Thread: low beam + tail light failure on OBC

low beam + tail light failure on OBC

hi, i got the xenons and i was wondering how do people get the low beam failure off of their OBC when they got the xenons ?? also dont u need a 15amp fuse so the fuse wont blow ??

also i bought some cheap euro taillights and i always get tail light failure on the OBC ... is there anyway to remedy this problem ??

Man, We aren't getting any help out here. I posted the same message here and on bimmer.org. So far I have gotten one person to tell me that we might need to put a 20watt capacitor on the lights.
    I know you need to upgrade your fuse. It takes 85 watts to start the lights and then they go down to 35watts when they "settle in". I put a 20 amp fuse in and the OBC only says "low beam failure" once in a while. It will usually go off if I turn off the car and start her back up. Just sharing what I know. If you find out any more please let me know.

See this thread (almost at the bottom) to find "resistor.zip," which are some instructions I found on the web. I haven't tried them yet (too lazy, and I just hit the "check" button to turn the warning off), so YMMV.
    http://self.phpwebhosting.com/~bimme...&threadid=2390

Thank you

I have had others contact me now and it's nice to be able to help. I do appreciate it.

My Cars
    2001 Ford Explorer V8 XLT, 2007 Mazda CX-7

HIDs, OBC message, Fuse

Okay guys. I installed my Xenons almost 2 months ago now and here is what I have found.

As far as the fuse goes. 15-20AMP is correct. Lower is safer in the long run. I had extra 20s when I was installing the HIDs so I popped them in when the stock ones blew.

On my 98, every time I turn on the headlights, the OBC displays the Low Beam Failure message. It stays on till I shut off the car and remove the key. Next time I start the car, no message until I turn on the headlights again.

The resistor pack I made that essentially fakes out the system by increasing the load to 60watts worked, in that it increased the load, but the OBC message still came up everytime I turned on the lights.

Another board member sent me a schematic of a relay/resistor circuit. I built that circuit and hooked it all up. No Dice. Lights work, relays switch on/off, etc. But the OBC message still shows.

My next test is to see if rewiring completely to have the headlight circuit only turn on the relays, powering the lights directly from the battery solves the issue. Haven't had time to try that yet since I have been taking Cisco tests and moving, etc.

So unless someone else has more info on the OBC and Headlight circuit, we are SOL for now. I will let you know how my rewire goes.
    '98 BMW 328is Alpine White
    M3 Exhaust, Illuminated M Shift Knob, Euro Alarm LED Module, In-Dash Business CD / HK Sound System, M3 Contours wrapped in offset size AVS ES100's, M Side Mouldings, Euro/HID Headlighted w/Clear Corners

Current unwanted "Features"--
    "Low Beam Failure" message

My Cars
    e36 M3
    joey.....it looks like your armed and almost dangerous... I've got a bentley manual with some wiring schematics...can that help?

Techno V M '98 M3 Coupe