36bokes
    it's not a problem, dumbass.

Yes, it is; It's a problem that the light is stuck on.

If I were to buy an E30 advertised as no problems, repalace bulbs in the instrument cluster as regular maintenance, and find that the brake light warning bulb had been removed because it was faulty, I would be pissed.

My Cars
    '91 325i, F31 328i M
    ben, had you not replaced the SI board in that car yet?
    if its not fixed once replacing the sensors, then the problem should be either low battery (on the SI), corroded battery contacts, or some other problem on that board that is possible too.
    i had the same issue, replaced sensors which didnt fix it and changed the board to the new version and all good.

My Cars
    Jeep XJ
    Exactly

My Cars
    current: e30 325i 1989,
    Funny how a lot of us e30 guys have barely any pads left.

My Cars
    A Few With Roundels
    Pads are fine; SI board is brand new.

Still get a brake lining light.

My Cars
    '87 325is
    ditto on the problem. i was gonna go the route of getting rid of the bulb, but it really doesnt bother me that much. it will eventually go out just like how the ABS light died about a year ago after being on since '90. like bokes said, you dont need a computer to tell you that your pads are low.

My Cars
    90 E30 M3 S50
    the brake lining light doesn't cause the "check" engine light to blink does it?

My Cars
    89 325i, 02 Z3
    I think the brake pad wear sensor falls under the "good design idea" but "bad design implementation" category! Or maybe BMW likes to sell brake jobs!

My Cars
    91 E30 325i; 94 Dodge Cummins
    ok...pull the insturment cluster out, and ditch the light; what does this equal? NO MORE BRAKE LINING LIGHT!!!! Simple as that.

My Cars
    Metal on wheels
    I simply disconnected the sensor....actually I cut the wire off and that took care of the light. I didn't need the sensors, since I flush my system twice a year and check my pads visually once a month when I change my tires for autox. All that sensor will tell you is your pads are worn. However, I guess if you don't flush your system or physically check your pads, then you need it.

My Cars
    2003 530i/5 Sport
    My brake pad lining light doesn't come on!

But on the other hand, my "low beam" warning light sometimes comes on, and I know all the lights are good. oh well.

My Cars
    1990 BMW 3251 SE
    Hi chaps I had this issue with one of my e30's. It had low pads so I replaced them AND the sensors. All good for a few miles then the light came back on. So back to the sensors and found the problem. Because the pads were worn so were the rotors, they had small ridge on the outside of the rotor which after turning a few times had worn through the wire end of sensor pad enough to set the bulb off again. I would of course never do this but out came the grinder and very carefully ground of that lip which was only about 0.5-1.0mm. Placed blob of superglue over the small wear mark on the sensor, problem solved. It should be remembered that at every second pad change the rotors should be changed as well.

My Cars
    Pile-o-Parts shaped like
    It along with most of the overhead check panel are worthless... For people not afraid to pull the dipstick, rotate regularly and get visuals on everything. God forbid any of you others swapped any builds to LED Hahaha.

I'm looking at replacing my overhead panel with something a little more useful

My Cars
    1989 Bmw325IC
    Quote Originally Posted by SpartanEuro View Post

I'm looking at replacing my overhead panel with something a little more useful
    What the hell do you do with all the wiring? After 30 years, you get all kinds of malfunctions with the worthless BMW sensors. I'd love to get rid of the mess.

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    You can take out tons of wiring and the car will still run. Just open the harness cover and cut out the wires you no longer want
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    1989 Bmw325IC
    Quote Originally Posted by superj View Post
    You can take out tons of wiring and the car will still run. Just open the harness cover and cut out the wires you no longer want
    Superj, do you mean the overhead harness? When those warning sensors light up they also turn on the flashing light in your instrument cluster. So if you cut those wires will the flashing light still go on and then how do you turn off the flashing light, that button is wired to the overhead unit? Some of the sensors give warnings on an closed circuit and some on an open circuit, is that a problem?

My Cars
    Sorry, i was talking about the whole car harness. I took out power window wires, power sunroof wires, idle control system, all kinds of stuff. I didn't mess with overhead check panel, other than move it to the floor next to where i remounted the ecu.

So i am not sure about that overhead panel but since the car still runs when you unplug it, i imagine you can delete it. Try driving without it and see if your check light flashes on the gage cluster.

- - - Updated - - -

And this was not on the current cars. It was one were using for the lightest e30 thread, back in the day.
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    87 BMW 325i Convertible
    dammit.... i have tried 2 times to fix the solder points on the brake lining resistor, and it still does it. Thinking of just pulling the bulb out, but my ocd wants to fix this also....

anyone have a picture of the solder points of this resistor? I followed the e30 wiki for pics, and now wondering if i got the correct ones.
    Last edited by doctorx69; 07-11-2019 at 03:55 PM.
    1987 BMW 325i Convertible

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.”
    Jeremy Clarkson

My Cars
    none of your sensor wires under the car are worn through by abrasion or some other reason?
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    87 BMW 325i Convertible
    no.. brand new. maybe 300 miles on them. Brakes are completely new.

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.”
    Jeremy Clarkson

My Cars
    87 BMW 325i Convertible
    ok... took the cluster out AGAIN and went through and reflowed the solder on the connections around the temp gauge. We will see if that finally works. I have to order new handle for passenger door first. yay

Jeremy Clarkson

My Cars
    87 BMW 325i Convertible
    well it seems to have worked this time... i panicked when i got it together and the tach wasnt working. Turned out that i had a fuse not plugged in completely. *whew*. I hope this is the last time to have to do this.

Jeremy Clarkson

My Cars
    e30s
    Hey doc..can u supply a pic of which solder joint you re did to get the lining light to go out. I know mine is the issue. I tap the cluster and goes out and comes back on..thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast