RM European Auto Parts

Thread: what to use to clean the engine bay?

My Cars
    M3, swapped e30

what to use to clean the engine bay?

what do you guys recommend for cleaning the engine bay?
    thanks

My Cars
    1996 328is, 2004 Audi AllRoad 4.2
    A biodegradable degreaser, fantastic, simple green, or similar. Use a stiff brush, tooth brush for small areas. Don't leave on aluminum surfaces too long (over night), as it will discolor. Wash off with hot water, or a high pressure washer. Mind the electrical connectors, don't hit directly with the pressure washer. The connectors are well sealed, but be careful. It will likely take several complete washes to get it perfectly clean. When you're done, wipe all the plastic & rubber parts with a protectant, Vynil-X is preferred, made by the Lexol people.

My Cars
    Various junk
    I agree with the biodegradable degreaser. But, I had some Gunk Engine Brite hanging around, and it works like gangbusters on tough grime/grease. I warmed up the car a tiny bit, just to get it slightly warm, then sprayed down the entire engine bay, after covering the fuse box (this was on my E30).

I let it sit 5 mins, then agitated the tough grime with a brush, then hosed it off using as little water as possible. I wouldn't recommend a pressure washer. I would agitate as many dirty surfaces like the strut towers etc with the brush. Low pressure water is your friend. Even with the low pressure, I had bad spark plug boots so water crept into the spark plug holes, so I had to dry the holes out with paper towels and a heat gun.

My Cars
    95 M3, 01, 09 X5, 11 M3
    Compressed air

My Cars
    '95 M3
    I used to detail for a dealership and im not sure if its only meant for new cars but you can get a combination of new car solvent and quick shine if its really dirty or just the quick shine i would imagine the solvent isnt that great to leave on there. If you do use it, use it first and then the quick shine. just spray it on and wipe excess with a towel. you can get both from a company called automagic. be sure not to get the solvent on the paint or youll have to re-wax it. If your trying to get a little more in-depth than just the visible stuff then i cant help you but that should do it. Hope that helps.