Thread: new car, key question

My Cars
    White/Tan '97 328i 5 speed

Question new car, key question

Hi everybody,

I just purchased a '97 328i, 4 door, 5 speed, it's in excellent condition and I'm grinning ear to ear everytime I get into it.

The problem is, it only came with one key. I got a new one from the dealer and it didn't unlock the doors or start the car. When I asked, they then told me I needed to get it programmed. Allright, I need to call the service dept and make an appointment for them to do that, no big deal. I was comparing the new key to my current key and the cuts are obviously not the same. So, if this is the correct key, should it unlock the doors even if it hasn't been programmed or did they get me the wrong key.

Thanks for any info.

casey

My Cars
    96 328is Sprt Pkg
    uh

sounds like they screwed you

they should have the same cuts on the key and it should work without any "programming" of the key

The key will work in the doors/trunk even if the chip in the key is missing/wrong

My Cars
    3er
    Originally posted by SS328
    The key will work in the doors/trunk even if the chip in the key is missing/wrong

This theoretically means that anyone's key can open any other person's BMW of that model. I don't know about that...

My Cars
    96 328is Sprt Pkg
    uhm..

Think about it?

the key is not a blank key.. its a cut key like every other key in the world.. it will not work unless the key works in the lock cylinder..

I have a key with a damaged chip.. will open my doors/trunk but wont start the car.. I can swap the chip with the valet key and start my car with it...

My Cars
    mine
    Originally posted by clor0x

This theoretically means that anyone's key can open any other person's BMW of that model. I don't know about that...

My Cars
    White/Tan '97 328i 5 speed
    Originally posted by SS328
    uh

sounds like they screwed you

they should have the same cuts on the key and it should work without any "programming" of the key

Thanks for the info, that's how I was thinking it should work. After I first tried the key, I told the people in the parts dept that it wouldn't even unlock the doors and they told me that it might need to be programmed before it unlocked the doors. I didn't get a chance to look at the cuts until later.

Oh well, back to the dealer to try again.

casey