Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853 ... LastLast

Thread: Another pair of Cobra Misano seats....interior makeover started!!

My Cars
    318iS
    Quote Originally Posted by azvin
    Is the leather for the seats the same as the leather your using? or did you just get the colors matched?
    Its exactly the same, I managed to track down the company that supplies Cobra with its leather same hide batch number...super lucky

Quote Originally Posted by snuggz
    This project is awesome... do you have previous experience with this stuff, or are you picking it up as you go along?
    Only from what I've learnt by doing the alcantara work, leathers quite abit different to work with so it's learning on the job basically

Quote Originally Posted by mclift
    How did you get the leather to match so well between the dash and the seats? I've been looking for a black leather to match my race seats so I can do the rear seats, dash, and doors, but even with black I can't seem to find just the right tone
    See one of my replies above found the leather supplier for Cobra

Follow the latest on facebook: www.facebook.com/projekte36

My Cars
    Triumph Daytona 675
    WOW that is gonna look soo nice and clean. Props to doing it yourself too.

PS: bonus points for Right hand drive!

My Cars
    ///M
    Absolutly stunning work! cant wait to see more its like watching a movie.....

My Cars
    06 M roadster
    How much do those seats weigh? Any closeup pics of the stitching? Did you use a machine, or do it by hand.

A tip for you would be to use chalk on the materials to mark where you're gonna cut, before you do it

My Cars
    F10, E30
    andy318is- Do you have any pointers or info for the few of us who like to DIY?

My Cars
    318iS
    Quote Originally Posted by s_ribbens
    andy318is- Do you have any pointers or info for the few of us who like to DIY?
    What sort of tips are you after? have you done any trimming before/ know the basics?

I'll help the best I can

PS, sunroof panel and rubber trim around the sunroof trimmed (right PITA!) in tan last night....pics to follow this evening (9am here atm)

My Cars
    F10, E30
    I don't know what to ask. I've read about it a bit, but doing it yourself always ends up different than how you read it.

My Cars
    318iS
    I don't know what to ask. I've read about it a bit, but doing it yourself always ends up different than how you read it.
    Best thing is to just try for yourself, like you said reading how to do something and then actually doing it can be very different! LOL

Tips,

Start simple, sunroof panel would be perfect.

Have a small(ish) brush to apply the glue 1/2" will be great. I have found cutting the brisels down (cut off about half the length) also helps alot, allows you to apply the glue with more control.

Let the glue 'tack up' before sticking the leather/alcantara on. Only do small strips at a time dont cover the whole thing in glue it in 1 go as the first bit will be dry just as you've finished paint the last.

Allow 1" of excess around the edge to allow tidy wrapping of the corners etc..

If working with leather then get yourself a powerfull hair dryer (no joke!) paint strippers are too powerful and can burn the leather if you not careful!! This is for heating the leather allowing you to stretch the leather over/around any difficult parts

HTH its all I can think of atm

My Cars
    F10, E30
    Awesome, thank you.

I'm curious why you are brushing glue on rather than using a spray. It seems a lot easier that way. Is it for extra strength needed with the weight of the leather vs. cloth or something?

My Cars
    98 M3/Vert, HONDUUUUH CIVIC
    beautiful man...keep up the good work

[img][/img]

My Cars
    318iS
    Awesome, thank you.

I'm curious why you are brushing glue on rather than using a spray. It seems a lot easier that way. Is it for extra strength needed with the weight of the leather vs. cloth or something?
    brushing it on allows you far more control of where the glue goes, spraying it on it kinda goes everywhere lol also with spraying you might get little voids where the spray glue has missed when applying it

I may use spray for the headlining though as the area is huge to be brushing glue on.

My Cars
    '11 1M, '13 Tacoma
    Quote Originally Posted by andy318iS
    brushing it on allows you far more control of where the glue goes, spraying it on it kinda goes everywhere lol also with spraying you might get little voids where the spray glue has missed when applying it

I may use spray for the headlining though as the area is huge to be brushing glue on.

As I said before, awesome work, but I just wanted to ask you how much leather did you end up buying for the whole job? Half-Hide? Whole Hide?

"We are the music makers...and we are the dreamers of dreams."

My Cars
    318iS
    Quote Originally Posted by ///M3///M5
    As I said before, awesome work, but I just wanted to ask you how much leather did you end up buying for the whole job? Half-Hide? Whole Hide?
    whole hide, 6.39 sq metres but I'm going to need more

My Cars
    '11 1M, '13 Tacoma
    whole hide, 6.39 sq metres but I'm going to need more
    Damn. I bet a whole hide cost you a pretty penny...

"We are the music makers...and we are the dreamers of dreams."

My Cars
    '03 X5 4.4i Sport, E320
    Quote Originally Posted by ///M3///M5
    Damn. I bet a whole hide cost you a pretty penny...
    No kidding. A hide here goes for $650 and up depending on quality from what I've seen. It makes vinyl a really attractive alternative at $15/yard. Another question I had was what type of glue are you using? I used some 3m super 90 spray glue for some of the suede stuff I've done, but its really expensive and I'm not terribly impressed with how its holding.

PICS OF STITCHING!!
    Todd Maurer
    Past - 5 E36s, 1 E39, 1 MB W210 E320, 1 GMC 6.5 ECLB, B6 A4 3.0 6 Spd Quattro
    Present - '05 E320 CDI, '06 VW TDI Jetta 5 Spd, '02 Ford F250 CCSB PSD, '02 Ducati Monster S4

Mods: 92* Thermostat, MB to BMW Wheel Adapters, 18" BMW Style 72 Wheels, Custom Mercedes-Benz Diesel Plate Frame

My Cars
    318iS
    Stitching as requested

Last edited by andy318iS; 01-11-2006 at 03:54 AM.

My Cars
    318iS
    finished sanding down the sunroof panel....needed another thin cost of filler to get it spot on. Couple of coats of oxide primer and it was ready for trimming

Already started leathering before I remembered to take a picture....lol its not hiding anything

All put together, sunroof with new trim, sunroof panel and the rubber trim (sunroof in tilt position to show all the bits)

Last edited by andy318iS; 01-11-2006 at 04:00 AM.

My Cars
    '03 X5 4.4i Sport, E320
    Ah, I thought you had to do some stitching on the center console stuff to get it to fit correctly. That sunroof looks sweet too!
    Todd Maurer
    Past - 5 E36s, 1 E39, 1 MB W210 E320, 1 GMC 6.5 ECLB, B6 A4 3.0 6 Spd Quattro
    Present - '05 E320 CDI, '06 VW TDI Jetta 5 Spd, '02 Ford F250 CCSB PSD, '02 Ducati Monster S4

Mods: 92* Thermostat, MB to BMW Wheel Adapters, 18" BMW Style 72 Wheels, Custom Mercedes-Benz Diesel Plate Frame

My Cars
    POS

*wacking* So sweeeeet! *wacking*:ylinlove
    Sunny Skies

My Cars
    93 E36 325i w/ euro S50B30, 07 E92 335i
    where did you get the dash parts? are they oem?

ayton is offline Rabbit in your headlights
    My Cars
    325ti, '14 Outback 6spd
    OMG splooge!

My Cars
    no matter how many times I look at the right hand drive car pictures, I still can't get use to it, looks so strange

My Cars
    318iS
    Quote Originally Posted by cedchung
    where did you get the dash parts? are they oem?
    Have you read any of this thread?!?!

Bandwidth exceed so I've changed my host for the last few new pictures

My Cars
    325i
    That is very impressive, I wish I had money to do mods that are that nice. Awesome work. Love it when guys do this stuff themselves. Keep it up!

My Cars
    1994 325ic
    please please please post more pics of your progress... the pics on the first page don't work and it's killing me...

Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853 ... LastLast