Thread: slightly modded m3 vs amg e55?

slightly modded m3 vs amg e55?

My step-dad has been talking trash ever since I got my 97 m3. He says all he'll have to do is casually press the accelerator in his merc E55 (which is damn fast, but has an automatic) and he will pull away from my "little bimmer". I have removed the air intake baffle, install shark injector s/w, and am putting in a K&N high performance filter today. I have found it fastest to drop the clutch at about 4000 for best starts and then redline it before shifting to 2nd. Do you guys think my "little bimmer" has it in it to pull away from a big AMG sedan? Ill let you guys know when the race goes down what the results were.

'97 cosmos m3 w/ conforti software upgrade

My Cars
    '96 Euro E36 M3 3.2L Cabrio
    I'm afraid to say that I think that an AMG E55 will easily beat a US M3 in a straight line but he'll need to be flooring it not 'casually pressing' the accelerator! It has 219hp per ton which is the same as an E46 M3. Even a 321hp Euro E36 M3 would have trouble beating an E55 and your small mods won't make a significant difference.

Let us know what the results are but I think you're going to be disappointed

Michael.

My Cars
    96' 993 911 C2
    Sorry dude, the E55 will eat our M3's. The E55 is competition for the M5, not our M3's. Besides with that big V8, you're just gonna get smaller and smaller in his rear view.
    <font size="1">Jimmy

Porsche Carrera
    Bilsteins/ROW M030 | BBS RE | GT2 CF Spoiler | GT2 Splitter | OEM Aero Ib side skirts | Alpine CDA-9835 / KCA-420i | 6000K HID | RSR Exhaust / Techart Tips | 97' ECU |

the reason I think it'll be close is because i heard someone was running a 13.9 second 1/4 in a stock m3. The C&D review of the E55 quoted it at 13.9 for the 1/4. M3's are supposed to be able to hit 60 in 5.6. The E55 is quoted at 5.5. These numbers are very close. Plus I have felt a noticeable increase in power/torque from each of my three mods (jc shark injector, removed baffle, K&N filtercharger). You have to admit that it would be damn cool if I could eek one out against a big brute like the E55.

'97 cosmos m3 w/ conforti software upgrade

My Cars
    d

tru tru

it would be damn nice if you could pull it off.... but being able to run a 14 flat means an excellent driver (not that i'm doubting your skills any). i've always read that the e55 was big competition for the new m5... never seen or heard of the numbers u quoted, but keep us updated if u end up racing!!

My Cars
    '96 Euro E36 M3 3.2L Cabrio
    Remember, the E55 figures (5.5 0-60, 13.9 1/4 - same figures in UK car mag EVO btw) are done in an automatic so even the worst driver could just mash the throttle and get those numbers. You're going to have to be very skillful to get 5.6 0-60 in your M3.

By the way, don't dump the clutch at 4000 too often - unless you want to be buying a new clutch real soon!

Michael.

dumping the clutch at 4k should just produce a ton of wheelspin and end up going nowhere. for a quicker 60 foot time, i would have it at 3k and let it out more smoothly (not dump). i have tested many different rpms and dumping vs letting out and dumping either gets wheelspin or makes the car bog. the more smooth release of the clutch gives you a chance to keep the revs high enough to not bog but not too high as to spin the wheels into oblivion.
    Tommy aka TampaTurboM3
    95 AA turbo M3
    11.679 @ 118.79 1/4 mile 11/20/2004
    Daily Driven, Stock Looking