Thread: No idea what this is.....

My Cars
    2001 E39 525I

Question No idea what this is.....

Anyone have any ideas on what this is? I found it after I installed my ZKW Ellipsoids and HIDs. It just kind of appeared magically in the engine bay It doesn't seem to be too important as the car still drives wonderfully and no errors reported by computer. Any inputs or insights would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
    Slagboy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Past: 1998 E36 M3 / 2001 E39 525I
    Present: Non-BMW
    Future: E39 540i6 or M5

My Cars
    2001 E39 525I
    And one more shot...
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    328is, M5, 533i

I think its the external temp sensor

mines is dangling down behind my headlights. Does anyone know if its supposed to be secured somewhere?

Jim Eagan
    97 328is 64k:

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    the external temp sensor is located in the driver's side brake duct, the passenger side contains the sensor for those cars equipped with headlight washers.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    2001 E39 525I
    Great! It means that I just need to find a good place to secure it down.

Thanks for the quick info fellow BF.com members! :
    Slagboy.

My Cars
    1997 Dakar Yellow M3
    Originally posted by Kevlar
    the external temp sensor is located in the driver's side brake duct, the passenger side contains the sensor for those cars equipped with headlight washers.
    Are you sure? I thought that it was for the windshield washer nozzles. Supposedly, they only heat when it's below a certain temperature. :

My Cars
    99 M3, 04 Kawi ZX6RR
    There is a hole in the brake duct on the passenger side. Thats where it goes.

My Cars
    '95 Avus blue M3
    The hole in the side of the passenger side brake duct is where it goes. Take off the porkchop (if you have it) and just snap it in place.

My Cars
    2005 M3
    Originally posted by Kevlar
    I don't think that is true since I also have that sensor installed on my passenger side brake duct and I don't have headlight washers.
    James
    2005 Imola Red M3 - VF Stage I Supercharged Street/Track Car
    E46 M3 VF Engineering Stage I Supercharger DIY

My Cars
    '95 Avus blue M3
    I don't have the headlight washers either, but I do have the sensor. Well actually only half of the sensor. On a cross country trip, my porkchop and brake duct flew off...the sensor drug for about 700 miles.

My Cars
    ?
    Yeah, that is the the temp sensor for the windshield washer noozle heater. There is a bracket on the brake duct to snap it in.

My Cars
    2001 E39 525I
    Thanks for the further replies. I'll see if I can't squeeze in some time to investigate and check the brake ducts. I'll let you guys know the results.

Thanks again!
    Slagboy

My Cars
    E36 M3 Evolution, Me
    Originally posted by r6e36
    Yeah, that is the the temp sensor for the windshield washer noozle heater. There is a bracket on the brake duct to snap it in.
    This is right. The sensor in the left brake duct (looking from rear of car-your drivers side) is external temp for the display.

BTW easiest way to put the sensor back home is flick out your right hand foglight. (looking from rear of the car-passenger side) Look through the foglight void and the hole in which it lives (side of brake duct) should be right in front of you.

Rory

My Cars
    '99 Alpine White M3
    Wait a minute...Arent we talking about two different things here? In my driver side brake duct, theres a hole, into which gets mounted the external temp sensor, from the fog light side...Its a long inch and a halfish dark gray plastic probe, which you should be able to feel if you stick your hand into the driver side brake duct...As you look at it head on, its on your right side of the inside of teh duct.l

But whats the pic here is showing is a round disk. So thats clearly not the external air temp sensor, at least, not the one that goes in the brake duct...NOw, isnt it possible that this disk sensor is for the windsheild washer nozzle? Also, our mirrors are supposed to be heated, depending on ambient temps...Although mine have never worked properly, couldnt this disk be for that? None of us have the headlight washers, as they were not US Spec items, I believe, but I suppose its possible that this disk could be a vestigal sensor for that function as well.
    '11 AW 135i ; Sold: '99 White M3 81k mi; Dinan SC kit, 6"/3.48" sc pulleys, Aftercooler: 10.5 psi-367 SAE rwhp/304 rwftlbs @80 degrees ambient (still with OBDII manifold & stock cats); DynoTuning by Nick G (techniquetuning.com); Speed Shop: Imported Cars of Stamford; AA-Aquamist Water Injection, exhaust, clutch; Fikse FM-10s; Koni Suspension; Stealthboxes

http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/boostm3/