RM European Auto Parts

Thread: 93 325i oil leak!!! need help!!!

Moraga (East Bay Area), California, SLO CA
    My Cars
    93' 325i... I miss my e23's e28 and Datsun though!

93 325i oil leak!!! need help!!!

The leak is getting out of control. I can see a puddle of fresh oil on the ground every time I park. I was told it was the Valve cover gasket, and I just finished swapping that out and it has not seemed to help at all.

It did look like it was coming from the valve gasket, but when I got under my car and took a closer look, it seems as if it is coming out of the head gasket. Is this possible? It does not appear that there is any coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant.

Most of the oil on the ground seems to be coming off the AC comp. and it seems to be dripping onto the AC comp from a mysterious bolt extending out of my block (see pic 1, lower right corner of the pic). Does anybody know what that bolt is there for?

Is there anything I should look for to help me determine what the #(%#@ is going on with my car?

Thanks!

I can't post pics yet, but I posted this on another board:

bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e36/7251608-1.html

My Cars
    '93 325i, '01 330 ci
    I have the same F@#$^@# problem. I can't find the source, but I seemed to have slowed it down by adding a hose clamp to the small and large hose that go to a connector on the bottom side of my intake elbow tube and I also replace the connector that has 2 hoses on it that goes into the top of the valve cover (crankcase ventilation tubes).
    Still have some leaking though. I was told to go to a place where they will steam clean the bottom side of the car, then run it for a few minutes until they see where it's coming from. We're pretty close to each other, we should go get a deal somewhere. I think I'm going to have my car towed to Edge soon. I'll keep you posted. Meanwhile, I have some stuff for sale off my car if you're looking! =)
    Search my name and look for the for sale thread.
    Gluck!

Moraga (East Bay Area), California, SLO CA
    My Cars
    93' 325i... I miss my e23's e28 and Datsun though!
    My car is stuck at my house in the Easy Bay Area right now. I came home for Thanksgiving break, I am gonna leave it here and finish up finals in SLO and then try to deal with it during my longer Winter break.

Do you think it could be the head gasket? Have you also replaced the valve cover gasket?

My Cars
    2004 m3
    hi,

if you think its the heads i would measure the compression to be sure. other wise you need to clean the engine good then put it up to check where its coming from exactly. You need to clean the engine. without this there is no way of telling exactly.

My Cars
    94 320i
    Maybe you didn't do the valve cover gasket properly. I had a similar problem, i solved it by puting RTV silicone in addition to a new gasket. works beautifully, and my car no longer smells like burning oil.

My Cars
    CBR 1000F
    Clean it off and then spray some Cruex on the area.
    Bei฿en Mein Wiener!

My Cars
    M3's , 330CI
    I belive that starnge bolt you are talking abought is your timing belt tensinor. Its to hard to tell where the leak is coming from in those pics your best bet is to actually CLEAN YOUR ENGINE very good and they sell a dye you can add to your engine oil that shows up under a UV lamp ( black light).

First clean motor spotless add dye and re-check. Might cost you 50 bucks in suplies but will save you from just trying to guess what is wrong.

• D R I V E A D D I C T • Eurosport TS E36 M3 • E36 M3/4 • 330CI ZHP •